Thread: Couple of questions about 3XS Core™2 Duo-OC

Thanks

Couple of questions about 3XS Core™2 Duo-OC

Hi there,

I'm planning on getting the 3XS Core™2 Duo-OC system soon but I'm a bit confused with the 'configurator'.

1. First off, when selecting this system there's no mention of it being overclocked (other than the title of course) in the spec and when clicking the optimize button in the configure screen nothing happens and I get an 'error on page' message in the bottom left status bar. Is this my browser being weird? (it does this on another PC in the house too...) I just wanted to confirm that the above name system is indeed overclocked.

2. Although the site specifies that the power supply cannot be changed, I was hoping to choose a better model in case I get something like a 8800GTX for it at a later date. Could I specify a Corsair 620W or something else with higher wattage? I'm concerned the 520W wouldn't cope with future upgrades to the gfx (especially SLI) and that upgrading it myself after delivery would affect the warranty?

3. I'm a bit confused why the configure screen allows selection of different combinations of cpu/heatsink. Do you perform all the overclocks to approx the same speed regardless of cpu choice (in which case it would seem sensible to only ever opt for the 1.87Ghz model because of price) or do you overlock as a % over the stock speed? Also, it seems to allow selection of 'no heatsink/fan' so presumably the overclock could be affected because the standard intel heatsink/fan would be used so I should opt for one of the 'better' ones?

Thanks for reading

Registered+
    Thanks
    I too would look forawrd to the answers of these questions! ;-)

I can help with Q 2 tho, Paul M told me on the phone that they can spec a different power supply when you talk to them over the phone, but the saving you get from it being a review system will decrease. I'm tempted to do the same but with the Water Cooled 3XS OC. Out of interest, can you still see the 3XS Core™2 Duo-OC on the Scan site - I thought it had been removed?

Registered+
    Thanks
    Yes, the overclocked pc is still there just click on the gaming in 3xs then scroll down and you can see it.

Registered+
    Thanks
    The 'Water-Cooled' Overclocked PC is there but not the 'regular' Overclocked variety (i.e. the same minus the Water cooling element). You probably could spec it though, if you spoke to them nicely...

Thanks
    At some point I couldn't find it again either

Click the Intel system button rather than gaming and it's the second one down on your left.

I like the sound of this one cos I don't really fancy water running around my PC and wouldn't have a clue what to do when I want to upgrade. Call a plumber?
    Last edited by D3lirious; 04-12-2006 at 02:19 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Good find! Gah, now I'm not sure which system to go for! I had decided to go with the Water-cooled but what is the realistic performance benefit in having water-cooled?

Sure, the tubing etc will look good through the window with lights, but is it then more overclockable/more stable? What am I getting, performance rather than looks-wise, for that extra ~£100? I dont reallt see the point in the Icy-Box Hard Drive caddie either...

Anyone from Scan care to elaborate?

Thanks
    Hi Golak and Hello D3lirious

I have PM D3lirious my contact details if you would like to discuss this system and make changes that you can not make online please contact me I will look into it.

Error exists between Keyboard & Chair replace User and press Any Key!

.... Where's the Any Key???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorlak View Post
    Good find! Gah, now I'm not sure which system to go for! I had decided to go with the Water-cooled but what is the realistic performance benefit in having water-cooled?

Sure, the tubing etc will look good through the window with lights, but is it then more overclockable/more stable? What am I getting, performance rather than looks-wise, for that extra ~£100? I dont reallt see the point in the Icy-Box Hard Drive caddie either...

Anyone from Scan care to elaborate?
    Benefits from having your system water cooled are the obvious,

1)Quieter computer
    2)Cooler CPU at higher clocks (stable)

Any overclocking of CPU's generally it would make sense to cool it as best possible.

Error exists between Keyboard & Chair replace User and press Any Key!

.... Where's the Any Key???

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks for that Paul, that was my understanding, wanted to be clear though! Hopefully you'll be hearing from me this lunch time to order the system we discussed on the phone, work permitting!

Thabnks for your help,
    G

Thread Information