Thread: Features - Battle of the Intel Atom netbooks - which one's right for you?

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Features - Battle of the Intel Atom netbooks - which one's right for you?

Here's a netbook, there's a netbook, everywhere's a netbook. But which one's right for you?
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Features - Battle of the Intel Atom netbooks - which one's right for you?

Good review and links. Any Netbook over £300 imho is ott, and pushing into a full spec laptop domain. I am still to be convinced that any netbook is worth over £600.
    Deo Adjuvante non Timendum

Herr Doktor Oetker, ja!!! pollaxe's Avatar
    Thanks

Very useful read!

I'm currently in a Netbook dilemma. I have a shagged-out old Dell Inspiron 5000 as a spare laptop (which I was given for free) and I like that but I have been considering a Netbook as I do a lot of writing and the battery life in particular on the Dell is very poor. My other laptop is an HP Dragon so with a 20" screen battery life is comparable to the clunking old Dell (not that this is an issue as I didn't buy the HP to be a portable solution.)

If I were to get a Netbook my leaning has been towards the EEE PC 1000H. I would probably up it to 2 GB and maybe try for a 320 GB HD as replacements in there and it's this semi-flexibility in the upgrade path that's made me lean towards it which some of the others don't have. Plus, EEEs seem to have pretty good battery life. However, £350 for something that small is a lot of cash to stump out when - as noted above - you've got full(ish)-spec laptops for not much more. Yet I do like the idea of a dinky netbook... decisions, decisions....

PMM
    Thanks

Problem for me is... I dont want widescreen else I would buy one tomorrow

This has been a dilema for me of late trying to choose a laptop replacement for my old 1.2Ghz Centrino

An Atom CPU @ 1.6ghz seems to have the matching performance but I cant live with only 600 lines of screen height I dont need it to play dvds or windscreen HD content

My dream machine would be a 12" display 1024 x 768 dual core Atom with a Intel X-25M SSD and window XP.

Thanks

when are the via nano based netbooks coming out?

Thanks
    • iworrall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B350M TUF Gaming
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB C14 Team Group "Dark Pro"
      • Storage:
      • 512Gb Samsung 970 Evo NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX3080 FE
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 1KW
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 19.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator X34A
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Other sites state that the EeePC 904HD tested here is NOT Atom-driven, it uses the underclocked 900MHz Celeron from the 701 & 900. From what I read, that seems to be what the "D" in the model name means.

Ref:-
    http://www.amazon.com/904HD-Laptop-C.../dp/B001F0Q9I6
    http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.a...tno=571&pgno=0
    http://eeepc.net/asus-outs-the-eee-p...04hd-in-taiwan

Unfortunately, I cannot locate confirmation of this on Asus' site, as (at time of posting) it is "undergoing web maintainance".

7. Received thanks from:

Parm (20-09-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iworrall View Post
    Unfortunately, I cannot locate confirmation of this on Asus' site, as (at time of posting) it is "undergoing web maintainance".
    Confirmed.

9. Received thanks from:

Parm (20-09-2008)

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up chaps! The 904HD has been removed from the comparison, it isn't Atom-based.

Team HEXUS.net
    Thanks

The Medion Akoya Mini E1210 also seems to be a Wind clone. Available from Sainsbury's for £299.99.

Thanks
    • hibby's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Supermicro C7Z87-OCE
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4770
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance LP 1600MHz (9-9-9-24)
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 840 Pro; 120GB OCZ Vertex 3; 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ; 250GB Seagate 7200.10
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 7970 Vapor-X GHz
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2413; 24" Dell 2408WFP; 17" Dell 1704FPT
      • Internet:
      • Slow, rural broadband

I'm currently on my third Eee 901 (Linux), the first two having a weird issue with waking up from suspend (total freeze 10 secs after waking up). This one's about to go back too - the charging circuit is making funny noises. Not the best experience for only two weeks of netbook ownership, so this time I'm aiming for a refund.

One thing I do feel I have to add:
    Armed with a six-cell battery, it should provide reasonable battery life straight out of the box
    Not quite - it provides extraordinary battery life as standard. 7.5 hours of low intensity work (surfing the web, checking emails, listening to music, etc) or 4.5 hours at full whack, and all without making the Eee too heavy. When I do buy back into netbooks (and I will), this is going to be the benchmark I compare everything to.
    If you can't keep up, stick with reality...

Thanks

Looking at the chart they all all overpriced apart from the Acer which I don't like because of the trackpad buttons being on the side. The Toshiba one looks pretty good but I wouldn't put it past them to raise the price to £299 when it's released otherwise I may buy one.

Thanks

Not a direct response to the review, as the Aspire One in that uses a HDD, but I'm playing with one now, and the 8GB SSD is horrifically slow. I knew I'd have to strip Windows XP right down to get it decent on the AAO and Eee PC, but my God is this poor.

It must be the speed of the old 1GB drives that used to do the rounds in the early Win95 days. It's absolutely dire.

The 4GB one in the Eee PC 701 is far faster.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slypie View Post
    Looking at the chart they all all overpriced apart from the Acer which I don't like because of the trackpad buttons being on the side. The Toshiba one looks pretty good but I wouldn't put it past them to raise the price to £299 when it's released otherwise I may buy one.
    I have the acer and the trackpad is annoying, but by making the trackpad clickable it means I barely use the actual buttons.

For money vs spec. I think the hdd version of the acer is damn hard to beat.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by hexus
    However, thanks to the extra functionality, the M912 netbook will set you back some £425. It's just starting to make its way to UK shores, but the pricing, we feel, is far too high. At that cost, you can find cheaper, more powerful, full-sized notebooks.
    That's presumably the M912V (vista) or M912X (xp) right?

There's also meant to be a M912M which has an LCD backlit display (opposed to CCFL like the above two) with lower resolution (1024x600) and another $100 cheaper.

All Acer need to do is bring out the US version of the Aspire One (has a 6cell battery) and it'd be the pick of the bunch IMHO.

Thread Information