Thread: HEXUS.reviews :: QNAP Turbo Station TS-109 Pro

Team HEXUS.net
    Thanks

HEXUS.reviews :: QNAP Turbo Station TS-109 Pro

Regular HEXITES will be no strangers to suitable home storage products; we've reviewed a number of NAS products now, but today is the first time we've presented to you a product from QNAP. Let us see what kind of twist they can put on their NAS offering, shall we?
    Check it out.

DR
    Thanks
    I am pleased NAS is becoming more mainstream I am keen though, for someone to add some sort of backup software which makes life easier for the mainstream user

Thanks

TwonkyMedia

I think one of the most important points you've missed in this review is that TwonkyMedia's UPNP streaming is second to none. Its is probably the best solution for streaming to an Xbox 360 without the need of a PC.

I have a Synology 106J and have just registered a copy of it which I have manually installed onto it and it servers all my home media devices, but more importantly my 360 and I believe it now supports PS3's as well

If the OS is unlocked installing something like MLDonkey on it as well will make your download life a breeze as well

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: HEXUS.reviews :: QNAP Turbo Station TS-109 Pro

Good review Tarinder - confirmed to me that I should get one!

My LAN is only 100Mb so for the moment it has not reached its full potential. One thing I dont understand / need help with...

If I attach a USB drive directly to QNAP and want to transfer files from it (using the Qmultimedia web interface), I select the drive using the browse function (its shown as a network drive). All the data goes from the USB drive to my PC and back to QNAP instead of by a direct transfer. Very slow. This is either madness or there must be another way to transfer files from attached USB Hard drive. (The copy button is not suitable)

Any comments appreciated.

PS. I just tried to cut and paste a file between QUSB folder and Qmultimedia folder and the file is tranferred via the LAN! (even using WEB multimedia upload interface). This cant be right. Pls help.
    Last edited by MarkR; 01-09-2007 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks

You're initiating the transfers from your machine, which means they'll go through your machine.

Basically you can't do it the way you're trying.

Probably your best option is to SSH into the box, work out what directories the Qmultimedia and USB drive reside in, then issue the copy command via that. That way it'll run from the TS-109 itself
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi Steve, Thanks very much. That is exactly what I want to do. I tried using the web interface (web file manager) and got no-where and dont know how to SSH. Can you be more specific. The web file manager for me would be the easiest if it can.

BTW I pressed the "copy USB" button yesterday. It was soooo slow. There is no 480Mbs about it. 8GBs took over an hour. I thought it would save time being faster than my 100Mbs LAN. It wasnt. I then had to transfer it into another folder (externally) and that took another age and defeated the whole object.

Considering the set up is so straight forward I really think this "problem" should get some mention somewhere.

Apart from the hours getting stuff on the disk, I do really like it!

Thanks in advance Steve (or any other knowledgeable sole).

Thread Information