• Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Samsung, 20" ViewSonic
      • Internet:
      • O2 HomeBroadband 18Mb (Actual)

2TB Samsung HD203WI not detected/working

Hey,
    Recently bought this HDD and on installing in a new build system it was not detected under bios. Booted the system up anyway into recovery console (using an old HDD) and loaded DISKPART in cmd to see if I could initialise the disc drive in there but had no luck as the drive didn't show up, only the one that I had booted off.

I then removed the drive from the system and plugged it into a sata-usb connector I had lying around and pluged it into a Windows 7 machine. Opened up the disk managment console and the drive was detected as new. I went to initialise the drive but repeatedly got the message 'Device not ready'. After around an hour of disconnecting and re-connecting the drive it allowed me to initialse it, GREAT. Copied some files across and replaced the drive in the new machine.

When I powered on the machine however the drive span up and began making clicking and grinding sounds. So I powered down the machine and came to the conclusion that it was faulty.
    Got my parents to take the drive back to Scan where the drive was tested and found to be working fine but was replaced anyway as I had gotten the drive to work temporarily and the fault was possibly intermitent.
    Installed the new drive, same problems. Not detected in bios and not wokring in an external disc caddie.

I've tried different power connectors, data cables, different SATA ports, another caddie and another machine all to no avail; I even flashed the BIOS to the most recent version in case it was not detecting the drive because it was large cappacity. Basically I am out of ideas and I don't see there being two mechanical faults with the same model HDD.

Sorry for the long post but I'm tottaly out of ideas. Two other drives are recognised fine on the same motherboard (two other disc drives from a previous machine) just this one that is acting up.#
    *EDIT* Kinda want to get this fixed quick too cos it's my new WHS and I'm currently without all my media and music :S it's too bloody quiet around here without that

Motherboard : Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3
    HDD : 2TB Samsung HD203WI Spinpoint F3EG

Cheers
    Last edited by Goldfish92; 19-06-2010 at 10:34 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Goldfish92's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFi Lanparty LP MI P55-T36
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 660
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair 1333MHz
      • Storage:
      • 320GB OS, 2TB Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB Saphire 5770 VapourX
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG-06
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Samsung, 20" ViewSonic
      • Internet:
      • O2 HomeBroadband 18Mb (Actual)

Re: 2TB Samsung HD203WI not detected/working

OK posted this somewhere else too and got a response indicating a compatability problem with the drives firmware and certain AMD chipsets...

Was given a link to this firmware update : http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...bbs_msg_id=308

"this patch code is released in order to solve the compatibilty problem between SB580 chipset and
    F3 + F3EG model."

Will give this a shot when I have some free time but sounds more than likley that this will solve the problem

Thanks

Re: 2TB Samsung HD203WI not detected/working

yep, sounds like it will sort it.

were they usb caddies or esata caddies you tried?

Thread Information