Thread: Socket A motherboard

Thanks

Socket A motherboard

I am looking for a socket A motherboard to go with an Athlon 2200+ for a second system. Nothing fancy required, I want to keep it cheap so is it possible to get a board for under £20.00??

Thanks
    u might need to get a 2nd hand one. I recommend the Asus A7N8X Deluxe

My System: Coolermaster Centurion 5 (black) case, Intel E6750 Core2Duo, Tagan Easy-Con 530W, Asus P5B Deluxe WIFI, OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC, Samsung SpinPoint 200Gb SATA2 / 2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200Gb SATA, 256Mb Sapphire ATI PCI-E X1950PRO, Creative X-Fi Xtreme 7.1, 19" Daewoo W9ZQ Black Widescreen TFT, 4Mb Virgin Cable Broadband (formerly Blueyonder) with Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G and DD-WRT firmware.

Thanks
    The Abit NF7 boards are good too (depends on if want SATA as well - look for a NF7-S instead of a NF7).

Just my 2p...

Banned
    Thanks
    £20 will be hard unless it is 2nd hand. Otherwise PCChips boards are cheap!

Thanks
    Great. Thanks for the advice. Ive had Asus boards in the past and jave just bought a AN8 Sli Deluxe for my other rig so i THINK asus is the way to go if I can find a good second hand one! Maybe £20.00 is asking a bit much! cheers!

Thanks
    Scan do the Asus or Asrock boards which are pretty good for the money!

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...Thumbnails=yes

Thanks
    I got a PC Chips board from ebuyer its shown at £16, considering what was paid for it, its been very good. Its a basic board with no bells or whistles (onboard sound, USB and LAN but no SATA) and its BIOS isn't particularly overclocker friendly but its reliable and stable for about 2 years now so I can't complain.

They don't stock it any more but the next cheapest board ebuyer do is £17.99+VAT.

Ebuyer also has some limited open box stock... their cheapest delivery option takes you about £2 over budget with that one.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...=50271&_LOC=UK

Scan do http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=138542 a board for £23.14 Inc VAT, over your budget and there will be delivery on top of that.
    Last edited by KowShak; 06-02-2006 at 11:39 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    PC Chips? Not even worth the PCB its printed on.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidstone28
    PC Chips? Not even worth the PCB its printed on.....
    The first PC Chips board I had was called "PC100" and had prominent stickers all over it saying that it was a "PC100" board, when in fact it only ran at 83MHz FSB. They went to extreme lengths to hide what the actual board chipset was and even the BIOS lied about the FSB speed. Apart from that minor "problem" it was a stable board and is still working in the PC its in. All of the PC Chips boards I've had have been stable. The days of the "VX Pro", "TX Pro" and the like are long gone. Since the ECS merger things have been a lot better.

I've got had two Abit boards that have problems, a BX6 that was working fine until I tried to reboot it (through windows) and it didn't start up again. The second Abit board I had problems with was a KA7 that developed problems with its capacitors, over a period of a couple of years it gradually became more and more unstable and it wouldn't boot until it had warmed up. I replaced about 28 capacitors and now its more stable but not completely so. Out of 3 Abit boards, 1 has lasted to become obsolete and remained stable until I stopped using it by choice. I'd prefer a PC Chips board to an Abit board unless the Abit was free.

Thread Information