Thread: Logitech MX5000

Registered+
    Thanks

Logitech MX5000

What is Scans policy on products that while not faulty, are quite obviously not up to the job they were intended?

I bought the MX5000 as part of my system and all I can say is if If you are looking into buying this DO SOME RESEARCH FIRST!!!

This was the only thing I didn't look into when ordering my pc and that was a mistake.

Before anyone claims I work for a rival, heres some good points:
    Lovely design and the high quality build is fairly obvious.
    Using the mouse and keyboard is, when they work, a pleasent experience.
    The various function keys and ability to programme them can be very useful.
    The lcd screen that even tells you the temprature is a cool touch if you like your keyboard to feel gadgety.

Now the bad points:
    The keyboard has more buttons than the starship enterprise but is incredibly sensitive. The amount of times ive loaded applications because my finger happened to brush some function button is ridiculous. Furthermore, Logitech have obviously decided that the configuration for a keyboard that we have spent years learning isn't good enough for them, so if ur a touch typist forget it.

Sometimes when you are typing, and ironically this happened as I was typing this sentence, a letter will get stuck, e.g. You may wish to type "hello" but half way throught the word you get "hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll" and you can't stop it!! It just keeps going until it decides to stop.

However the above two points pale into insignifigance compared to this one over-riding issue of the USB Bluetooth dongle.

The dongle is so weak and sensitive that you will spend most of your time just trying to get your keyboard and mouse to connect. From the first time I switched the pc on I have had either the mouse or the keyboard or on some occasions both, not connect. At first I presumed it was me doing something wrong. Then I presumed I had installed the software wrongly and re-installed that. But when both stopped working completely and I had to re-conect my ps/2 mouse and keyboard I realised it was the hardware/software. I went online and discovered I wasn't the only one with this issue.

The summary is that while the instructions tell you to simply place the USB dongle in the back of your pc, be aware that this will NOT work as the dongle WILL be affected by interference from the pc.

If you do really want this combo, you will also have to invest in something like a USB extension os USB hub.

Last night I put the dongle in a USB hub on my desk and since doing so I have for the first time since I bought my system (a week ago) been able to start my pc and not have to reconnect either the mouse or keyboard or both.

This was obviously a product that was released to compete with Microsofts bluetooth product but was released before being properly tested.

Logitechs first disappointing product.

So guys, is it caveat emptor or is there a case for replacement here?

Thanks
    I like Logitech gear and think the MX1000 laser mouse is the best mouse ever made, but personally i have always hated Logitech's keyboards. They are mostly huge, tacky and ugly beasts and almost all those buttons are pointless.

My mate has a nightmare with his Logitech bluetooth keyboard always losing its connection. The trouble is; is it faulty or is it just crap? Its a fine line, but products should be fit for the purpose they were sold for.
    Last edited by autopilot; 29-01-2006 at 03:13 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Considering the prevalence of the connection issue, its obvioulsy more crap than faulty. Like I said, tell your mate to move his dongle away from any interference esp. the actually pc.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • dpriest's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • AMD 64 X2 3800+
      • Memory:
      • 3Gb Corsair DDR400 2-3-3-6
      • Storage:
      • 400Gb + 1Tb RAID Deskstar T7K250
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7900GT
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12-600
      • Case:
      • Gigabyte 3D Aurora
      • Operating System:
      • XP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 23" Widescreen TFT
      • Internet:
      • I haz it
    Um, if it's not fit for purpose, then surely the Sales of Goods Act applies, and you can return it for a full refund?

Thread Information