Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seasonic 600w

ati
    Thanks

Seasonic 600w

hello everyone

just wandering on this powersupply, i currently have the tagan 480 u01 with a 7800gtx, 4 hds, amd 4400 x2.

i recently tried encoding 3 vob (4.3g) files and burn on at the same time using shrink.

what happens is that after a little while i got a blue screen and than the pc boots.

this never happend with the single core and i usully only did 2 encoding tasks and that it.

so i put it down to power and read on cpc about the seasonic

what do you think of the problem is it power ralted? and seasonic psu?

thanks

ati

Thanks
    I personaly would think its unlikely(so long as your tagan is working normally) that your power supply is lacking. I would actually guess at that being a memory or heat problem myself.

Install a temperature measuring program(I use mbm, but it might not support your kit) and see what the temeratures are. Also, download memtest86, make a bootable CD or floppy with it, and run the full test for a good 6 hours or so. Get memtest at http://www.memtest86.com/

edit: Woops, just noticed this is in the scan.care@hexus, sorry guys, I don't really check forums, I just read stuff and answer :/

ati
    Thanks
    hi

the memory i,m running is the 1 gb pc3200 OCZ cl 2.2.2.5

i have ran some games no probs at all, i,m running the arctic cooler 64 on the 4400 x2

and thats ok.

i would of thought the powers is lacking on the system is been used so aggressavily

Thanks
    I would still run memtest, just to eliminate that possibility, but fair enough if you don't want to.

Whats your CPU temperature at idle and at load?

See, I'm just not convinced, that if your system is working properly, theres any reason why you'd need more then about 450W real. Almost everyone overestimates the ammount of power they actually need these days.

Hmm, other people will probably be more confident of something then I am, Im no doubt forgetting something simple

EDIT: Oh and I'm forgetting the most important thing:

Welcome to Hexus!
    Last edited by specofdust; 07-10-2005 at 10:27 AM.

ati
    Thanks
    thanks for getting back to me

i will run memtest 6hrs ooouuch,

the memory iclocked to 2.80v by the way

ill will get the temps as well via bios or mbm

is there a way to see the power as well

Thanks
    Umm, you can check your voltage rails, if your PSU was under so much pressure that it wasnt able to power stuff, that'd show up in your rails. I use Motherboard monitor(MBM) to do that, get it here.

The important ones are CPU voltage, Ram Voltage, and then the positive rails, so thats +3.3V, +5.0V, +12.00V. If all the rails are within 5% of what they're meant to be, then there isn't really anything to worry about, but if any of them are quite seriously low or high, then PSU might indeed be your problem.

If MBM doesn't work for your motherboard, try looking for some other motherboard monitoring program. I believe Speedfan can monitor voltages, so might be worth a look.

ati
    Thanks
    hi i got mbm installed

and they all same ok from the dashboard
    the cpu temp is saying -20oc which i know that cant be the case so i,m downloading the speedfan to get a reading

Thanks
    I think Spec would be correct in saying its either Memory problem, If the problem was the PSU then normally the system would not blue screen but would just itsself down or hang.

If you would like to contact my Technical team they may be able to advise on a few solutions or a couple of ways to find out the problem.

0870 755 4747 (options 1, option 3 and option 2)

Regards,

Kaine
    Quote Originally Posted by Noni
    What the hell does "WTH" mean

ati
    Thanks
    speedfan is howing a better reading

can u show a printscreen here i wonder

i'll be easier

ati
    Thanks
    @ KAINE

thanks for that

i just got the seasonic and new audigy from you guys

u reckon is memory

i think memtest on the way

thats the think the system is fine

until i encode 3 d*ds and burn one at the same time

i dont get it

played farcry with hdr 7 and the sys is ok with that

decompressed 2 3 gig files at the same time and that was ok

Thanks
    Yeah. Do print screen, then make a BMP file, open up paint, and paste. If you have any way of compressing the image(paint shop pro, photoshop, any other image manipulation software) then open and save as, and save as a jpg using the software. That'll cut down on size significantly.

If you were able to shrink it, then goto imageshack and host the file.

If you don't have any image compression, dont worry about it, but you can't host it on imageshack yourself, cos the file will almost certainly be bigger then 1MB.Just email the pic to me at specofdust@gmail.com and I'll shrink it and host it for you

EDIT: Feel free to do the Scan tech support first, they're professionals, and will probably be able to help you more quickly(and probably better) then I would
    Last edited by specofdust; 07-10-2005 at 11:00 AM.

ati
    Thanks
    ello @ specofdust

sent an email to ya

thanks

Thanks

Ok, that looks to be the problem right there, the 5V line, is if I'm not mistaken 20% under spec, thats far too low and I would be inclined to say thats almost certainly the cause of your problem.

A second opinion from AoD would be well worth waiting for before you go for a new PSU, but I think that 5V rail would cause serious issues with your hard disks.

Something you mentioned in your email to me but not your first post is that you have 3 optical disks, opticals can take alot of power, supposedly even when not in use. 4 HDD's on their own would probably be fine, but with 3 opticals, that takes it to 7 drives all feeding on the 5.0V line.

Your temps are all doing nicely, no problems there. One other thing, do you know what your CPU voltage is set to in BIOS? If its set to 1.4 then its ok, if its set to anything higher then that I'd be a bit concerned that the mobo isn't supplying enough power to the CPU.

Some motherboards feed the CPU off the 5.0V line, some of the 12.0Volt line, if its feeding of the 5.0V line then its probably being undervolted too.

ati
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by specofdust

Ok, that looks to be the problem right there, the 5V line, is if I'm not mistaken 20% under spec, thats far too low and I would be inclined to say thats almost certainly the cause of your problem.

A second opinion from AoD would be well worth waiting for before you go for a new PSU, but I think that 5V rail would cause serious issues with your hard disks.

Something you mentioned in your email to me but not your first post is that you have 3 optical disks, opticals can take alot of power, supposedly even when not in use. 4 HDD's on their own would probably be fine, but with 3 opticals, that takes it to 7 drives all feeding on the 5.0V line.

Your temps are all doing nicely, no problems there. One other thing, do you know what your CPU voltage is set to in BIOS? If its set to 1.4 then its ok, if its set to anything higher then that I'd be a bit concerned that the mobo isn't supplying enough power to the CPU.

Some motherboards feed the CPU off the 5.0V line, some of the 12.0Volt line, if its feeding of the 5.0V line then its probably being undervolted too.

thanks for that

so you think its the psu

Thanks
    I do. I'm curious that there are two +5V's being reported there, but regardless of which one is the actual one, or if they're both true, they are both far too low, and must be undervolting the HDD's quite considerably.

You have 7 drives in total, so I guess you're one of the few people who do actually need an extremely beefy PSU, that or the 5.0V line is faulty, but I don't believe thats the case.

A 600W seasonic should solve the problem, but make sure it has a significantly higher 5.0V rail then the PSU you're on now, because you obviously really need a highly rated and strong 5.0V line.

I really would like a second opinion on all of that though, so if anyone else is reading, please input thoughts.

Thanks
    @ specofdust

thanks a lot for all this bother

the seasonic should be sufficient

i got the custom pc here and is review

do you need to know any specific info

Thread Information