Thread: Headlines - Step back into the '80's with Wii

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Headlines - Step back into the '80's with Wii

Ready for download now via the Virtual Console, there's no less than five new retro titles this week, including SEGA MASTER SYSTEMS'S Alex Kidd.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

Re: Headlines - Step back into the '80's with Wii

Even better, first Last Ninja and now Last Ninja 2. Going to get some Wii points this aft and go retro methinks!

Last Ninja 2 is my all time favourite game, love the level where you are in the warehouse except for the bit where you have to jump over the crates, hopefully they will have taken that screen out as it was a pain!

Nebulus was really fun, working your way round and up the towers. Simple concept but highly addictive!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ferral View Post
    Even better, first Last Ninja and now Last Ninja 2. Going to get some Wii points this aft and go retro methinks!

Last Ninja 2 is my all time favourite game, love the level where you are in the warehouse except for the bit where you have to jump over the crates, hopefully they will have taken that screen out as it was a pain!

Nebulus was really fun, working your way round and up the towers. Simple concept but highly addictive!
    Never played the Last Ninja games. I've had 1000 points sitting in my account for some time, you think it's worth a punt then? Or is there anything better out there?

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

Last Ninja 2 was the best one out of the 3 games. Its like an isometric beat em up puzzler!

Just the locations and playability had me hooked from day one. Things like grab a key to unlock the gate and so on, old school type gaming really.

Good thing about these games also is that if you run out of lives on a specific level you don't have to start the game from scratch. You start again from the beginning of the level you are on.

Few places it can be infuriating though, crates on the warehouse level, jumping across moving boats on central park level come straight to mind. Sewer level can be quite awkward also, you have to pick which doors you go through, go through the wrong one and it is instant death. Kind of a trial by error thing, but rewarding nontheless. Or you can look at an faq for it to see what you are meant to be doing and where to go.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/c64/file/580778/10499

Forgot to mention, the music is absolutely awesome

5. Received thanks from:

Steven W (17-06-2008)

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

Little tip for anyone that has got either Last Ninja or Last Ninja 2, whether it is on an emulator or the Wii. When you start the game if you are having difficulty controlling the game due to the weird control system, hit the J key on your keyboard to change the controls.

There are 3 control modes, 2nd one I find easiest as you literally go in the direction you press the pad. To be able to change the control mode (Button 1 on the wiimote brings up the C64 keyboard) you have to be in the game playing, it doesn't work on the title screen. Hit J once to get what I find the easiest control system in the game.

Also a little survival tip on Last Ninja 2 first level. Head into each female toilet and do the collect move. In each toilet you collect the flushing chain. Once you have both of them you actually create the Nunchucks, very fast weapon that takes the foes down quickly. 2nd one is get the Shuriken (You only get 10 so save them for later in the game, final showdown they are a godsend), Once you have exited the bandstand and the gate is in front of you take a left and follow that exit. On the next screen kill the guard and do the collect move over the bin between the benches to get them.

Hamburger on the stand to the right of the bandstand screen can be collected to get an extra life.

Taking a left off the screen where you have the juggler will get you the staff and also map (Keep jumping to avoid his knives). You have to climb up the grate and jump across 2 gaps. When climbing down the grate you have to move backwards towards it to drop down onto it. You have to collect at least the key (Key is literally behind you when you drop down from upper level of bandstand) and staff to be able to complete the central park level. Bear in mind that if you don't collect the Nunchucks on the first level you will not get them anywhere else in the game.

After going through the gate time your jump to get across the first boat. If it doesn't feel right don't jump. Exit the screen and re enter to reset the screen as you have to hit the boat and jump across to the next shore whilst it is moving. If you let it stop you can't land on the shore on the other side.

Next screen has the bees on it. Top exit has a jump that you can't make yet but I suggest going onto that screen as a starting point for the next bit. You have to make it down the other path without the bees hitting you to much or you will die. Trick here is actually timing the jump so you hit the edge of the screen. If you jump straight out you will land in the water and die. So try to hit the left side of the screen as you jump to land on the island.

Once on the island equip your trusty staff and do the jab move on the boat and it will move away. This enables you to make the final jum to finish the level. Once again when leaving the island hit a screen edge to make it back across safe. Avoid the bees and you will now notice the next screen shows the boat moving from right to left. Once again watch it a few times to get a feeling for it by exiting and entering the screen. Make you final jump to complete central park.

Next level you can find your sword in the martial arts shop. A manhole tool can be found in a workers striped tent. Make sure you watch the traffic signals when crossing roads and also watch out for people throwing plant pots to the pavement.

Enjoy, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Just put that up from memory and playing LN2 a little earlier on after getting it on the Wii. Harder than what I remember and the jump on the bees screen took my final lives!

500 Wii points for this classic bit of gaming history is well worth it. Anyone that likes their 3rd person action adventure games should get this. Last Ninja 1 & 2 were some of the first 3D style games out there along with Head over Heels at the time. Classic gaming often overlooked, hopefully Nintendo will be able to get their hands on some of the other System 3 classics like IK+, Tusker, Dominator, Vendetta, Last Ninja 3 and also Ninja Remix (Redo of LN1 with slightly better visuals and different music) to name a few.

Hopefully we will also see some of the Activision arcade conversions like Ninja Spirit and Powerdrift.
    Last edited by Ferral; 17-06-2008 at 10:40 PM.

Thread Information