Thread: Articles - Wii Motion-plus : Better games on Wii, but when?

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Articles - Wii Motion-plus : Better games on Wii, but when?

Examining how Wii Motion-plus may affect the future of gaming on Wii.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Articles - Wii Motion-plus : Better games on Wii, but when?

I couldn't disagree more. There are dozens of over-simplified casual-type games for Wii that are easy to play, but fail to make use of the Wii Remote. Wii MotionPLus is surely going to challenge developers of these titles to get off their lazy asses and create games that actually deserve to grace the console. They're going to have to work harder.
    I couldn't disagree more. Why should the developers get off their lazy asses? The Wii Motion Plus is an add-on, an after thought, just another accessory that won't get used much. Yes Nintendo are going to bundle the Plus with a game, but why should people spend more money just to play a game? How much will it cost? What will it actually bring to a game? Lots of questions but no answers.

Nintendo have created a new breed of "gamers" with the Wii, the casual non-gamer who liked what could be done with Wii Sport or Wii Fit. But aren't true gamers. The simple games suit them down to the ground, give them Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime 3 and they would be lost. These are real games, not some sort of gimmick to sell a console.

Nintendo may not have got it right with their motion sensing, but for most people its good enough. Nintendo should concentrate on making games rather than annoying the market/developers with add ons that won't sell. Remember the 4mb memory module that was available for the N64. Never took off, then it had to be bundled with some games as they had to use the extra memory. Will this go the same way? Possibly.

Thanks

Good points!

The Wii Remote performs poorly on some games, namely the games aimed at the non-casual audience. The likes of PES, Call of Duty, the upcoming Tom Clancy games, first person shooters, driving games, will benefit no end from the improved motion-sensing and those developers who can be bothered to create a more immersive experience will utilise Wii MotionPlus.

There are so many games on Wii that make practically no use of the Wii Remote, other than the extreme basics, even though it's the motion-sensing that makes the console stand out from all others.

If smashing a tennis ball back and forward is your bag, then yep you're right, it works fine - some of the time. After the initial WOW factor, in hindsight, Wii Sports was rubbish. You'd punch in Boxing and it wouldn't register or you'd swing your tennis racket and the player would swing 2 seconds later.

Personally, I want to see more from Wii, what I've seen so far (apart from maybe 1/2 dozen games) has bored me to tears. As far as I'm concerned a better control scheme = better games. Whether Wii Motion PLus is better or not is another question. We'll just have to wait and see.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

I think its a bit dodgy that these addons won't be cheap, and will be required to play half the games properly if developers are made to target them and only them!
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • MSIC's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H170M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 6500
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SSD (boot) +1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GeForce 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W ST455F
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG06-450
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2309W
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet FiberTTC

Quote Originally Posted by beanbandit View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. Why should the developers get off their lazy asses? The Wii Motion Plus is an add-on, an after thought, just another accessory that won't get used much.
    I don't disagree with beanbandit's disagreement, of the original articles disagreement of the original statement...

What i'm trying to say is that although i consider myself a gamer and would quite happily plug an extra thing in before playing if i thought it would add value to my experience, the likes of my sister-in-law who only uses WiiFit or my mum playing Wii sports bowling once a year, any more complexity will be off-putting.

For the 'casual gaming' group, which the Wii addresses far more than the Xbox360 or PS3 does, we need more pick-up-and-play and less plugging in. Maybe a new, redesigned Wiimote with the new technology built in? I have a Wiimote charging stand, and this extra thing would prevent it from being charged (unless i pull it out, store it somewhere, then later fetch it out, re-plug it back in each time...).
    I'm commenting on an internet forum. Your facts hold no sway over me.
    - Another poster, from another forum.

System as shown, plus: Microsoft Wireless mobile 4000 mouse and Logitech Illuminated keyboard.
    Sennheiser RS160 wireless headphones. Creative Gigaworks T40 SII. My wife.
    My Hexus Trust

Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Salazaar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450m Steel Legend
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT

Too little too late for me I'm afraid. I've had a Wii since it first came out and frankly I'm bored of it, all it does is gather dust right now so I'm selling it on.

This new addon sounds quite nice but it's just that, an addon. At best it'll be an interesting curiosity, utilised by a handful of games (like lightguns).
    ____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

What they should do is incorporate this new Wii-Motion plus thing into the controllers out of the factory so if you buy a new Wii you get the newer revision controllers, anyone else can buy it as a plug in upgrade.

The problem is the games, there arent enough casual non-gamer games out there, there should be simple fishing games, or kite flying games, things that take the simplicity fo the Wii and lack of presise control and use it...

IMHO the Wii is a social console, not an actual gaming console and it shouldnt try to be either...

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

I've enjoyed the light gun style pointing rather than the waving your arm side of the Wii. Resident Evil 4 just kicks booty with the use of the control system, the flick of the remote to reload works really well. Waving the remote around for 'stabby stabby' action is a little bit weak but does add a bit of variety to it.

Thread Information