Thread: GTX 980ti HDMI not working but DVI works fine

Thanks

GTX 980ti HDMI not working but DVI works fine

Good evening I hope everyone is doing well I hope someone can help me with this problem!

I purchased this 980TI just over 2 years ago from scan.co.uk and it has worked fine since I had it. Long story short, I DVI works fine but HDMI doesn't.
    When the screen is idling, it just idles. If I plug the HDMI into it, it goes "No video" and goes to sleep.

I have tried the following:

- New HDMI cable
    - Trying the card in a friend's computer: He usually uses a 1080 and mine didn't work in his.
    - Trying two other cards in my machine: Both 1080 and GTX 660
    - Trying the screen with Playstation 4 (works fine with both HDMI cables)
    - Trying two different screens
    - Trying safe mode
    - Reinstalling drivers
    - Reinstalling Windows 10
    - Cleaning the card
    - My friend's 1080 works in my machine through HDMI but my 980 does not.

I contacted Scan and explained this to them. The gentleman on the phone told me that it sounded like the HDMI port had died and they asked me to return it to them which made sense to me.

I then received an email from them saying that no fault was found and it works fine their end and they sent it back to me.

I got the card back today and the same issue is present.

Now, assuming that Scan was correct and it worked fine on their machine, what on Earth is going wrong?

I am absolutely convinced that there is a fault with the HDMI port but I know that the scan technical guys and girls know what they are doing at the same time. Is there any possibility that an error has been made?

For a bit of context, I am a final year BSc Computer Science student with plenty of gaming PC experience and I don't think I am missing anything obvious.

Thank you so much to anyone who can help me with this. Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
    • Phat_Monkey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Rog Maximus X Formula
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700k
      • Memory:
      • 64G DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 3 SSD 3HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X Trio
      • PSU:
      • Corsair ATX 1200
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Predator Z35

Re: GTX 980ti HDMI not working but DVI works fine

Have u tried a firmware upgrade / flash GPU bios?
    Look into the model / make of your card and see which is the latest bios version for it...
    Could be a good last resort...

Ravens Nest

Seems odd you've tried it in a friends and your PC and that other GPU's work fine on your PC and then SCAN check it and say nothings wrong.. seems very strange.

When you say cleaning the card, was it just the PCI express gold contacts or the HDMI connection that you cleaned? with rubbing alcohol and some earbuds.

Looks to me you've done pretty much everything you can, if it doesn't work on a friends PC and 2 different GPU's worked fine on yours and you have checked the screen and tried others then they're isn't much else really you can do your end.

Like Phat_Monkey said do the GPU bios flash if there is a newer one available, and your motherboard too.

I think personally SCAN have made a mistake..

Are you Gaming at 1080p? if so then DVI is enough for that, but any higher you need HDMI also i dont think G-sync works through DVI.

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Nest View Post
    Are you Gaming at 1080p? if so then DVI is enough for that, but any higher you need HDMI also i dont think G-sync works through DVI.
    If the DVI cable & port support dual-link, you should be able to run a monitor at up to 2560x1440p @ 60Hz. G-sync only works through Displayport, I believe.

If you're running at 1080p, you could always buy a cheap DVI to HDMI cable or adapter, as a workaround...

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Can you plug in a second monitor and check what the video settings are on the hdmi port? If it is set to something silly you might not get a signal.

It could also be that the port only works at low resolutions when the signal rate is lower, perhaps Scan tried it on a low end monitor?

Thanks

Good morning, everyone and thank you for your replies.

I have now had my card checked by the lovely postgraduates at the University of Essex Games Hub and the exact same problem is occuring there.

Their machines work with their own graphics cards but then when mine is put in, the HDMI port puts nothing out but the DVI works fine.

I am going to pop the card in to a local computer shop on Monday and ask if they can run one final test as a neutral party to confirm either one way or the other and then if they also get the same thing then I will gather my evidence and contact Scan again.

I don't want to upset Scan as I find them to be a brilliant company but I need this to be sorted.

I have tried to mess about with video settings but the computer doesn't even recognise screens which are plugged into the HDMI port.

Thanks

Just an update for anyone who happens to be following this, the card is still faulty and I shall be contacted Scan in the morning.

Thread Information