Thread: Event 51 errors.

Thanks

Event 51 errors.

Back late November 2005, I took delivery of my new £1200 PC, put it all togather, and whoosh all is good. Fast forward to January 2006 and I begin to

experience; slow load speeds, random crashes and an Event 51 error in the log. No matter what I did I could not get the drive formatted, or windows to load,

I finally gave up and sent all the bits back to the shop for testing and every part passed, when received back I pieced it all back togather and whoosh all

is good once again, but I was £50 worse off taken postage and returning the products to me into account.

Fast forward once again to March 2006 and once again problems start to arrise and it looks like I am in the same boat again, I took the plunge and purchased

a second smaller hard drive to use for Windows, and all seemed ok until now that is, where I am seeing the most amount of errors I have ever had.

These are the range of errors I am receiving

The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort2, is not ready for access yet.
    An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom1 during a paging operation.
    The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.
    An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.
    An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.
    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.
    The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume F

My system is in my eyes quite good:
    XFX 256 gf 7800gt
    250G Samsung sata2
    80G Samsung Sata2
    corsier 2 gig ram
    580w Hyper modular power supply
    Asus A8N-SLI Premium
    AMD 3800 X2

I have looked all over the web since this problem first started, I have tried everything that is listed on these sites to try and fix these problems but my

system wont have any of it, the thing that throws me is that once reloaded its always ok for 3-4 weeks, the problems seem to arrise after the disk's have had

some use, a quick search of google shows this is quite a widespread problem:

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/cont...pic/12946/?o=0

I have now unplugged my 250gb drive and things seem a little bit more stable, but what I cannot understand is how a crash occurs when hard disk 2 contains no information being accessed, at this time I do not know if it is a mobo or hard disk problem, it appears as if Maxtor has released firmware updates for their hard disks to stop the errors.

Anyone any ideas or experiences of this?

Lurking since 06
    Thanks
    • Mama Sumae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B - deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core2 duo 6300 O'c @ 3.1 Mhz / Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2GB XMS2 6400 C4 @ 890Mhz
      • Storage:
      • WD 320 GB /sata
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti oc - 1GB GDDR5
      • PSU:
      • Enermax NoisetakerII 485W
      • Case:
      • AKASA ZEN Black 2x12cm fans
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2222HDL 21.5 inch
      • Internet:
      • Virginmedia 50MB (or so they told me...)
    well that is a crazy bug but try running a memtest u have the tool and guides here

http://www.memtest86.com/

i know it might sound just silly, but i was having a big issue using my drives it was pratically impossible to use them, found a faulty mem that was messing all up.

u can also try the microsoft version nice maybe even better.

hope it helps

Nox
    Vorsprung durch Technik
    Thanks
    • Nox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Yes
      • CPU:
      • Yes
      • Memory:
      • Yes
      • Storage:
      • Yes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Yes
      • PSU:
      • Yes
      • Case:
      • Yes
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yes
      • Internet:
      • Yes
    Have you contacted scan Technical support directly aswell? Also, without voiding warranty, if you have two sticks of memory, is it possible to try just one?

And yes, I've seen that at work a few times, all caused by different things.

Nox

Thanks
    Hi Goberpiles

I think i've had a similar problem with my samsung spinpoint 160Gib hard drive, i contacted scan and the fix they have given me is below.

The errors being reported could be something to do with part of the drives and the functionality. If you go to the following, click on start go to control panel and double click on system. Next click on hardware section and device manager, go down the list to IDE ATAPI devices and click on the + sign. Now in here you will see Nforce serial ATA controller 1 and serial ata controller 2. Double click on the first 1 serial controller and under primary tab. Could you check to see if native command queuing is ticked. Untick this, repeat the same for the secondaryt tab. Once this is done, click on apply and ok. Repeat this process with the second sata controller with the primary and secondary and click on apply and ok. Once this is done, it will probably ask you to shutdown and reboot, please proceed. Now check the list and see if problem re-occurs.
    It was Rick from scan that told me to do this so maybe he could verify that this would work for you too, i'm not sure if it will help, but your problem sounds similar so its worth a try at least. It appears to have worked for me, but i only applied the above last night, so only time will tell if it is truely fixed, but i haven't had any disk errors since.

Hope this helps

Andy

Thanks
    Well just to inform you all, I sent all these bits back to scan apart from the case in January 2006, every part was tested and passed their testing, when put back together it worked again until early March when I purchased a second hard drive to see if that would clear the problem. I am not willing to post the parts back to Scan a second time as it has already cost me £50 once, I believe the problem is the A8N-SLI from the majority of posts I have read 70% of the people have an Asus mobo.

I have used the Microsoft drivers, the Nvidia ones, unticked NCQ, it does not make a difference, Maxtor have already released undated firmware for their hard drives, I cannot seem to find an email address to email Asus and Samsung, when I first installed the 80g drive all has been well for 3-4 weeks, I see people have had success using a hard drive controller pci card, apart from trying that or buying a different mobo I am at a loss, I do not see why I should keep buying new items to try and fix it, when it should work in the first place.

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    Goberpiles.

Have you logged this to a query as returns/technical do not browse this forum as much as the sales team do?

If not I suggest you do this so they can assist quicker.

Best Regards,

Thanks
    Lee all these parts have been sent to you back in January, when I had exactly the same problem, all were tested as 100% ok, I see no point in giving you another £50 when I have already spent £1200 buying it in the first place, when all that will happen is that they will test fine, like every post about this subject over the net, when the parts are tested in other PC's or alone no problems are found, as last time I could not even get the hard drive to install windows, when everything was received back it installed windows and ran fine for 3-4 weeks until a largeish amount of data 30-40gb was used on the disc. Thing is I get the cd-rom errors when trying to transfer data from a disc to pc or pc to disc.

Of all the replies it seems turning off NCQ on the drive fixed the problem but not on mine, I had had to actually remove the 250gb hard drive now as the pc will not stay stable with it fitted.

I have just found this on the Nvidia website which I shall try tonight:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/n...i=&p_topview=1

Sorry if this is turning into a bit of a rant but after spending £1200 on the pc, another £60 on a second hard disk and dvd drive, and then £50 having items tested and returned as ok I am sure you can understand my frustrations, I would prefer to see me given an exchange on either the 250gb hard drive or a mobo that supports the rest of my system and does not have the nforce4 chipset on it, all I want to do is get on with my work and play games, I must of spent more times reloading this system, then I spent reloading my last pc in the 3 years I owned it.

I do not know what the solution is but it cannot carry on like this.

Thanks
    We will get this issue resolved as quickly as possible for you and understand your frustration.

The reason we need you to log a query is so we have your invoice / contact details and can track any previous correspondence you have made and also look into the full history of the problem.

If you can please log a query and then PM me the query number we can proceed to resolve this issue for you.

Regards

Thanks
    Chris will have to do so tonight as the pc was brought via buy now pay later, so the order does not show on my account on the scan web site, I am off on holiday next Tuesday so I am not sure what can be done between then and now.

Like I said gunna try the nvidia thing from their website tonight, then I shall submit a support call and then pm you the number.

Weird just checked the scan site and I have no RMA details logged for my past RMA to yourself.

Thanks for replying.
    Last edited by Goberpiles; 03-05-2006 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks
    PM me your real name and post code and I track the order for you with the Finance Company

Thanks
    Well after speaking to you today I went home quite happy, wish I hadnt now, switched on today managed to get windows to boot on the 3rd attempt, downloaded emails, left pc on and it blue screened after around 10 minutes, have not managed to boot back into windows, have now received:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: system32\DRIVERS\nvata.sys

Have just lost everything as I am gunna have to reinstall windows, including the pictures of my new born son, just to also say the hard disc I have currently installed was purchased from yourself 1/4/06, so I have had 4 weeks usage with no problems.

Thanks
    Before you reformat your system try a repair install this should re-load any missing drivers and enable you to re-boot into windows as long as the HDD itself isnt faulty

Try that and let me know what happends,

Regards

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    did you install the nvidia ide drivers? they are known to be problematic, and throw up the nvata error

Thanks
    I used my second hard drive and moved the files over thank god, funny thing managed to move around 10 gigs over with no problem, doing this yesturday would of been impossible, gunna reload windows on the 80 gig now, I think all my errors will now vanish again for a few weeks, I really would like to be allowed to swap my motherboard for a non Asus and nforce version, as I think this is the route of my problems, dont believe I am asking too much seeing as the one I have is a very good board.

Chris do I need to submit a support call or have you done it for me?

Thanks
    I have logged the query for you already

Our Returns dept will contact you shortly

Rgds

Thread Information