Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would HEXUS users pay to upgrade from Vista to XP?

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Would HEXUS users pay to upgrade from Vista to XP?

Earlier this month we ran a poll asking "A year after launch - How much would you pay to Upgrade from Vista to XP?" Having collected over a thousand votes, we've got some interesting results to reveal.
    Read more.

explorer.exe
    Thanks

Re: HEXUS users would pay to upgrade from Vista to XP

You need to change the headline, it's misleading.

You do not show that "HEXUS users would pay to upgrade from Vista to XP", you show that most don't care, and then those that have Vista, most are happy.

Changing the title to a question by moving the 'would' to the beginning, or prefixing the whole thing with 'Some' would work fine.

Splash

I have to agree - 52% state that they haven't used it (or that's my interpretation) so as far as I'm concerned aren't really in a position to comment other than based on the FUD that's doing the rounds. 64.6% of the remaining poll sample state that they're happy (Vista Rocks), a further 16.7% claim that they're generally satisifed (Vista ain't that bad), 6.25% are annoyed at UAC (which I'd argue is something that Windows has needed for a long time if it's to shake it's shoddy "everything as superuser" security model) and a further 16.7% are statiing that they'd prefer another OS. That's as tabloid a headline as I'd expect on Daily Mail Island, and really not the kind of journalistic work I expect of Hexus.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

True. A more accurate headline would be 'A minority of Hexus users would pay to upgrade from Vista to XP'.. looks different doesn't it?

Thanks
    • Dorza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe - WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung SpinPoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Cosair HX520W
      • Case:
      • LianLi something something or other
      • Monitor(s):
      • Eizo FlexScan S1910 (1280*1024)
      • Internet:
      • 2mb Virgin (when they want to give me that: else 1mb)

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    I have to agree - 52% state that they haven't used it (or that's my interpretation) so as far as I'm concerned aren't really in a position to comment other than based on the FUD that's doing the rounds. 64.6% of the remaining poll sample state that they're happy (Vista Rocks), a further 16.7% claim that they're generally satisifed (Vista ain't that bad), 6.25% are annoyed at UAC (which I'd argue is something that Windows has needed for a long time if it's to shake it's shoddy "everything as superuser" security model) and a further 16.7% are statiing that they'd prefer another OS. That's as tabloid a headline as I'd expect on Daily Mail Island, and really not the kind of journalistic work I expect of Hexus.
    Don't want to put a downer on it, but I, also have highlight the fact that all but one of the answers are negatives....

* Nothing - Vista Rocks! - Positive
    * £25 Vista ain't that bad... - The question is neutral, but given that you would still like to be paid to get rid of it, then it has to be a negative response
    * £50 UAC is driving me insane.... - Negative
    * £100 - Get me off Vista now! - Negative
    * I'm not silly enough to have run it first time round... - Negative.

The way I look at it the overall poll is biased against Vista. Of the possible 5 answers, 2 should be positive, 1 should be neutral and 2 should be negative, not 4 negative, 1 positive - its skewed.

Thanks

Re: Would HEXUS users pay to upgrade from Vista to XP?

oooh, tasty feedback! Thanks

I do agree Silent Shark, in hindsight the title was misleading and has been altered.

As Splash has highlighted, the current poll results can be interpreted in a number of ways. I wouldn't personally look at the numbers quite as Splash has done so. I see it as 52% wouldn't go near Vista, 31% really like it, 17% can't stand it.

With those figures in mind, they can be looked at in all sorts of ways.

I personally voted in the "Vista rocks" category and use Vista on both my desktop and laptop. I just found it interesting that the poll highlighted how many users on a tech site don't want to use Vista and though it was a smaller percentage, I found it interesting that nearly 200 people would pay to lose Vista.

*update* Dorza, I didn't set the poll options originally so can't comment on that. The answers could have provided better options, but I still found the results interesting to follow.

Thanks

That 53% for those who use XP includes both those who have not tried, will not try, or simply not yet planning to try Vista. So yes, the real numbers are not as bad as a casual glance might indicate.

But the numbers do seem to generally point at a general trend of slow uptake of the new OS. This has security implications, delays the roll-out of new features, and reduces the likelyhood of DX10 development.

Thanks
    • DeSean's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5K Premium Wifi/AP
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600 B3 @ 2400Mhz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 2x2048MB
      • Storage:
      • Raptor 36GB, MaXLine III 2x250GB, HD501J 2x500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Zeus ST75ZF
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ-09
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 225MW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10Mb

• Nearly one third of voters really like Vista....
    • Only 17% choose the answers that suggest they have used it and not exactly been impressed.
    • Over half of the people who voted seem to suggest they have never actually used Vista properly.

The poll is biased against Vista. I'm far from being a MS fanboy, but most of this dislike shown by the results is based on rumour or second-hand information or impressions formed by early releases. Of the people who indicated they have actually used the OS, only a very small percentage actually chose the most negative option.

Thanks

I just like how cosy we've all become with Windows XP. The XP horror show that was pre-SP1 was far and away worse, and for much the same reasons - some niggly OS issues highlighted by lazy developers.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    I have to agree - 52% state that they haven't used it (or that's my interpretation) so as far as I'm concerned aren't really in a position to comment other than based on the FUD that's doing the rounds. ....
    I can see how you reach that, but as one of the 52% that said that, it wasn't what I meant. The problem is that poll results often don't reflect your exact situation, so you pick the closest option. In my case, that was 'I've used it but wouldn't pay to upgrade to Vista because at the moment I see no benefit that justifies the cost.' It doesn't mean I know nothing about Vista, or even that it doesn't have benefits I can see. Rather, it means that having considered it, I rejected it and don't have it on any active machines, so I don't need to 'upgrade' back to XP. That is, I wasn't "silly enough" to either have upgraded, or bought machines with it on, without checking out the implications first.

Whether others opting for that choice are familiar with Vista and feel similarly, or just aren't familiar with it, I've no idea.

Pseudo-Mad Scientist Whiternoise's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Whiternoise's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LANPARTY JR P45-T2RS
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 5.6TB Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4780
      • PSU:
      • 425W Modu82+ Enermax
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08b
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 23" IPS
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbps Fibre Line

I ticked the "not silly enough" box and it's because i've tried it on my friend's PC's and i found it horrible. The lack of things that i just found plain useful in XP (the simplicity of the Start menu for one thing) and the lack of compatibility with games that i want to play.

I also agree with Saracen in that i don't see many things that Vista can offer me that doesn't already exist in XP. The only potential hooks are games that only run under Vista (but that's typically Microsoft franchises so no worries there) and DX10, but as the benefits aren't really enough to warrant a whole new OS that may or may not run the vast majority of my older games.. One reason i'm considering OSX is because with each new release, there is generally a tangible difference between versions - not just how pretty the GUI is - this is just my opinion from having tried, XP and Vista and OSX Tiger and OSX Leopard.
    Last edited by Whiternoise; 21-12-2007 at 10:38 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

I find Vista great. No problems at all. Much preferable to XP now.

Thanks
    • Dareos's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77 - UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Geforce 670 OC Windforce x 2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1050 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" DGM and 40" Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • 152 Mb Virgin

and i find myself in a position unenviable to others, a position where i see a lot of respected and knowledgeable hexites on the opposite side of the fence....

I love Vista, i really do, i am in the same situation that i was with 98 moving to XP and again it is time to move on.

Windows 95 took some getting used to, and by the time we were, 98 was out, 2 years later XP ruled the roost, and its taken 6 years to bring out yet another format for us to get to grips with, but then its taken 6 years for the technology to move that far forward imo.

There are a lot of niggles with Vista, but they are exactly that, niggles, like that itchy spot in your ear, that you can't quite scratch with a cotton bud because you are in danger of poking yourself in the brain.

It really is better than XP, in a lot of ways, but sometimes we seek the familiarity of XP, because after 6 years of using an operating system, we become accustomed to it, and we know its idiosync, its ido, its.... qwerks.... for want of a word i can't spell without looking at dictionary.com.

Vista looks good, it works mostly well, which is a lot more than i can say for XP when it came out, and nevertheless i am about to have a rant in GD about XP, VIsta and MS in general when it comes to the XBox, but am i satisfied, pretty much tbh.
    We're only here for the Banter - The Luvvies - Chewin' The Fat

Violence and Lubrication is the solution to fixing everything, if it still doesn't work, you need more lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    How do you change the height of them?

I've just had a quick fiddle with the knob at the front :\

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

52% say 'Not silly enough to have tried it'?????

Talk about totally distorting the facts........

How on earth can an opinion be made on something without actually trying it?????

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro

Tried it, hated it, went back to XP.

Ditto with my parent's laptop - they hated it too..

Nearly everyone I work with is of the same opinion too.

Buggy, bloated, awkward, flawed, pointless, it adds nothing useful and manages to make itself much more difficult to use in a productivity environment.

TBH, once this machine runs out of steam, my next computer will be a mac.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    52% say 'Not silly enough to have tried it'?????

Talk about totally distorting the facts........

How on earth can an opinion be made on something without actually trying it?????
    But the poll didn't say that. It said "weren't silly enough to have run it first time round". Given the limited set of poll options, that's going to include people like me that have tried it, and see no point at the moment in going to it, and so still have live machines on XP (or 2000, or linux, etc) so don't need to "upgrade" from Vista back to XP.

I don't know about everybody else in the 52%, but I've tried it and see insufficient advantage to me in going to it, at the moment. Yes, Vista has advantages and some of them would be useful to me, but it has disadvantages too, not least of which is what it would cost to upgrade my machines. And what would I get from that "upgrade"? Some hardware that won't function because of lack of drivers. Some software that is working perfectly well for me but would need upgrading (adding to the cost) and a need to upgrade some machines just to run it effectively.

And, of course, there's a learning curve too. It'd cost me time working out how to do things that I can already do (in my sleep) on existing systems.

Will I end up on Vista? For some machines, inevitably yes. Other machines will eventually die or get retired and replacements will probably be supplied pre-installed. I've got nothing against Vista as such. It just doesn't offer me anything right now that justifies the cost and aggravation. But it certainly doesn't mean I don't know anything about it or haven't tried it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information