Thread: PS3 and PSP firmware updates released

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

PS3 and PSP firmware updates released

The PSP has received a firmware upgrade to version 3.52, whereas the PS3 has received a more substantial update to version 1.90, adding a number of new features.
    Read more.

Thanks
    Are the PSP updates still just an attempt to stop you doing what you really want to with it?

Thanks
    There's no information on what these 'revised' security updates actually are for the PSP.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven W View Post
    There's no information on what these 'revised' security updates actually are for the PSP.
    I remember them (sony) doing this before, when some innovative hackers had made some improvements to the use of the psp, sony would release an (urgent) update/patch which negated said improvements.

I could never understand this policy, as surely it is betterto have the things in use (ie sold) and that the users were happy (the whole reason people hacked the psp was because they were not happy with the vanilla version and wanted to improve it), and once the psp's were hacked, the warrenty became invalid, so sony didn't have to provide support.

Thanks
    I didnt upgrade my firmware when i got my psp and ran homebrew, what a load of pants that was, the homamade game scene was really bad (maybe because being a pc gamer and all the free online games and stuff) so i updated and glad, now the only reason to downgrade was to play some of the illegal games i managed to get hold off (downloaded games) but as i said the only way you can play them is too downgrade the firmware and risk the chance of briking ya psp, so i believe sony are right to include these security measures otherwise they will lose lots from pirate games.

Thanks
    It's good to see Sony FINALLY cottoning onto how good the Xbox 360 is as a media hub and starting to make the PS3 the same... Now, if they could just sort out the online stuff then the PS3 has a chance of earning a place in peoples' homes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    • Barrichello's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2 x (250GB) Samsung 840 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce GTX 770 (DC2OC 2GB GDDR5)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750HX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Linux/Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2720T
      • Internet:
      • 100MB/100MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Now, if they could just sort out the online stuff then the PS3 has a chance of earning a place in peoples' homes.
    My PS3 works fine online. What do you mean?

Thanks
    I mean the online experience as a whole.

Take Xbox LIVE and the whole online thing, it's a proper GUI interface, purpose built for the Xbox 360... it's smooth, easy to navigate and just feels like part of the Xbox 360's normal interface.

Now go to the PS Network on your PS3 and all you're really doing is browsing a webpage using a joypad... Sure, it's 100 times better than when the PS3 first launched but it's still clunky and trickier to navigate than Xbox LIVE.

Good things are that Sony have enabled background downloading (took MS long enough to figure that one out!), and the quality of HD content is very good (got the 8 minute Die Hard 4.0 trailer? ) but actually getting around the site is a pain in the bum compared to Xbox LIVE's slickness.
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    • Barrichello's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2 x (250GB) Samsung 840 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce GTX 770 (DC2OC 2GB GDDR5)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750HX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Linux/Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2720T
      • Internet:
      • 100MB/100MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I mean the online experience as a whole.
    Now go to the PS Network on your PS3 and all you're really doing is browsing a webpage using a joypad... Sure, it's 100 times better than when the PS3 first launched but it's still clunky and trickier to navigate than Xbox LIVE.
    I don't use a joypad for browsing anymore - i now use a wireless keyboard and mouse - but yeah compared to the xbox 360 PSN is still in its infancy and im sure more functionality and content will be introduced as time goes on which seems to happen on each update

Quick tip to PS3 owners -I have found that orb http://www.orb.com/gamers/ps3.htm - which works nice as a media hub- and works well with PC for accessing/streaming music/video/photo's etc

10. Received thanks from:

gtech (24-07-2007)

Thanks
    Yeah, Orb's been around ages.

With the DNLA update included on the previous update, you can now stream from a DNLA PC (Vista and XP with Media Player 11) so the PS3 is matching the Xbox 360 in streaming content and Orb brings in media centre-like abilities too.

What Sony really need to do is push hard on ALL the online and media stuff and present the PS3 as a real alternative to ALL the Xbox 360's multiple uses.

Thanks
    cheers bazza, heard about orb but didnt really do anything about it, until reading the link i will def try it tonight!! How you getting on with darkness? i'm near the end (i think) going to sink paulies boat, there was a few cut scenes that i werent expecting that were pure class, quality game!!

Thanks
    Does anyone here think that The Darkness' cut-scenes are strongly reminiscent of the gangster film Love, Honour and Obey? The flashback stuff that Jonny does all through the film?

(And if you haven't seen this film, you bloody well should, it's brilliant!)

Thread Information