Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People of Scan / anyone! Help!

Registered+
    Thanks

People of Scan / anyone! Help!

Ok, so I'm new to this Hexus malarky, having seen someone I know using it (NightShadow) I decided to give it a try. Basically, I bought a Abit motherboard, GeForce FX5200 and Corsair Value Select RAM from Scan a while ago and I am having problems. I started from scratch, clean Windows install etc. and everything was fine, but having installed updated DirectX and Service Packs, the problems began. After opening my 'My Videos' folder, containing my collection of DV-AVI (PAL) videos, I noticed that the thumbnails were showing interlacing lines. Importing the video into Adobe Premiere and dragging the timeline slider across, the video flickered, as if moving one frame forward, then backwards, then forward again. Importing video into Windows Movie Maker, and exporting it, resulted in video that was undistinguishable. Thinking that perhaps my graphics card was at fault, I purchased a Sapphire Radeon 9550 from Scan yesterday and again started from scratch, this time installing Windows XP SP2 - same problem. I have also replaced the monitor that I was using at the time the problems began. I have tried everything - driver combinations, updates etc. the only solution being using the GeForce FX5200 and old drivers from the nVidia driver archive and using un-updated Windows XP, as the introduction of DirectX and Service Packs reintroduces the problem. Tweaking the settings in nView or, more recently, the ATI Catalyst Control centre, makes no difference. As I said, I am new to Hexus, so if this thread's in the wrong place or whatever, if someone could move it, that'd be great. Any help would be appreciated. It's driving me mad.

Thanks
    Games and DVD's etc working ok? If it's only these files you mention that you are having the problem with, I really just think this is a case of not having the right video codecs installed. A quick free download of the right codec should fix it. I very much doubt this is hardware related.

It sound like you have gone to a hell of a lot of trouble for something that could be sorted for free in seconds with the right codecs installed. Next time, get here sooner mate

Right then, How were they encoded/where did you get them from? I.e. Divx?

The VLC media player will probably play them as it has great support for many formats, but if we can work out what codecs are required we should be able to everything working with them.

EDIT: Yeah i would i have put this is the main help forum as you would have got more responses in there. But not to worry.
    Last edited by autopilot; 11-12-2005 at 05:17 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    They were captured using Ulead VideoStudio 8 and encoded as DV-AVI. I've tried every possible combination of codecs, and the problem is not particular to a player such as Windows Media Player, it happens throughout. It's not playing them that's a worry, it's editing them, I'm doing a piece for a German video magazine so it's kind of imperitive that I get sort it. Perhaps it is a codec problem, as you said, they were encoded using Microsoft's DV-AVI codec (PAL).

Thanks
    But it's only these files that you have problems with, yes? DVD, other video files etc all ok? No other video payback issues? If thats the case, i really think this is a codec problem. Could be that somehow the files have been corrupted, but thats highly unlikely.

This problem is not usually limited to one media player. The codecs should be installed on your PC for all media players to use (although its not that simple in reality). So yeah, it would happen throughout. But it we can get them playing its a safe bet we can also open them with an editing app. So lets concentrate of playing them for now.

Have you tried installing VideoStudio 8 again? That might install the right codec.
    Last edited by autopilot; 11-12-2005 at 05:25 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Yes, DVDs etc. play fine. I've also tried playing a game, admittedly only Motocross Madness 2 but it ran fine with everything maxed out. I'm going to reinstall VideoStudio and see if it has any effect, although I doubt it will. It's highly annoying, but I appreciate your help

Thanks
    Trust me. It's a codec issue. Let us know if that works. I will find some links for some codec pack downloads if it does not.

Oh and by the way, the Windows Media Player automatic codec update function almost always fails in case you tried that, could not get it to work and asumed it was not a codec problem like many people seem too do.
    Last edited by autopilot; 11-12-2005 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks
    Try using this http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

It will tell you if you have the right codecs installed.
    ------
    I hate to say this, but this place is getting to me. I think I'm getting the fear.

Gigabyte DS4, e6300@3.01GHz,Corsair 520w Modular PSU,2gb Geil PC5300 DDRII,Xpertvision x1950pro 512mb,Daewoo L2299DM 22" TFT

Thanks
    EDIT, Nevermind. I was trying to find something like planetgong found you.

Registered+
    Thanks
    It hasn't worked, still exactly the same. If you've got MSN, add me an I'll show you a screenshot, it's so strange. alistairheeley@hotmail.co.uk if you wanna

Thanks

Gspot won't change the file at all, it will just tell you what codec the file was encoded with, and tell you if that codec is present on your system.
    ------
    I hate to say this, but this place is getting to me. I think I'm getting the fear.

Gigabyte DS4, e6300@3.01GHz,Corsair 520w Modular PSU,2gb Geil PC5300 DDRII,Xpertvision x1950pro 512mb,Daewoo L2299DM 22" TFT

Registered+
    Thanks
    File Length Correct, 2 compatible codecs installed, 'DirectShow is apparently able to play the file as well (see "DirectShow Render") - results from GSpot. Rendering - Rendering Successful

Thanks
    Are these file's imported dirrectly from your Digicam? What cam is it?

This is a good place to look for help http://www.videohelp.com also http://www.free-codecs.com

Registered+
    Thanks
    It's a Canon MVX220 MiniDV camcorder, the footage has been filmed on various camcorders but all captured by me, so it's all the same. I've also just noticed that if I play one in Windows Media Player, and double-click another one whilst the first one's playing, Media Player crashes.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    sounds like a field order problem. possibly you have captured them in the wrong field order. VideoStudio should be able to detect which field is first when capturing. Look about in the settings, there should be something that sets the field order, change it then capture again, see if this makes a difference.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    oops. dp

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alistairheeley
    I've also just noticed that if I play one in Windows Media Player, and double-click another one whilst the first one's playing, Media Player crashes.
    Dont worry, thats quite normal. Media Player crashes everytime the wind changes direction.

Thread Information