Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dead or fixed pixels are they acceptable?

Thanks
    The distance selling act only allows for returns that are untouched so by opening it to test for problems you would be changing that.

You'd be charged a 15% restocking fee for testing a monitor and then returning it, rightly so imho.

As for dead pixels I've bought personally nearly 50 tft's and I've only ever seen one with a dead pixel, are people really that anal about things. If you are there are the class one displays.

Banned
    Thanks
    Things is, when these companies do a pixel check for you i think it is only for 'dead' pixels and not 'lazy' or 'stuck' pixels, so you could still end up with one of those. It is up to the manufacturers to make sure the TFT's are despatched in a perfect condition, not the retailers.

Thanks
    • FatalSaviour's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55-GD80
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 860
      • Memory:
      • 4x2GB GEiL PC17000
      • Storage:
      • 3x1000GB, 2x500GB (RAID1), 1x2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 470
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX700
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311, Dell 2005FPW
      • Internet:
      • VM 30Mb
    Quote Originally Posted by RFV
    ask yourself this question, your shopping for 20 or 24 inch LCD in the £300 - £400 price bracket, who are you gonna buy from, a retailer that offers pixel testing that guarantees the monitor you receive will be free of pixel defaults, or one that doesn't. Even if they charge 25 quid, it's a no-brainer!
    As mentioned previously though RFV, as it lies below the manufacturer's fault tolerance, Scan cannot then send this back themselves.
    Therefore, they are stuck with a monitor that has a dead pixel, and would be forced to sell this on to a customer who had not bought the dead pixel check, which is a questionable practice at best.
    I agree that it is not an ideal situation to be in, and indeed, I went to Aria when I bought my Dell 2005FPW, but if you're buying a good quality make of TFT in the first place, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the risk of dead pixels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noni
    What the hell does "WTH" mean

Thanks
    If you want a monitor without dead pixels then the only way to make sure is to buy a class 1 monitor and pay the price for it. That being said I have a philips TFT for my desktop, I have 3 laptops (2 for work) a PSP, an LG TFT TV and a nintendo DS, and I have never noticed any dead pixels on any of them. As an old monitor I had before had 1 dead pixel I am sure I would have noticed if any of the above had one.

There is no stipulation in the distance selling act that you have to send the item back unopened, also you cannot be charged a restocking fee according to your rights under the act I believe. What you are however liable for is the cost of shipping the item back to the retailer, and I believe(could be wrong on this) that they dont have to refund the cost of shipping the ite, to you in the first place.

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • i5 3470k under Corsair H80 WC
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2
    I've got to agree with gordy - when I worked as an IT admin my dept ordered around 250 AG Neovo Screens, and the worst we got was a single dead pixel where the start button lies. Then for the administration staff we bought Sony TFTs, and they were fine, no dead pixels at all. Now the skeptic in us all would say that is just a coincidence, but I feel that dead pixels are not as big a problem as they were the early days. Case in point - the ability to produce a 1680x1050 display in a 15.4" notebook with no dead pixels shows how far the technology has advanced

Dave

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC
    Quote Originally Posted by FatalSaviour
    As mentioned previously though RFV, as it lies below the manufacturer's fault tolerance, Scan cannot then send this back themselves.
    Therefore, they are stuck with a monitor that has a dead pixel, and would be forced to sell this on to a customer who had not bought the dead pixel check, which is a questionable practice at best.
    It would be questionable if they where selling it as a normal product, and not telling the customer about a know fault, but if they sold it as B-grade stock at a discount then there would be no problem.

I am sure that many people would accept a monitor with know dead pixels if they only paid half price.

Quote Originally Posted by dave87
    I've got to agree with gordy - when I worked as an IT admin my dept ordered around 250 AG Neovo Screens, and the worst we got was a single dead pixel where the start button lies.
    This quote illustrates that the percentage of screens with dead pixels is very low these days, so the loss incurred by selling 1% or so as discounted seconds would easily be covered by adding £5 or so the price of normal monitors. I think most people would be willing to pay that to get a guarantee of no dead pixels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information