Thread: Headlines - Videogames cited as possible trigger for Akihabara murder spree

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Headlines - Videogames cited as possible trigger for Akihabara murder spree

Japanese suggest that murderer may have been influenced by video games. Killer used knife similar to that in Dragon Quest.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Headlines - Videogames cited as possible trigger for Akihabara murder spree

I cannot but help feel angered by this - where yet again an unstable young person's actions are blamed because he/she plays too many computer games or views such stuff on the internet. Quite frankly, I think such a view is a load of bull; created by people who, quite obviously, have never played computer games for a significant amount of time in their life; and when they see such acts like this one mentioned they go for the easiest target, the Computer Games Industry.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that games have no influence at all (that would be foolhardy and wrong), but one should point out that the majority, nay, the overwhelming majority of people who play games realise that they are, above all, a work of fiction. A fake, with no real connections to the world. Now there are some who are obviously more impressionable than others, and indeed I imagine that young man is one of these people; but using him as an example to show that Computer Games induce violence and antisocial behaviour is biased and above all ignorant.

I may as well counter this anti-games lobby with something much more tangible and dangerous. Alcoholism - which, I might add, is far more damaging than Manhunt or Dragon Quest, will ever be. That being said I don't think I should bar people from drinking it, as the majority of people I'm sure are sensible around it (some less than others).

Thanks

If the people behind such legislation really believed in it, then shouldn't they be worried about the millions of angry manic gamers who will be gunning for them?

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

They have it the wrong way around, people who are prone to sitting in their basement playing video games are also prone to psychotic episodes. The fact they play video games is a symptom, not a cause or trigger for their behaviour.

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

I've played violent games for years and years.

I'm going to stab you.

Obviously.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

awm
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
    They have it the wrong way around, people who are prone to sitting in their basement playing video games are also prone to psychotic episodes. The fact they play video games is a symptom, not a cause or trigger for their behaviour.
    Exactly. Now the question becomes did becoming politicians make them stupid, or were they stupid beforehand.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dangel View Post
    I've played violent games for years and years.

I'm going to stab you.

Obviously.
    When people quit when there's a few minutes to go on FIFA or UEFA and I'm winning, that makes me mad. If those people were in front of me, I'd knock the living daylights out of them; and that's not even a violent game. Well actually, I probably wouldn't, I'd probably just ask them why they quit.

It's all to do with the person. Something will trigger their anger and 'evil' at some point. I think it's mockery of the whole case that they have even made the suggestion that his knife looked like the one in Dragon Quest. Absolutely ridiculous.

P.S I wonder what the knife does look like in Dragon Quest?

Thanks
    • CrazyMonkey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M4N98TD Evo
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4.1ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 Dominator @ 1700mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB OCZ Vertex 2E - 1TB Hitatchi
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x 460 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02R-WRI Ltd.Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7, XP, Server2008 RC1, Gentoo
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer LED - 22" Belinea - 19" Samsung - 19" IIyama
      • Internet:
      • 50 MB Virgin Media Cable

It's all total rubbish. Think about it - How many people play Video Games and use the Internet? A huuuuuuge amount!

Now of course you will get a few nutters out there, regardless of video game and internet use. There has always been nutters and always will be.

If he was posting warnings on the internet about what he was going to do, surely the internet at an angle can help prevent things like this happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven W View Post
    I'd probably just ask them why they quit.
    I would probably point, laugh and call them a n00b ^^

Who the $%£# told you you could eat my cookies?! Oobie-'s Avatar
    Thanks

Starting slightly off topic:

When I watched a video on Jack Thompson on youtube, there was quite a good analogy in the comments section.
    It went something like:

"Oh wow, I play tony hawk all day, why haven't I learnt to skateboard like him"

It all boils down to:
    Govt.s fail, they look for a scapegoat. Simple as that.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks

There's enough unpleasant people around who've never touched a console or computer game in their life...

Thread Information