Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think freebay, not eBay - chanceXchange, the free swop shop

Thanks

Think freebay, not eBay - chanceXchange, the free swop shop

A not-for-profit web site, chanceXchange, set up just after Christmas lets you swap unwanted items that you'd otherwise bin or give away.

The idea, according to the site's creator Chris Timms, is to stop waste and promote the recycling of unwanted products, based on the principle that one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Everything offered up for swapping is treated as having equal value, with each item you give away gaining you one credit that can be exchanged for an item you fancy. The giver has to pay the postage, so small, cheap-to-post items such as CDs, DVDs, games and paperback books are favourite.

Find out more.

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Alternatively - think FREECYCLE!...

Thanks
    yeah freecycle ftw. This concept has been around for a while. Gumtree also do a section for free stuff.

Has all the piri-piri! GeorgeTuk's Avatar
    Thanks
    I got a lawn 14 sq metres for free from Freecycle and a dishwasher. Not advertised anything yet but its our first house so need an opportunity to accumulate first!

Freecycle ftw!

Stealth Geek - And Proud!

Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    I'm going to be putting up a couple of CRTs as soon as Scan get that damned 226BW Samsung in...

Thanks
    I think this is a great idea, some people do need things and I know that I'm terrible for hording or throwing stuff out instead of seeing if anyone else wants it.

I'm thinking of putting my old Athlon XP system on there.

Thanks
    Hi
    Ive been on this site. I have sent quite a few items to people, cos I believe that if you sign up to do something, you should keep your word and do it! Unfortunately, I appear to be on my own in that respect. A total of six items Ive requested have NOT come to fruition. I now have one item pending delivery...I hope the person does NOT let me down, but having gone through the letdown so many times, well, I'm not gonna hold my breath, if you catch my drift!!
    I admire Chris' efforts to keep the site up and running... I have also had problems with the log-in part... I got in touch and I think it may have got to the stage where I lost the will to live...
    Having said all that, I'm an absolute glutton for punishment, and I am still on there. It feels like I know Chris personally now....it's almost my second home!!!!!!

Thanks
    Eeek!

Thanks
    oN SECOND THOUGHTS RE; THE ABOVE SITE
    Take a bit of well heard advice..... FORGET IT!

RE; y i wrote the above = just asked for another item and been refused

Once more and I'm off it! Theres only so many lies and stuff one person can take imho, and I just reached near boiled
    Last edited by GeorgesMum; 16-03-2007 at 11:48 AM. Reason: didnt write nearlly as much as i needed to

Thanks
    FURTHER UPDATE TO ABOVE MSG!

SO> Your very own 'mine host' on these very pages is now one of the non-sendees!!
    This is a copy of an email I have just sent him incase its not him causing it at all!

quote:-
    Bob, You are the last person I thought would let me down! After adverting the chancexchange site on here, and listing an item, you then go ahead and refuse to send it! Was just wondering what was happening? Is it you who has refused to send, or is it the ones that own the site (i.e.Chriss Timms) that are messing everyone around?? Big questions!!

It may well be the people who run the site that are doing this, and causing me to have feelings that I shouldnt have. I have to say, after reading what Bob has written here about the xchange site, and admitting to posting something on it and saying, @Right lets see what happens?' To then go and send mail 'refusal to send' I find it very hard to believe... and tbh, not at all nice! Cheers Bob and Chris!

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    my, if only there was some common "thing" we could use for battering.

That way the market could decide how many "thing"s an item is worth, exchange that many "thing"s and get it.

Because these "thing"s might not need to be anything more than an IOU from a trusted source you could do it all online.

throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgesMum View Post
    FURTHER UPDATE TO ABOVE MSG!

SO> Your very own 'mine host' on these very pages is now one of the non-sendees!!
    This is a copy of an email I have just sent him incase its not him causing it at all!

quote:-
    Bob, You are the last person I thought would let me down! After adverting the chancexchange site on here, and listing an item, you then go ahead and refuse to send it! Was just wondering what was happening? Is it you who has refused to send, or is it the ones that own the site (i.e.Chriss Timms) that are messing everyone around?? Big questions!!

It may well be the people who run the site that are doing this, and causing me to have feelings that I shouldnt have. I have to say, after reading what Bob has written here about the xchange site, and admitting to posting something on it and saying, @Right lets see what happens?' To then go and send mail 'refusal to send' I find it very hard to believe... and tbh, not at all nice! Cheers Bob and Chris!
    I did indeed put up an item for exchange and I did indeed receive an email advising me that someone wanted it.

What I didn't do, though, is refuse to send it.

I simply have not had time to respond - so that message must have been auto-generated after a period of time as a result of my not responding.

Thanks
    Oh, and the item that I had offered has completely disappeared from my catalogue on the site!

I'm very far from impressed and am now thinking that this is an appropriate time to walk away from chanceXchange - unlesss someone can convince me otherwise.

Thanks
    Back again!
    Thought Id pop in and see what Bob had to say!
    So it is the site owners then by the looks of things....

Im sorry Im not going to attempt to encourage anyone to stay on site Im afraid Bob.
    My thoughts are as theyv been for a while now. Ive so far spent quite a bit posting things out to people, (Im on a pension too) and its a total waste!
    As I said in my first post, if theyre not prepared to keep their end of the bargain, why bother listing in the first place?

It makes me wonder, tbh, and I'm in doubt now as to whether the site's got a hope in hell of working if its all one sided, cos obviously, the likes of me are eventually going to reach the conclusion that theyve had enough!
    I realise, in all fairness to Chris Simms and the crew, that they are asking you to list items that you no longer want... thats fair enough, but surely prior to listing, you have already considered the posting of these items??

I have to admit the first time I approached the post office and found how much it cost to post a dvd, I was shocked. But I'd said I'd do it (by signing in the site in the first place) and when it came to thoughts of what I was getting to replace the item I was posting, (what I'd ordered/been promised with my credits) I admit that with that thought in mind, putting the two of them together and thinking, ''well its just as if Im paying for my item'' I think thats what made me carry on, and they all got posted, costing me money I could basically ill afford.
    Now Ive realised it really is a one-sided coin. And Im the loser! So. I'm off it! I'm going to the freecycle site (as reccommended by your second postee on here = nichomach) and perhaps a good note to end this message on, is the footnote written under the username of the one under nichomach, (i.e. Steve B) and by taking that thought into account, and adding that everyone has limits, this is probably a good time to bid you Goodbye!

Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable

Re: Think freebay, not eBay - chanceXchange, the free swop shop

Seriously though, anyone else see that post and think "SCAM", or is it just me?

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Re: Think freebay, not eBay - chanceXchange, the free swop shop

if you're talking about kenpitson's post then I'm thinking "SPAM" rather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information