Thread: I'd be wary to order from SCAN again - their RMA process is dubious

Thanks

I'd be wary to order from SCAN again - their RMA process is dubious

After several years since last ordering from SCAN, I decided to place a new order recently.

I ordered a 650VA UPS (390W output) to protect my desktop PC from very brief power outages (lasting just seconds) that have occurred in my area in the past.

On the day that the UPS arrived, I did some basic tests with it. I started by plugging it in to a power meter/tester (which shows things such as power being drawn in watts, etc.) which in turn was plugged in to a wall power socket. This way I'd be able to ensure I was drawing a power load that's well within the spec of the UPS.

Then, I did my first basic test: With just a few peripherals connected (cable modem, WiFi router, network switch, etc.), which were drawing a small load of only around 40W in total according to the power meter, I turned off the switch at the wall socket to simulate a power failure. The UPS immediately took over and power to those peripherals was maintained. After about 3 seconds, I turned on the switch at the wall socket again to restore normal mains power.

The battery charging light on the front of the UPS then blinked for a minute or so as it ensured it was charged back to 100%. At that point the status lights indicated it was ready and operating normally.

Then, about an hour later I did my second basic test. With the addition of my PC and monitors connected to the UPS and turned on, I could see that I was then drawing a total load hovering below 300W when the PC was idle, and just over 300W when the CPU was under load. This confirmed that I'd sized the UPS spec appropriately, as I was operating well under the 390W output capacity.

While watching the power meter to ensure the total load was still around the 300W level, I turned off the switch at the wall socket to simulate a power failure again. Immediately, power to the PC, monitors, and other peripherals was lost. The UPS did not take over, and the consequence was the same as if there'd been a power failure with no UPS present. Obviously, this meant the UPS could not be relied on to provide emergency power in the event of a power failure for my PC. Just prior to switching off the wall socket, the UPS status lights were indicating that everything was fine and that the UPS was supporting the connected equipment. Yet, as soon as the power was cut, the UPS didn't spring into action and didn't manage to stop the power being lost to the connected equipment. Basically, it didn't do anything. No, clearly this UPS would provide no peace of mind. It couldn't be trusted.

So on that same day I raised an RMA with SCAN to return the UPS for a refund. Because it didn't provide any protection at all in my second test, I indicated that it was faulty.

Within a few days of SCAN receiving the item back, I get an email from SCAN saying "Status Notification - Items Tested, No Fault Found", and that I should contact their returns staff. Viewing the status of the RMA online, I could see the notes that they'd added: "UPS tested using Scan test bench, After fully charged disconnected power from main UPS did take over fine and power to my desktop PC and monitor works fine. No issue".

No mention of what the power draw on the UPS was at the time of their test. I imagine their test was done somewhere between 40W and 300W, the two levels I'd tested. Also, by saying to me in no uncertain terms, that there is no fault, they are essentially saying to me that I'm lying.

When I phoned, the only extra information the person I spoke to could provide was that their technician had turned off the mains power and the UPS had operated on battery power for 25 minutes. Well, the runtime is not really of any relevance to this particular case, what I cared about first and foremost is that the UPS would take over in the event of a power cut and in my testing that didn't happen.

Anyway, the customer service person arranged for a refund to occur under the 14 day procedure, which I'm told I should receive in 3-5 business days. But my concern here is about what would have happened if this was not an immediate return and was not done within 14 days. Imagine that. There would now be awkwardness, frustration, and arguments about how to proceed. I've done valid tests on my side, I've told them it's faulty, and yet SCAN say to me "Items Tested, No Fault Found". My word against theirs. If I was outside the 14 day period, the process of receiving the refund would now be very dubious.

I don't think I'll be inclined to order from SCAN in future.

Thanks

Re: I'd be wary to order from SCAN again - their RMA process is dubious

The UPS had a feature whereby, if the load on it from the connected equipment exceeded what it could deliver from its battery, it would make beeping noises and the status lights on the front would flash.

At the time when I did my 2nd test, which was to switch off the mains power while my PC was connected, the UPS was not making any beeping noises and the status lights on the front of it were indicating that everything was hunky-dory. In other words, what it was telling me is that I was protected.

The replies so far have missed the point. The point of my post is that after returning the item to SCAN they said there's nothing wrong with it. If it wasn't for the fact that I was still inside the 14-day window, then based on SCAN's interpretation of the situation, I would have been in a spot of bother with regards to the refund. That's what makes me uncomfortable about ordering again from SCAN in the future.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Please note that this is not a general discussion forum, but one for SCAN staff to reply to. If the OP wishes to have a forum discussion then he should post in the main HEXUS forums. With regret I have deleted the no - Scan posts. (For the avoidance of doubt I am not a Scan employee or have any connection with Scan other than as a customer - but I am a HEXUS administrator (unpaid ))
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    then might I remake the past suggestion that the branding of this forum area be made clearer to differentiate it from the general forum. it appears in the latest posts list same as any other thread and send to rely solely on users checking the header bar once in the thread which isn't realistic one the thread is a few posts in. just color it differently and we'd spot it and know to avoid it
    Isn't "care@HEXUS - official customer support forums" clear enough? It certainly has been for the last 14 years I have been on the boards...

And someone posting here might expect a response from the retailer - rather than a free for all creating noise where the useful retailer response might be lost. But if you want to raise this again - one of the HEXUS forums is the place to do it.

I'm closing this thread until Scan staff see fit to re-open it so they can reply to the OP.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Isn't "care@HEXUS - official customer support forums" clear enough? It certainly has been for the last 14 years I have been on the boards...
    I always thought the Scan logo and the large menu that redirects to their product categories was a broad hint, too.

Thread Information