Thread: Sharkoon USB3 Quickport

Registered+
    Thanks

Sharkoon USB3 Quickport

Scan sell a basic Sharkoon Quickport with USB2. They also sell a model with USB and eSATA connectors, along with a pair of USB2 sockets and a card reader.

I see a model with USB3 only, but nothing with USB3 and the other ports/connectors. Is this not yet available at all, or have I just missed something on Scan's website?

Thanks

Re: Sharkoon USB3 Quickport

Quote Originally Posted by michaelg View Post
    Scan sell a basic Sharkoon Quickport with USB2. They also sell a model with USB and eSATA connectors, along with a pair of USB2 sockets and a card reader.

I see a model with USB3 only, but nothing with USB3 and the other ports/connectors. Is this not yet available at all, or have I just missed something on Scan's website?
    Have you checked one exists on sharkoons own site? Then you can link to it here and ask for it.

Thanks

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like such model exist yet. It's a shame because while USB 3.0 is less common than eSATA at the moment (making the later more useful on older PC), but I can also see USB 3.0 become the standard especially for laptops. I found this thread because I was looking up for a USB 3.0 + eSATA combo too.

Registered+
    Thanks

From what I have read so far, in the real world, eSATA is still faster than USB 3, so having both would be a terrific option. It would also be really handy to have an additional pair of USB 3 ports up on the desktop! For good measure, a Gigbit ethernet connector would round things off nicely

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaelg View Post
    From what I have read so far, in the real world, eSATA is still faster than USB 3, so having both would be a terrific option. It would also be really handy to have an additional pair of USB 3 ports up on the desktop! For good measure, a Gigbit ethernet connector would round things off nicely
    Yep, I like those caddies & things. Put it all in one with their usb server too

Registered+
    Thanks

Are you saying such a beast is available? Or just that you would like one if it were? I'm hoping it's just a matter of time before they release a Quickport with everything!

Registered+
    Thanks

I guess this would be ideal if it were USB3 instead of USB2! Especially if the front USB ports were USB3 as well. (Incidentally, is there any reason why there don't seem to be any USB 3 hubs available?)

Thanks

Seems this is coming out
    http://www.techpowerup.com/120000/Sh...ith_eSATA.html

You could always write to sharkoon and request what you want, they seem to be releasing a whole bunch of docks, maybe you will get lucky!

Registered+
    Thanks

I actually did write to them, and they said to keep an eye on this space (meaning their website)... so that sounds promising. Odd "press release" from techpowerup - most of the models they mention have been available for quite a while!

Thanks

There will probably be a better range when usb3 is more mainstream, its still got a hefty markup at the moment. FYI I saw a Newlink USB3 dock for about £25, and I am sure Sumvision will make one in due course too (both have handy usb2 pod range at the moment). When these are out there should be more range and lower prices coming through!

Thread Information