Thread: WD Raptor?

ati
    Thanks

WD Raptor?

helloo

anyone got this harddisk yet, can someone give me an opionion on its performance and sound?

how could you quiten the sound without tapering with its onboard settings, via 5.25 casing or a dampner of some kind?

thanks

Thanks
    • FatalSaviour's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55-GD80
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 860
      • Memory:
      • 4x2GB GEiL PC17000
      • Storage:
      • 3x1000GB, 2x500GB (RAID1), 1x2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 470
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX700
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311, Dell 2005FPW
      • Internet:
      • VM 30Mb
    Which version are you looking at getting?
    The 36GB version is reasonably loud, although the 74GB and 150GB versions have sorted most of this out with FDBs. Not sure if silentpcreview.com has a review of the latter version, but I believe they have the 74GB review...I can still hear the seeks on the 2 150GB drives I have, dampened though they are in my Antec P180, but they are very quiet nonetheless. I only hear them as the rest of my case is completely silent (2 x 120mm fans on 3.8V only).
    Performance wise....you might be best heading over to storagereview.com for a comprehensive review, but IMHO, they are pretty damn quick .

Thanks
    • FatalSaviour's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55-GD80
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 860
      • Memory:
      • 4x2GB GEiL PC17000
      • Storage:
      • 3x1000GB, 2x500GB (RAID1), 1x2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 470
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX700
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311, Dell 2005FPW
      • Internet:
      • VM 30Mb
    Reread your post...I believe you're asking for advice on how to dampen the noise...5.25" casings can work, but make sure you buy one that is definitely rated for 10,000 rpm hard drives...some enclosures do exactly that...they enclose the hard drive completely, so block out a fair amount of noise, but can lead to the drive heating up.
    I use the silicone grommets that are provided in the Antec P180 which do a super job for a stock mounting system.
    Other ways...the Antec P150 has a rubber suspension mounting system which also works quite well...otherwise you can devise your own suspension mounting system.

ati
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FatalSaviour
    Which version are you looking at getting?
    The 36GB version is reasonably loud, although the 74GB and 150GB versions have sorted most of this out with FDBs. Not sure if silentpcreview.com has a review of the latter version, but I believe they have the 74GB review...I can still hear the seeks on the 2 150GB drives I have, dampened though they are in my Antec P180, but they are very quiet nonetheless. I only hear them as the rest of my case is completely silent (2 x 120mm fans on 3.8V only).
    Performance wise....you might be best heading over to storagereview.com for a comprehensive review, but IMHO, they are pretty damn quick .
    ]

heelloo

sorry for the delay

i was thinking about the 150gb version.

ati
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FatalSaviour
    Reread your post...I believe you're asking for advice on how to dampen the noise...5.25" casings can work, but make sure you buy one that is definitely rated for 10,000 rpm hard drives...some enclosures do exactly that...they enclose the hard drive completely, so block out a fair amount of noise, but can lead to the drive heating up.
    I use the silicone grommets that are provided in the Antec P180 which do a super job for a stock mounting system.
    Other ways...the Antec P150 has a rubber suspension mounting system which also works quite well...otherwise you can devise your own suspension mounting system.

thats sounds great my case is the antec sonata 2, its harddisk mounting mechnisms has some sort of rubber grommets underneath it but i can still hear my samsung p120 seeking and i dint thing they are quite as everyone keeps saying, i tyhink the p80 are quiter by far anway, i was thinking of getting raptor 150gb as i,m using vs2005 and other progs that do a lot of writing to the hd.

as you mentioned there are some casings and i think o*uk have silenmaxx but anything from them or made by them is no no for me thats why scan is in my top 5 for hardware supplier.

shame they havent got anything

Thanks
    The 36GB wd raptor is very noisy, infact i once almost got to the point of putting a sledgehammer to the damn thing, lol. I upgraded to 2GB of memory, sorted, no where near as bad.

Thread Information