• Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Hyundai BlueH
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Virgin cable

Reasons not to buy from DELL

Saw a reaonable Pentium 4 offer from Dell a week ago. P4 2.8 with free memory upgade to 512 MB. Now neighbour has been looking for a cheap pc for a while so this seemed to fit the bill. The odered 2 days before the offer was due to be completed. Phoned up and got the hard sell "Oh you can have a better flat monitor for only £100 more and warenty for extra £94. She stuck to her guns I only want the offer advertised in National Press. So order is taken. Later that day Dell phone to arranged delivery for Tuesday 25th. Fine no problem.

Friday last week Dell turn up with pc for them (early omg when does that happen). Saturday I went through to put it all together. First thing I notice sticker on the case. Intel Inside (CELERON) hmmm strange I though must have put wrong sticker on it.

Set it up and powered on. go through the usual setups and get to desktop. Checked system properties and low and behold a Celeron 2.66 is installed and only 256 MB ram.

She has now been on the phone 4 times to CS who pass her to sales who pass he to whoever the feel like (even got the lassie at reception) 3 times they have said they would phone back 3 times she had to contact them. 1 time a so-called sales manager who said its ok we'll send one out and you can keep the old one. So my neighbour was a bit suspiscious about this and asked what exactly they were sending. "A Mouse". Later they offered a free (£15) printer yeah right and last offer has been a full refund 3 times. Shes sticking to he guns and holding out for what she paid for.

Its now in hands of Trading Standards and if they fail a letter to the newspapers will follow.

So be warned Dell are shoddy for the home user.

Excuse some typing my keyboard (non dell ) is knackered and I'm waiting for a swap out at work.

Thanks
    • Robert's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6X58D Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 12GB Dominator 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 10TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 480
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200
      • Case:
      • Corsair 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 HP Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • Eizo SW110W+
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb
    I have also had similar troubles with Dell. I ordered an FPW2005 from OcUK (do you have any no-competitor rules here?) which had backlight issues. I asked for a replacement from Dell to be sent a refurb. This had the same issue...so I phoned up again and was shipped a brand new one. This wasn't bad but it still had noticeable backlight bleed. I initiated a refund and should receive it sometime this week. However that was last thursday (when OcUK apparently sent my refund). They apparently sent it whilst I was on the phone with them. I suppose it's only 3.5days since they sent it.

Thanks
    Dell CS aint the best as getting to speak to the right person isnt always easy.

However, I've found that if you complain long enough and loud enough they will sort it out and you should be due some compensation - in fact ask for it directly and the replacement system may even appear with a little upgrade!

Banned
    Thanks
    Dell send out at email and also letter confirming the order and the components within that order with every i dotted and t crossed.

Did it not match what you received?

If not just get it sent back. They'll send a courier round to scoop it up no time at all.

Its easier to order by internet - that way there are no misunderstandings.

Thanks
    • McMav's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.4
      • Memory:
      • 4GB kingston Hyperx pc8500
      • Storage:
      • 160GB WD SATA2 500 GB Sammy
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HIS 6870 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 520W Corsair Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Hyundai BlueH
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Virgin cable
    yeah they are letting Trading standards deal with it but I told then to accept nothing less than what they ordered and even ask for a upgrade or 2

Thanks
    But under Distance Selling Regulations there is no need to involve TS.

You are entitled to refuse the system no matter what. As david said - as long as they have the .pdf confirmation with the correct spec then Dell are bang to rights to sort it out.

Thanks
    • McMav's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.4
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HIS 6870 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 520W Corsair Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Hyundai BlueH
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Virgin cable
    Yup true but when all dell are doing is passing them from pillar to post withno-one actually dealling with it. Trading standards have to be used as they wont fob thewm of so easily. Effectively all they were trying to do was wear them down into accepting a refund and not supply the correct equipment.

Dell for home user = poor Dell for business user poor but not quite as bad.

Thanks
    • McMav's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.4
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HIS 6870 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 520W Corsair Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Hyundai BlueH
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Virgin cable
    Quote Originally Posted by davidstone28
    Dell send out at email and also letter confirming the order and the components within that order with every i dotted and t crossed.

Did it not match what you received?

If not just get it sent back. They'll send a courier round to scoop it up no time at all.

Its easier to order by internet - that way there are no misunderstandings.

point 1. It was ordered via phone as the neighbour does not have a computer and therefore no internet access.
    2. They never sent out a letter confirming order. They couldnt even send the machine on the right day.

So I cannot check as there was no documentation sent out not even with the machine itself. I believe the person who took the order (Clearly wasnt based in europe letalone UK/Ireland) has fecked it up. And they are not willing to sort it.

Thats why trading standards are involved. The advert from the national press which has the e-value code attatched to it that was used for the order has been retained by the neighbour and I think TS will be calling for it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I have also had similar troubles with Dell. I ordered an FPW2005 from OcUK (do you have any no-competitor rules here?) which had backlight issues. I asked for a replacement from Dell to be sent a refurb. This had the same issue...so I phoned up again and was shipped a brand new one. This wasn't bad but it still had noticeable backlight bleed. I initiated a refund and should receive it sometime this week. However that was last thursday (when OcUK apparently sent my refund). They apparently sent it whilst I was on the phone with them. I suppose it's only 3.5days since they sent it.
    The blacklight bleed is a known issue. As is the curtain door effect. Thats why the they're relatively cheap - low manufacturing costs, low QC etc Thats why there's a huge price different between the Apple and the Dell - they both use the same LG Phillips - but are assembled in completely different ways.

If you want quality go for the Apple Cinema or the Samsung equivalent. Quality will cost ya though....
    Last edited by Hobart Paving; 26-10-2005 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks
    • Robert's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6X58D Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 10TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 480
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200
      • Case:
      • Corsair 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 HP Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • Eizo SW110W+
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb
    Just received my Eizo S2110W today so screw apple .

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobart Paving
    The blacklight bleed is a known issue. As is the curtain door effect. Thats why the they're relatively cheap - low manufacturing costs, low QC etc Thats why there's a huge price different between the Apple and the Dell - they both use the same LG Phillips - but are assembled in completely different ways.

If you want quality go for the Apple Cinema or the Samsung equivalent. Quality will cost ya though....
    Hmmm I'd be careful on that one. My Dell 2001FP has superior electronics to the Apple equivalent (same panel again) with far better connectivity, and won out over it in a few head-to-heads too. Apple aren't renouned (thesedays anyway) for amazing quality (at least in my eyes). Apple charge a lot simply because they can (i.e. because people will pay regardless of technical merit). Remember too that Dell ship a phenominal amount of panels (our local Eizo salesman claimed in the region of 16,000 per month) as so quality issues will arise (as does with Apple products) in a seemingly larger amount - but how do they relate to Apple's own figures in proportion?

I'm not defending Dell - they do have appaling customer service - but i've been stunned by both 2001FP panels i've bought (one for work, one for home), particularly when i think what i paid for them compared to the cinemadisplay.. So perhaps they're not terrible for everything?

The so-called screen-door effect is a result of the LG Phillips panel, not the Dell electronics driving it and isn't something (personally) that I notice (anymore than i did the trinitron 'mask' lines on CRTs) to the point of distraction. I, too, have heard of backlight leakage issues on my own model but have not experienced it myself. The 3 year warranty does help tho.

BTW Eizo's 24" widescreen has yet to launch (we have a 21" one on demo here - it's nice but looks like crud) but i'll have one here when it does if anyone's interested. They are very expensive, but i'll conceed they're excellent panels (which is why we buy them - i'm in nanotech imaging where quality is paramount).
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    Just received my Eizo S2110W today so screw apple .
    That's the 21" wide right? We've got a pre-production model here and it's very nice (but came set and an eye-searing 100% brightness!) but i didn't like the surround - it was very square (school of right angles) and the stand was er.. odd - what on earth were they thinking with that weird lean-back-and-drop thing? Could see the point in the touch-sensitive buttons either - they were just annoying! How's the final by comparison? I know the IQ is very good
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    • Robert's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6X58D Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 10TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 480
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200
      • Case:
      • Corsair 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 HP Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • Eizo SW110W+
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb
    Yeah. Personally I think it looks great. It has a quality feel about it. Looks stunning (IQ wise). I would never go back to dell again after using this. Hell, I wouldn't lower to any other make after using this . How do you find Eizo as a company altogether?

Thanks
    so dell sent you 2 replacements no hassle, and have now also given you a refund. and you are complaining why?

Thanks
    • McMav's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.4
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HIS 6870 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 520W Corsair Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Hyundai BlueH
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Virgin cable
    maybe coz a 400 quid monitor shouldnt need to be replaced 3 times and certainly not with 1 refurb model.

Thanks
    • Robert's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6X58D Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 10TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 480
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200
      • Case:
      • Corsair 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 HP Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • Eizo SW110W+
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb
    Quote Originally Posted by McMav
    maybe coz a 400 quid monitor shouldnt need to be replaced 3 times and certainly not with 1 refurb model.

Exactly. Sorry Davos, you may think getting a refurb for a brand new monitor is fine...but I don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information