Thread: Shocking RMA experience...

Thanks

Shocking RMA experience...

Hello,

You may have read my post awhile back about the trouble I was having with a motherboard and CPU I had purchased from scan.

Essentially, when I put together the computer it was freezing at post. I did some research and found out that the motherboard didn't infact support 64-bit CPUs unless it's bios was updated.

Now, this in itself seemed wholey unreasonable, considering scan's website described the product as supporting 64-bit CPUs. Call me old-fashioned, but I don't expect to have to have a spare socket 754 CPU handy in order to flash the motherboard so it's capable of what it claimed to be in the first place.

Nevertheless, I took the motherboard down to my local computer shop where I had to pay £20 for the bios to be flashed. (About half the price of the board in the first place!).

This appeared to be successful, and so I went on my merry way installing windows, office, etc onto the PC.

However, shortly after the installation the computer randomly reset, and once again froze at post.

I was most miffed at this point, so sent off a friendly e-mail to scan. (I apologise for this post not being written in the most polite of ways, but I am genuinely annoyed now.) Having described the situation, the reply was simply an RMA form. Dispite me putting forward several questions in the original e-mail regarding the RMA procedure and my individual situation, I had no reply in regard to these.

So, presuming the tech people over at scan where relatively sure it was the mobo, rather than the CPU I relunctantly packed up the mobo and shipped it off to scan.

Another £7.

I now find out that the motherboard has apparently been fully tested, and no faults have been found.
    I don't know the kind of people you employ at scan, but if I recieved an e-mail about a problem with a motherboard working with 64-bit CPUs - I'd probably use a 64bit CPU to test it out, but as far as I can gather you neglected to do this - instead using a 32bit Sempron.

To my disgust I then recieve an e-mail saying if I want my mobo back I have to pay £10 shipping, £10 testing fee, +VAT.

Now, I'm no computer expert - I don't run, or even work, in a computer store. As such, when I was questioning the cause of the problem I was having with your tech department, I made the presumption that it was on your head if the diagnosis was incorrect. Clearly I was wrong.

Ignoring VAT, That's a grand total of £47 in an attempt to get the motherboard to do what it said it would do out of the box.

The motherboard cost ~£35...

And no, it's not the PSU, the ram, the case, the fans or the various LEDs on my case causing the problem.

Funnily enough, I notice you no longer sell the mobo in question...

Even if you don't have the courtesy to reply - I'd appreciate you not pulling an OcUK on me and deleting the thread because it contains a negative experience about scan.

I'm sure in the eyes of the law you've acted 'just fine', but I feel this thread should remain for those that are ignorant enough to believe a product should work as described, out of the box, without modification.

Thanks
    Sorry about the problems you've had with this.

I don't work in returns myself, so unfortunately cannot assist, but I will ask one of my colleagues in this department to look into this tomorrow for you.

Thanks
    (Can you drop me a PM with your invoice or RMA number - as it'll speed the process up. Thanks)

Banned
    Thanks
    I am sure Scan will sort it out mate. They are very good normally.

Thanks
    • wannabgeek's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M4A89GTD-Pro-USB3
      • CPU:
      • AMD x6 1055T Phenom @3.3ghz with Hyper 212+ HSF
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 (2x2GB) since upgraded to Corsair DD3 XMS3 8gb (2x 4gb) CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
      • Storage:
      • OCZ 120GB SSD / 250GB Samsung Spinpoint Sata H / 200GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor HD 6850 1GB GDDR5
      • PSU:
      • Tx 650w Corsair PSU
      • Case:
      • Lancool K62
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Ultimate (the cheapest)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 19"
      • Internet:
      • Firefox & 20MB Sky max
    Sorry to hear of your bad luck!

I too am going to buy a Asrock Mobo from scan (1st time buyer) Can you please tell me what Mobo you purchased, Hope its not the Dual sata pce/Agp
    Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    AMD x6 1055T Phenom @3.3ghz
    Asus M4A89GTD-Pro-USB3
    HD 6850 1GB GDDR5
    4GB Corsair XMS3 (2x2GB)
    Tx 650w Corsair PSU
    250GB Samsung Spinpoint Sata HD
    200GB Maxtor Dmax10 IDE
    LG Sata2 DVD/RW
    Lancool K62 Case

Sheffield (University) , BuuurMINGhem (Born)
    Thanks
    Why didnt you do an rma process from the offset, when you couldnt get it working without the bios update? It would have saved you £20 and theypay for the courier.

Okay it might have taken a couple of days longer, but Scan would have sorted it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus
    As for the filled fresh pasta, i love that stuff... when i've got the money, however i've a computer addication, my mum always said she thinks it would be cheaper if i had herroin addiction, and at least i'd get some fresh air when i went to get a score.

Thanks
    I would like to know the outcome from this as I sent back a keyboard and mouse set, that died on my computer after 5 minutes (both in BIOS and windows XP.)

Sending it back cost me over £6, and now that it's not faulty (as tested by one of your guys) I'm expected to pay £20ish to get it back (original price was about £24.)

Instead could you check if you could waive the delivery charge and combine it with a order that I'm gonna make soon, consisting of some DVDs and webcams.
    Woohoo now Assistant Manager!

Thanks
    • Philipp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ROG Impact
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550W RMX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" ROG Swift
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 20Mb
    AmazingFish,

Im very sorry for the problems that you have encountered, I have looked into the issue and it does seem it has been resolved,

If you have any futher problems regarding this Board (invoice) please do not hessitate to contact me and i will deal with the issue,

Best Regards

Thanks
    • Philipp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ROG Impact
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung Evo
      • Graphics card(s):