Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scan Chameleon - Conroe?

Thanks

Scan Chameleon - Conroe?

Hi, I've been looking to buy a new computer and have settled on scan as the place to buy from. Unfortunately it seems like now isn't the best time to buy one with the new conroe chips coming out in a couple of months. I absolutely love the heat reactive paint and the cut out Chameleon on the side panel so would love to go with this machine.

I wonder if you can answer a few questions for me.

1) Currently the Chameleon only comes with a choice of AMD chips. Current benchmarks seem to show that Conroe (released in July) will be around 20% faster than the FX60 and thats the midrange $300 conroe. Assuming that the benchmarks turn out to be correct Conroe will be THE chip to buy for most situations. Will Scan offer a version of the Chameleon with a conroe processor?

2) I don't plan to go top of the range in every component ie just one high end graphics card and a mid range conroe chip (which is hopefully more powerful than the fx60). I'm also not hugely interested in overclocking. With this in mind would I be better with the watercooling or air cooling (with a zalman for the cpu and graphics card). Volume is very important to me since my current alienware is so offensively loud. I want the pc not to be noticeable if its on in the same room while watching the TV. I'm sure that this would mean the temperature would be a little higher in the case, would this actually be a benefit in getting value from the heat reactive paint?

3) is there somewhere I can see a few more photos of how the Chameleon looks when hot and cold and maybe how it looks in the dark. I've searched the net and only found 2 photos. Pete the painter seems to have a site showing his work but its down. Is this site temporarily down or permanently so, does the site have pictures of the Chameleon anyway?

4) regarding the internal UV spray, is this worth it? Is it possible to see some photos of how this improves how the case looks at night? Would the light coming through the Chameleon on the side look just as good with a couple of cheap cathodes in the PC instead of a 264 pound internal paint job that I'll never see.

5) if I end up spending 3.5k-4k on a dream PC would it be possible to send the invoice at a different time to the PC so the wife doesn't see it? My wife is happy for me to buy an expensive PC but I think she considers that more like 2grand but she wants me to buy the Chameleon, every other PC I've showed her she says yeah thats nice but I prefer the lizard (Chameleon) one, you should go with that, she just doesn't realise that the paint job costs about a grand.

Thanks for your time, no worries if the answer to the conroe question is simply wait and see, I look forward to hopefully buying from you, though it will be a few months yet.

Thanks
    • Steve A's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene IV
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 2600K (4.3Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair 1600
      • Storage:
      • 240Gb SSD + 6TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA - GTX680
      • PSU:
      • 750W BeQuiet Pro GOLD
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus 3D Monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100Mb BT Fibre
    Just getting some feedback from the guys who deal with the system, then i will let you know ..

Regards

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve A
    Just getting some feedback from the guys who deal with the system, then i will let you know ..

Regards
    Thanks mate, much appricated, no hurry. As I say it will be August/September I will be buying.

Thanks
    • Steve A's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene IV
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 2600K (4.3Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair 1600
      • Storage:
      • 240Gb SSD + 6TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA - GTX680
      • PSU:
      • 750W BeQuiet Pro GOLD
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus 3D Monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100Mb BT Fibre
    Ok this is the reply i got from the guy who deals with all the system specs ...

1) Currently the Chameleon only comes with a choice of AMD chips. Current benchmarks seem to show that Conroe (released in July) will be around 20% faster than the FX60 and thats the midrange $300 conroe. Assuming that the benchmarks turn out to be correct Conroe will be THE chip to buy for most situations. Will Scan offer a version of the Chameleon with a conroe processor?

Yes as soon as the Conroe CPU’s are available we will be updating the specs for the Chameleon.

2) I don't plan to go top of the range in every component ie just one high end graphics card and a mid range conroe chip (which is hopefully more powerful than the fx60). I'm also not hugely interested in overclocking. With this in mind would I be better with the watercooling or air cooling (with a zalman for the cpu and graphics card). Volume is very important to me since my current alienware is so offensively loud. I want the pc not to be noticeable if its on in the same room while watching the TV. I'm sure that this would mean the temperature would be a little higher in the case, would this actually be a benefit in getting value from the heat reactive paint?

Yes, water-cooling is only of real benefit when you over clock CPU’s etc as this allows for higher over clocking without the instability of heat. If you were to select the Zalman cooler this would still allow you to over clock a little but it will also give better cooling and improve performance, you will also find that the system would run a little hotter thus giving better colour with the heat reactive paint.

3) is there somewhere I can see a few more photos of how the Chameleon looks when hot and cold and maybe how it looks in the dark. I've searched the net and only found 2 photos. Pete the painter seems to have a site showing his work but its down. Is this site temporarily down or permanently so, does the site have pictures of the Chameleon anyway?

The company who sprays the system with the high quality paint job has more pictures and they are going to send me a link to their site later today with a link allowing access as these are not available for public viewing

If you send me a mail before the end of the day I should be able to forward this on.

4) regarding the internal UV spray, is this worth it? Is it possible to see some photos of how this improves how the case looks at night? Would the light coming through the Chameleon on the side look just as good with a couple of cheap cathodes in the PC instead of a 264 pound internal paint job that I'll never see.

Again I should have some available. This is good if you have the case where you can see inside the system easily and want to show the inside off. It is hard to answer as I have a system sprayed with a custom colour and it looks fantastic, people are always commenting on this but I only have normal lights inside the system people look inside but I never did see the benefit of a UV system as most are under desks out of the way.

5) if I end up spending 3.5k-4k on a dream PC would it be possible to send the invoice at a different time to the PC so the wife doesn't see it? My wife is happy for me to buy an expensive PC but I think she considers that more like 2grand but she wants me to buy the Chameleon, every other PC I've showed her she says yeah thats nice but I prefer the lizard (Chameleon) one, you should go with that, she just doesn't realise that the paint job costs about a grand.

Yes, like most people our partners never fully understand the full cost of systems and if my wife found out what I spent I would have to get power to my shed to live in it.

I could send the final invoice electronically and send a copy to your work if this helps.

Regards

Thanks
    Wow what service.

Thank you very much for finding out all that for me, you just completly cemented the fact that scan were the right people to chose to buy a system like this from. Even better was the fact that the answers were all just what I wanted to hear.

I will send you a pm now with my e-mail address to send that link too once it's availible.

I look forward to buying a Chamelon from you once the conroe is availible in the summer.

Thanks again
    Tim

Thanks
    • Steve A's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene IV
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 2600K (4.3Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair 1600
      • Storage:
      • 240Gb SSD + 6TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA - GTX680
      • PSU:
      • 750W BeQuiet Pro GOLD
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus 3D Monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100Mb BT Fibre
    In regards to the PM sent hopefully the Images for the Chamelon should be avalible this aftenoon, but if i forget then Bump this thread later on this afternoon ..

Regards
    Last edited by wesleyaldred; 14-06-2006 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks
    Will do, thank you

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin

Thanks
    • Steve A's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene IV
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 2600K (4.3Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair 1600
      • Storage:
      • 240Gb SSD + 6TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA - GTX680
      • PSU:
      • 750W BeQuiet Pro GOLD
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus 3D Monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100Mb BT Fibre
    LOL

I know exactly where hes coming from tbh ... and so do you to be fair hence the smiley face

We can gladly accomodate for the people who want to hide the price from the other halfs ...

Thanks
    Not so much hideing it from my wife anyway, more stoping her acidently finding out. She knows things like our 42" plasma, nice 5.1 speakers etc cost more than I told her. She really doesn't want to know. She asked what the new computer would cost, I told her expensive, she said how expensive. I said expensive and she just smiled. If she wanted to find out she could easily as she is an engineer and very technically literate and knows the name of the pc and where its being brought from.

My wife is extreamly understanding and also takes great pleasure in the technology we buy, she even pays half (well half of what I tell her things cost anyway though I alone will buy the pc as she doesn't use it much )

I'm in a wheelchair and probably have a short life span ahead of me. So we have always gone where we wanted to go, and brought what we wanted to buy to make the most of life even when it wasn't the most sensible way to spend money.

Live rich, not die rich

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    We can gladly accomodate for the people who want to hide the price from the other halfs ...
    You should put that in the ads, would work a lot better than your ugly mugs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by herulach
    You should put that in the ads,

Thanks
    • Steve A's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene IV
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 2600K (4.3Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair 1600
      • Storage:
      • 240Gb SSD + 6TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA - GTX680
      • PSU:
      • 750W BeQuiet Pro GOLD
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus 3D Monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100Mb BT Fibre
    Quote Originally Posted by herulach
    You should put that in the ads, would work a lot better than your ugly mugs
    Harsh TBH ...

Thanks
    In regards to the PM sent hopefully the Images for the Chamelon should be avalible this aftenoon, but if i forget the Bump this thread later on this afternoon ..

Regards
    Little reminding bump

Thanks
    • Steve A's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene IV
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 2600K (4.3Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair 1600
      • Storage:
      • 240Gb SSD + 6TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA - GTX680
      • PSU:
      • 750W BeQuiet Pro GOLD
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus 3D Monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100Mb BT Fibre
    Hmm

I havent forgot , the guy who does the Mod jobs is just mega busy , there might be a slight delay with the images, but i will upload as soon i get them ..

Regards

Thanks
    Hmm

I havent forgot , the guy who does the Mod jobs is just mega busy , there might be a slight delay with the images, but i will upload as soon i get them ..

Regards
    No worries, I'll bump again if I've not heard from you in a couple of days.

Thanks

Thread Information