Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ebuyer & hard drive packaging

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Ebuyer & hard drive packaging

I usually receive my hard drives from ebuyer in those plastic egg carton things with plenty of air bags stuffed inside a huge box enough to fit about 20 drives in!

Scans stuff tbh is always very well packed...

I remember overclockers sending me a £410 ATI x800 XT in a brown paper bag... no anti static, no foam or any accessories. The card had been sent to me second class postage and had been literally cracked in half, the heat sync was ripped off and various surface mounted chips missing from the board....

After a few failed phonecalls i sent off an email... RMA was slow and at first i was acused of damaging the card... Got it all sorted in the end though... refunded and then purchased from scan for £50 less a week later when the prices dropped....

Thanks

Remember watching a Ebuyer video of a woman working in Ebuyer putting a HDD in a box for shipment, she threw the bloody thing in!

Registered+
    Thanks

After reading these posts, I'm definitely going to buy my next hard drive from Scan. Bubble wrap is a far more effective child distractor than Barbie.

Thanks
    • CrazyMonkey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M4N98TD Evo
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4.1ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 Dominator @ 1700mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB OCZ Vertex 2E - 1TB Hitatchi
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x 460 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02R-WRI Ltd.Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7, XP, Server2008 RC1, Gentoo
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer LED - 22" Belinea - 19" Samsung - 19" IIyama
      • Internet:
      • 50 MB Virgin Media Cable

I had one from Ebuyer about 2 years ago, came in a fortified box (enough packaging to get lost in) - you could have drove a tank over the thing...

Guess things have changed :S

Registered+
    Thanks

I used to sell hardware by mail order. My biggest customer was a computer shop in Malta. They used to order a lot of drives but anything up to 50% of them were DOA after being shipped to me and then shipped out to them. The kind of packaging used by the distros used to be a cardboard box with foam in the base and at the top. That obviously wasn't good enough.

Thanks

I've only ever bought an HP monitor from Ebuyer and that came well packaged. I can't say the same for the "Next Day Delivery" as I waited four days! They did refund that and the problem apparently is serious lack of drivers by the courier firm.

Bubble wrap is excellent for saving if you are going to move house/flat in the near future. Much safer for wrapping stuff in than newspaper.

Thanks
    • sammorris's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P55A-UD4 / Z68MX-UD2H / Z97N-WiFi
      • CPU:
      • i5-750@3.8 / 3470 / 4690S
      • Memory:
      • 12GB XMS / 8GB XMS / 16GB XMS
      • Storage:
      • SSD in every build, 53TB fileserver
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX970 / HD7770 / GTX960 ITX
      • PSU:
      • ZM850-HP/ CX500 / RM650
      • Case:
      • HAF 932 / NZXT Lexa / Fractal Node 304
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8.1 / Win 8.1 / Win 10 IP
      • Monitor(s):
      • UP3214Q / U2312HM x2
      • Internet:
      • Enta FTTC 70/20

Scan and Aria have always packaged HDDs well for me, and again, huge amounts of bubble wrap. I've had HDDs from Ebuyer a long time ago, I forget how they were packaged, but I don't remember complaining. OcUK on the other hand were a little sparse with packaging. Beside the point though, my friends order was maldelivered (in the van and back to the depot) a dozen plus times due to OcUK only giving them half the address though, and as a result of this the entire order (3 HDDs, 1 UPS) was completely destroyed when it finally arrived (had to be collected from Citylink depot)

Registered+
    Thanks

I have never had any problems with ebuyer so I recommend them. Same for Scan, Aria (bough a HD last month and well packaged), Novatech and Dabs. About Overclockers, I have a bad experience with a NEC DVDR a few years ago, it was a model infamous of having reading problems, i paid £90 for it and sometimes it didn't read the DVD are recorded with it. i sent it back at my cost and i got one back with the same problem, very fustrating!, I even though it was the same unit but wasn't sure. I ended up buying a new one 1 month after from scan.

Registered+
    Thanks

Forgot to say, cheap HD from aria comes with only 1 year warranty (imported via 3rd party or not official channel) so it might be better to buy it from another retailer with 3 years warranty.

Thanks
    • sammorris's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • UP3214Q / U2312HM x2
      • Internet:
      • Enta FTTC 70/20

Aria's super specials are OEM models mostly, which includes the terabyte drives. The drive advertised as the 16MB EACS on superspecial is actually the 8MB EAVS, which is why it's so cheap. Posting a comment about this got filtered, so obviously they want to carry on misleading people. Still worth buying for dirt cheap, quiet, reliable storage, but be advised, Aria are not in the business to be straight up with the customers. With the EADS having dropped like a stone in price though, and posting at Hexus earning you free shipping at Scan, it actually works out £1 cheaper to buy the infinitely better 32MB EADS from Scan instead and have done with it. You're not limited to one per order this way either...

Registered+
    Thanks

Just recevied a HDD from ebuyer for my aunties build - came in an air tight jiffy bag inside a cardboard box with the rest of the components.

Would say it was adequately packaged, not fantastic, but by no means poor.

Thanks

Sammorris, I agree with you about Aria. They are not straight up. I bought a rather expensive Logitech mouse from them a while ago now and they delivered the European version which is illegal in this country! I was told this by Logitech as the lead was a two pin. They told me to go back and contact Aria again stating what they had told me.

Gist of it: Aria, after five calls still did nothing and didn't even bother to call me back. In the end I had to go back to Logitech and they sent me the correct lead and I have to say Logitech customer service and Tech support are the best I've dealt with.

They were not impressed by Aria at all!

As for ebuyer, despite the mix up with delivery they were excellent and I would choose them over Aria any time.

Thanks
    • sammorris's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • UP3214Q / U2312HM x2
      • Internet:
      • Enta FTTC 70/20

I don't think EU versions of products are illegal as far as I'm aware, as every single product shipped from Pixmania.co.uk is the french version. Aria used to have excellent customer service a few years back, but success went to their heads, they've removed most of the services that made them so useful as a company, and are now among the middle ground for shops. I still trust them more than OcUK and MicroDirect, which are the two worst companies I've dealt with, and again with Eclipse, who my friend had the misfortune to deal with, but when there's ebuyer, Scan and Specialtech around, there's little need to go anywhere else. Tekheads and Dabs sales always seemed quite good, but I've seen a few return horror stories, including from friends I know and trust.

I have to say, the returns process with ebuyer was first class. A fault that would have been difficult to diagnose was confirmed (perhaps it wasn't tested at all and still marked faulty?) within 30 hours of it arriving at their premises, and the refund is on its way. The only downside is they don't refund you the shipping cost of the item in the first place, or the shipping cost of sending it to them. They do arrange a courier collection for free, but since it's City-Link, I can't make use of that at home, as we have a 70+% ninja-card rate, so I had to spend £19.77 at the post office and 1h20 sending it by Parcelforce.

Thanks

Ive never had any trouble with aria, i have the numbers of some of the guys who work there, so ive always managed to get things sorted.

Thanks
    • sammorris's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • UP3214Q / U2312HM x2
      • Internet:
      • Enta FTTC 70/20

I had an email from Aria after having reported the HDD issue. They say they sell both, and they do, and would recommend I RMA the EAVS drives if I received the wrong item. However, when you click superspecial from the page of either the EAVS, or the EACS, it takes you to the same page, but with the title of whichever drive you were looking at first. The specs further down always say WD10EACS, but the WD10EAVS is what you end up with, on three separate occasions. I tried to explain this to them, will see what happens.

Thanks
    • CX23882-19's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI K9AG Neo2-Digital
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon X2 BE-2350
      • Memory:
      • 2.0GB DDR2-800
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital WD6400AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS EAH3650+ VNF100
      • PSU:
      • Antec Neo HE 430
      • Case:
      • Evercase ECE-4252
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit SP1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP-HC
      • Internet:
      • Vispa ADSL 2Mbps

I usually use Scan, who package everything in tonnes of bubblewrap (even things like cables come bubblewrapped, but it always comes in handy for eBay) but this time I couldn't pass on the Hitachi 1TB offer at eBuyer. I ordered two of the disks, and they were delivered (quickly) in their regular anti-moisure+static bag which was in turn in a sealed padded plastic envelope and these were in turn separated by a layer of Storopack AIRplus bags and then the whole lot was surrounded by another layer of AIRplus and put into a sturdy box.

Aria are often cheap, and I've never had any problems with things I've ordered from them, but I have been disappointed when they deliver things like OEM TV tuner cards in nothing more than a padded envelope (which then gets shoved through my rather stiff brass letterbox cover). Fortunately everything has always arrived intact, but the potential to break the PCB or knock of a capacitor is huge.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information