• Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP-HC

Gaming Desktop to Micro Atx / mini-ITX Gaming box

Hi guys

I currently have the following gaming set up and I'm looking to reduce the physical space that my machine takes up.

Intel Core i5 3570K
    8GB 2x4GB CML8GX3M2A1600C9 (x2)
    Asus P8Z77-V PRO Z77
    750W CORSAIR CMPSU-750AXUK
    Gigabyte 660 GTX OC Windforce SLI
    500GB Samsung Evo 840

I'm looking at getting a Micro ATX build but I want to keep my SSD, RAM, and anything else I can, that's probably all I can keep... maybe my CPU but not sure there's much point.

I was wondering if Scan would be able to build me a barebones machine. Micro Atx / mini-ITX case, motherboard, CPU (if you recommend moving away from the 3570K), PSU? I would also like a GTX 970 also... as I wouldn't be able to use my 660 and would prefer a single card to an SLI setup.

If so how do I go about getting a price together?

Thanks

Mark

UPDATE

Can my existing PSU be reused?
    Last edited by markbrown83; 05-05-2015 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

Re: Gaming Desktop to Micro Atx / mini-ITX Gaming box

Hey Mark,

Just to clarify, I don't work for Scan, just giving some friendly advice.

What case do you currently use? This way we have a ball park of what you consider too large.

Next, whilst the 3570k is still a very good processor and there aren't large gains to be had by moving up a generation, you may struggle to find an 1155 M-ATX or M-ITX motherboard. Regarding your 660 SLI. Whilst I imagine there will be some M-ATX cases that will fit SLI, you will have to use a single card if you decide to use an M-ITX case and motherboard.

Also, you will not need to upgrade your PSU to power a 970, they are extremely efficient graphics cards.

On the plus side, if you have to replace, your motherboard, processor and graphics cards to 'slim' down I don't believe you will have much of an issue trying to sell these on to someone (a la the Hexus Classifieds or you preferred on-line auctioning website etc.)

Once again, just a little bit of friendly advice. I'm sure someone from Scan will be along shortly to help you.

3. Received thanks from:

markbrown83 (05-05-2015)

Thanks
    • markbrown83's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP-HC

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jowsey View Post

What case do you currently use? This way we have a ball park of what you consider too large.
    I currently use the following:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsa...usb-30-w-o-psu

Next, whilst the 3570k is still a very good processor and there aren't large gains to be had by moving up a generation, you may struggle to find an 1155 M-ATX or M-ITX motherboard. Regarding your 660 SLI. Whilst I imagine there will be some M-ATX cases that will fit SLI, you will have to use a single card if you decide to use an M-ITX case and motherboard.
    Yes, I was looking at getting rid of my two 660's and getting a 970.

If I have to get a new motherboard and cpu (most likely RAM too) then that's fine.

Also, you will not need to upgrade your PSU to power a 970, they are extremely efficient graphics cards.
    Can my existing PSU be used in a Mini ITX case?

As you say I think it will be easy to sell my existing rig but I would want my new one first and then move what I can into that then sell on old parts.

I really don't want to end up spending a grand, replacing all components as there's nothing wrong with them.

I really just want to buy a barebones machine without SSD, OS etc but pre built so I don't have to mess around.

Thanks again.

Mark

Thanks
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

Quote Originally Posted by markbrown83 View Post
    Yes, I was looking at getting rid of my two 660's and getting a 970.

If I have to get a new motherboard and cpu (most likely RAM too) then that's fine.
    If you choose M-ITX, there will only be 2 DIMM slots so you would only be able to use 8GB of your current RAM. Most M-ATX boards have 4 DIMM slots so you would be able to carry over all of your RAM.

Can my existing PSU be used in a Mini ITX case?
    Unless you want to use something like a Raven RVZ01 your current PSU should be okay (length permitting). Most ITX cases take a standard ATX PSU. Do you have your eye on any cases? We may be able to give you more specific guidance.

As you say I think it will be easy to sell my existing rig but I would want my new one first and then move what I can into that then sell on old parts.

Mark
    I agree. I would imagine you'd be able to recoup a nice little chunk of your costs of upgrading.

I imagine someone from Scan will soon be in contact and they will be able to offer specific guidance regarding a bare bones system for you. If you want any more general advice feel free to keep asking.

Thanks
    • markbrown83's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP-HC

If you choose M-ITX, there will only be 2 DIMM slots so you would only be able to use 8GB of your current RAM. Most M-ATX boards have 4 DIMM slots so you would be able to carry over all of your RAM.

Unless you want to use something like a Raven RVZ01 your current PSU should be okay (length permitting). Most ITX cases take a standard ATX PSU. Do you have your eye on any cases? We may be able to give you more specific guidance.

I agree. I would imagine you'd be able to recoup a nice little chunk of your costs of upgrading.

I imagine someone from Scan will soon be in contact and they will be able to offer specific guidance regarding a bare bones system for you. If you want any more general advice feel free to keep asking.
    What would you go for, ITX or ATX?

I suppose, maybe what I need is a recommendation / price (from Scan) for a motherboard, cpu, case, ram that will be able to take a 970 gtx and my existing psu. Everything else I can just sell on reuse in this system like my SSD.

Thanks
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

What would you go for, ITX or ATX?

I suppose, maybe what I need is a recommendation / price (from Scan) for a motherboard, cpu, case, ram that will be able to take a 970 gtx and my existing psu. Everything else I can just sell on reuse in this system like my SSD.
    Well, personally I'm about to go to an M-ITX system as of tomorrow (the one in "My System"). For space issues. This way it can go on my desk next to my monitor and I can reclaim a chunk of floor space back! I'm coming from a pretty large full tower case, a Bitfenix Survivor. You can get some very compact M-ATX cases. The Bitfenix Prodigy M is the same size as the ITX version and would let you keep all your RAM and your PSU*. Then find yourself a motherboard, processor and GPU and you're good to go. These things are mostly about taste if you ask me though! I think the Prodigy M is as small as a M-ATX case will get though. For ITX have a look at the Corsair 250D, beautiful case.

* Just! Your PSU is 160mm long, so is the maximum depth the Prodigy could take

Thanks
    • markbrown83's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP-HC

Well, personally I'm about to go to an M-ITX system as of tomorrow (the one in "My System"). For space issues. This way it can go on my desk next to my monitor and I can reclaim a chunk of floor space back! I'm coming from a pretty large full tower case, a Bitfenix Survivor. You can get some very compact M-ATX cases. The Bitfenix Prodigy M is the same size as the ITX version and would let you keep all your RAM and your PSU*. Then find yourself a motherboard, processor and GPU and you're good to go. These things are mostly about taste if you ask me though! I think the Prodigy M is as small as a M-ATX case will get though. For ITX have a look at the Corsair 250D, beautiful case.

* Just! Your PSU is 160mm long, so is the maximum depth the Prodigy could take
    I've just checked the height of the Bitfenix, it's not that much lower than my current case...

Now I'm wondering what to do... maybe I should just treat myself to a 970 and get rid of the two 660s...

What do you know about gpu performance... will I notice much of a difference going from 660 OC SLI to a 970 OC?

Thread Information