Thread: Review :: Mario Kart - Wii

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Review :: Mario Kart - Wii

So the big question is this: does Mario Kart on the Wii do anything new or is it just more of the same only now using the Wii Remote motion sensing stuff? Well the answer to that is both yes and no... read on to find out why...
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Review :: Mario Kart - Wii

This game make me want to get a Wii even more now.

Game looks so much fun.
    www | F | T | @

Thanks

Nintendo have made sure there’s been a version of Mario Kart on every platform from the N64 and GBA through to the GC and DS…
    Nick, please can you state every platform from the N64 to GC and GBA to DS? And, of course, their respective Mario Kart versions. Its just, I'm sure you're talking utter rubbish.

SiM
    Thanks
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB PC2-6400 OCZ ReaperX + Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 320gb HD322HJ single platter in Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC

Quote Originally Posted by McEwin View Post
    Nick, please can you state every platform from the N64 to GC and GBA to DS? And, of course, their respective Mario Kart versions. Its just, I'm sure you're talking utter rubbish.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

Not forgetting that on the N64 you also had Diddy Kong racing, very much a variation of the Mario Kart series. I distinctly remember racing a bull uphill at somepoint on that one which was pretty tough!

Will be getting Mario Kart Wii in a few weeks time, need to get at least 1 other controller and nunchuck first though so me and the kids can play head to head on it!

Thanks

Lol, in what way am I talking rubbish... I often do talk rubbish, as that's how opinions are often perceived, which is fine... but what rubbish in particular am I talking now?

By the way, the only Mario Kart I don't own is the N64 version... I skipped that console entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks

"every platform from [N64] through to [GC]" ... there are no platforms between these consoles, and likewise between GBA and DS. I guess you could say that technically the statements correct because of the zero platforms from N64 through to GC, there's a version. But it is kind of meaningless... no?

It's good to be bad pauldarkside's Avatar
    Thanks
    • pauldarkside's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VI Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4770K & Corsair Hydro H80i
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Corsair Force GS 128GB, Crucial M500 480GB, WD Black 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Professional HX850W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 780T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity @ 78Mbps

"every platform from [N64] through to [GC]" ... there are no platforms between these consoles, and likewise between GBA and DS. I guess you could say that technically the statements correct because of the zero platforms from N64 through to GC, there's a version. But it is kind of meaningless... no?
    I have to say I agree with that - it's like saying our alphabet has letters from A to B and C to D; there are no letters between A and B, etc

PS: Great review though and I'm looking forwards to trying it for myself. I'll be getting the version without the wheel though - don't see the point in paying out extra for that bit of plastic when it doesn't add anything to the gameplay.
    Last edited by pauldarkside; 19-04-2008 at 04:45 PM.
    My only concern is should I hide my true identity? A costume maybe?

0iD: Plus weeing in it every now & again does it good
    scaryjim: 10" is just a little large to hold comfortably in one hand, which makes it a lot harder to tap, swipe and generally interact with.

Thanks

Ohoooh k...

Pedant time:

I'll concede there wasn't anything significant between the N64 and the GC, but you're wrong about the GBA and the DS... and yes, that's splitting hairs but hey, arguing moot points is what the 'net is for...

ps, the answer is the GBSP, but then, if we're talking about the DS Lite, the timeline would've been GB, GBSP, DS, GB Micro, DS Lite...

And you want to be really picky, how about the N64DD... which came between the N64 and the GC?
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Ohoooh k...

Pedant time:

I'll concede there wasn't anything significant between the N64 and the GC, but you're wrong about the GBA and the DS... and yes, that's splitting hairs but hey, arguing moot points is what the 'net is for...

ps, the answer is the GBSP, but then, if we're talking about the DS Lite, the timeline would've been GB, GBSP, DS, GB Micro, DS Lite...

And you want to be really picky, how about the N64DD... which came between the N64 and the GC?
    Haha, okay okay, but there wasn't a "version" of Mario Kart for these... i.e. "Mario Kart DS Lite" ... so it still doesn't fit! I do agree, however, that this is a pointless discussion, sorry Nick.

Anyway, I'm finding the game a bit of a nightmare, and find myself constantly shouting expletives at the screen and "frisbeeing" the wheel across the room...

Thanks

Lol, nah dude, it's fine.. If you can't criticise the critic, where would we be, eh?

And yes, Mario Kart is frustrating in places huh? I bet you were running in first place and got blue shelled, followed up by a red shell or a POW block.... and went from 1st to 8th in seconds, yeah?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Lol, nah dude, it's fine.. If you can't criticise the critic, where would we be, eh?

And yes, Mario Kart is frustrating in places huh? I bet you were running in first place and got blue shelled, followed up by a red shell or a POW block.... and went from 1st to 8th in seconds, yeah?
    Exactly, I do 2 perfect laps, way out in front and then Bam-bam-bam..... bam and its all over - such a shame.

I started using the Gamecube controller last night as you suggested and it does make a massive difference to the precision of the driving - which in the Wii scheme of things is a real shame - but it has improved the gameplay. I'm yet to get cracking with multiplayer (was hoping to master single-player first) but by the sound of things the sooner the better.

Thanks

You'll love it online or with friends in the same room but I reckon you're not far from finding out you've done all you can in single player...

I'd completed all the cups and cc classes in two days, and that was in no way exclusively just playing MK all the time. Sure, I only managed a silver and bronze in the last two cups but with no 'retry' option for Grand Prix races, I wasn't about to restart the whole Grand Prix on a track I've already raced a bazillion times just in case I might get a higher placing...

Thanks

I doubt I'll play single player again. I completed 50CC and half of the bikes and then just thought there was no point carrying on.

Online is where it's at.

By the way, anyone know why tracks are sometimes reversed online?

Thanks
    • JimNastics's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb
      • Storage:
      • About 750gb me thinks...
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA ACS3 8800GTS
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2005FPW
      • Internet:
      • IDNet 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by Steven W View Post
    I doubt I'll play single player again. I completed 50CC and half of the bikes and then just thought there was no point carrying on.

Online is where it's at.

By the way, anyone know why tracks are sometimes reversed online?
    The speed (50cc, 100cc, 150cc and mirror) of the races online is determined by the average points score of the players in the group... so if you're in a group with lots of high score players (7000+ I guess), you'll end up playing mirror class. A few days back I was in a high scoring group who all kept choosing SNES Ghost Valley 3, which in mirror class online against good players is not that funny

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ferral View Post
    Not forgetting that on the N64 you also had Diddy Kong racing, very much a variation of the Mario Kart series. I distinctly remember racing a bull uphill at somepoint on that one which was pretty tough!
    Diddy Kong Racing was so much better than Mario Kart 64. MK64 left me cold, so so easy and boring, but Diddy had me playing so much. Reviews at the time stated the same thing, better reviewed than MK64

Back on subject. I've decided that Nintendo have really screwed up MK after the crap that was MK GC. Having read a couple of mag reviews i've decided that i won't be wasting my money on this version.

Thread Information