Thread: Concerned about delivery being too large for DPD pickup?

Thanks

Concerned about delivery being too large for DPD pickup?

Hi,

I was really disappointed to find out my recent order was refused by the UPS pickup point I'd chosen at checkout
    and was sent back to sender, so I'm currently waiting for it to arrive back to Scan so they can hopefully ship it back out.
    Scan offered to re-send it to another DPD pickup location, so I opted for Doddle thinking they're a more reliable pick-up location.

However, I'm now concerned that the same thing could end up happening again since the package is quite large,
    (contains a case among other things) and UPS tracking stated it was nearly 19kg.
    And Doddle are known to refuse packages if they have run out of space.

Is this an irrational concern? I have a horrible gut feeling that it's just going to keep bouncing between pickup locations
    and get stuck in some shipping limbo along the way..

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Re: Concerned about delivery being too large for DPD pickup?

Couriers should know in advance from the collection order how big/heavy something is and make space in the van to accomodate.
    Pick-Up locations are, unfortunately, stuffed as far as available space to receive customer orders go, so if someone in your town has ordered five motor yachts and a baby cot to the local Amazon Locker or summat, you're screwed.

But to be honest, something big enough to weigh 19kgs from a computer retailer is likely a full-on PC, and probably cost more than my car... at which point I'd take the day off and receive the package directly at home, or have a trusted friend receive it for me.

Thanks

Unfortunately taking a day off isn't really possible, what I don't really understand is why if a drop-off can't receive it, it can't be re-arranged or sent to another nearby drop-off and is instead sent back literally 200 miles to be sent back 200 miles again, I guess it's just easier not to have to administrate these petty problems. But if Scan provides the option to use these, which means they have partnered with DPD, UPS, etc. then customers are going to use them and some degree of preparation and foresight for these potential issues should be considered. I know it's not strictly Scans responsibility, but they will have greater influence over the process than we small-time customers have.

When trying to deal with my UPS delivery gone wrong, I was told that something to do with how Scan chose to ship the package,
    meant that it couldn't be re-delivered to another address, there may be a good security related reason for this, but ultimately this ordeal is bound to happen plenty more times and is wasteful in all sorts of ways.

Well anyway.. the package has arrived back at Scan now, awaiting an update on whether it will be shipped back.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee_cake View Post
    When trying to deal with my UPS delivery gone wrong, I was told that something to do with how Scan chose to ship the package, meant that it couldn't be re-delivered to another address
    Depends what options (if any) are available to the retailer. Some couriers don't offer them a choice...

I have a similar problem with APC, even though DPD, UPS, Hermes and even Royal Fail/Parcel Farce all have several ways around the problem.

But yeah, in some cases all it takes is a hack of your email and all your parcels could (in theory) be re-routed to my house. Thanks for the PC, and several grand's worth of other stuff!
    That's why options on that side of things are often so limited.

Registered+
    Thanks

I had few deliveries where the sender has prevented the delivery to local shop, only directly to home available due to value of the item. Still delivery is the weakest part of online ordering process and I still don't understand how many courier companies get away with 8am to 6pm slot in this day and age !!

Thread Information