Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Apple refreshes MacBook and Mac Mini, introduces multitouch mouse

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Apple refreshes MacBook and Mac Mini, introduces multitouch mouse

New launches to take limelight away from Windows 7?
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

Re: News - Apple refreshes MacBook and Mac Mini, introduces multitouch mouse

Nothing impressive really except the mouse. Would like to have a go at it to see how well it performs.

Thanks
    • Lowe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 4690K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 256GB and 1TB spindle drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit Geforce GTX1080 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 600w
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Silencio 352 m-ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7/Mac OSX
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1080p AOC, Oculus Rift CV1
      • Internet:
      • 200mb Virgin VIVID

That mouse does look great. Tempted to see if work will get one for 'testing'

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Still no HD optical drive?.. You'd think for the money they'd be offering bleeding edge tech.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

I seem to remember that this is because of BluRay licensing issues?

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    I seem to remember that this is because of BluRay licensing issues?
    Thats bull because they export to Blu-Ray in their Final Cut Studio program. So they would have to have some kind of license to be able to do that.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • inter8ection's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55-GD65
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 860 @ 3.8Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Corsair Extreme X128 SSD, 2x1TB Samsung F3 RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB XFX ATI Radeon 5870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550W
      • Case:
      • Scan 3XS Coolermaster Cosmos
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Dell 2707W
      • Internet:
      • Be 24Mb/s

£1349 for a 27" LED display with a resolution of 2560x1440, and it is almost worth it just for the display alone

Couple this with "27-inch models also support input from external DisplayPort sources" and an ATI 5870 with display port, and it makes a very tempting prospect as a PC gaming display

I haven't been able to track down the exact adapter they mention is sold separately as there are several combinations sold

[EDIT] Found this cable
    http://estore.circuitassembly.com/pr...ter-Cable.html
    Last edited by inter8ection; 21-10-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Thanks
    • chrism's system
      • CPU:
      • Pentium M 770
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2GB PC3200
      • Storage:
      • Samsung HD501LJ
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 9600GT 512MB
      • Case:
      • Shuttle SD11G5
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung XL20

The multi-touch mouse sounds like a neat innovation, I'll check it out at the Apple Store next time I'm passing.
    The new unibody MacBook also makes it a little more tempting than the equivalent 13" MacBook Pro, in so much as matches the latter's specs, then one-ups it with a larger hard drive and a cheaper price tag. I do like the subtle changes to the design, with the more rounded edges - but I think I'll hold out for USB 3.0 (and perhaps wireless n someday) before I upgrade.

Thanks

Tried the mouse. It's as dire as it looks. Anything but smooth scrolling, sharp edges, where the Mighty Mouse had rounded ones and too flat for protracted use. About the only improvement over its predecessor is that right clicks no longer require finger ballet to accomplish.
    The new white Macbook not only loses firewire but is a fingerprint magnet. Somebody needs to wallop that design team around its collective heads with a 4 by 2.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inter8ection View Post
    £1349 for a 27" LED display with a resolution of 2560x1440, and it is almost worth it just for the display alone

Couple this with "27-inch models also support input from external DisplayPort sources" and an ATI 5870 with display port, and it makes a very tempting prospect as a PC gaming display

I haven't been able to track down the exact adapter they mention is sold separately as there are several combinations sold

[EDIT] Found this cable
    http://estore.circuitassembly.com/pr...ter-Cable.html
    It's £1600 here, the £1349 was a conversion of the American price.

edit - sorry I'm wrong and I was looking at the i5 750 version, there is a dual core version for £1350 sorry.
    Last edited by Noggin; 22-10-2009 at 09:34 AM.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    The multi-touch mouse sounds like a neat innovation, I'll check it out at the Apple Store next time I'm passing.
    The new unibody MacBook also makes it a little more tempting than the equivalent 13" MacBook Pro, in so much as matches the latter's specs, then one-ups it with a larger hard drive and a cheaper price tag. I do like the subtle changes to the design, with the more rounded edges - but I think I'll hold out for USB 3.0 (and perhaps wireless n someday) before I upgrade.
    Part of me thinks hmm, nice idea.

Then I think what the hell are they thinking, this will be more of a joke than the mighty mouse, bet it has hudge issues with anyone who rests their fingers on the touch area.

Given that I'm used to very high sensitive mice, a requirement for many high res monitor navigation without causing major RSI for me. I'd imagine that I'd want a very sensitive setting for the gesture, and I think that would create issues with resting fingers.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

unapologetic apologist
    Thanks

apple has gone and shot themselves in the foot, AGAIN. No more firewire port - lol. And apple's are supposed to be so media friendly?

Larry Jordan has just posted a big rant on his blog about this very issue - crucial for media producers.

Peeved at Apple, Again… Posted by Larry on October 21, 2009

This morning Apple announced a plethora of new hardware, some of which looks pretty interesting — as long as you aren’t interested in editing video.

You see, Apple removed the FireWire port from the MacBook - again. A few iterations ago, FireWire was in. Then, they took it out. Hue and cry ensued. They put it back. Now, it’s gone again.

The only interfaces that remain for moving data between the computer and an external drive is USB2, Airport, or Ethernet .

The problem with USB2 is that it is too slow - roughly half the speed of FireWire 400.

The problem with Airport is that it is slower than USB2.

The problem with Ethernet is that there is no way to connect a FireWire device via the Ethernet port. And that’s assuming you are willing to give up a high-speed connection to your server, in order to attach a separate hard drive.

Yes, you can use your Ethernet port to connect an iSCSI device - provided you have a device that supports it. However, you can’t convert between FireWire and iSCSI. Or eSATA. Or PCIe. In other words, your data is trapped on your hard disks and can’t get off. Not on these MacBooks.

If Apple had replaced FireWire with some new high-performance port that we could connect peripherals to, I could understand. But to remove a critical high-performance port and replace it with nothing is just STUPID!

I realize that FireWire is not the fastest interface out there. eSATA, PCIe, iSCSI, and FibreChannel are all faster. However, the MacBook has never had an ExpressCard/34 slot, so that rules out eSATA, PCIe, and FibreChannel. And I know of only one iSCSI storage device currently shipping - the DroboPro. A great unit, but hardly as affordable as a stand-alone hard drive.

Granted, the vast Macintosh public may not need to connect external devices. (I’m sure no one really needs to back up their data to anything but a slow hard drive.) But media professionals do - whether working with audio or video. Media remains a core part of the Macintosh market.

According to Apple’s financial report, earlier this week, for every desktop Apple sells, they sell three laptops. However, what bothers me about today’s announcement is that increasingly, it is becoming very, very difficult to use any of Apple’s laptops to do what Macintosh systems do best - easily work with massive media files.

We had this conversation earlier this year, when the MacBook Pros were updated - and FireWire disappeared. Now, it’s disappeared from the MacBooks. At this rate, it will disappear in the next iteration of iMacs! Not all of us want to wait while our media backs up to a Time Capsule. Nor do we want to attempt to edit HD video while connected to a USB2 drive.

Apple can do better - without jeopardizing form factor or profits.

They just need to care.

Larry

P.S. You can send feedback to Apple on this issue at:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbook.html

Complaining won’t fix anything in the current releases - but, perhaps, they will give this consideration in the future.
    One can never stop saying Thank You

Technojunkie
    Thanks

Why can't apple just stick a proper VGA or DVI port on their laptops?
    You have to buy an extra flimsy adaptor just to use a monitor with them,
    (that's right - they don't include it with the laptop!)

and this even on a macbook "pro" laptop

Thanks
    • laywill's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Crosshair II Formula
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II 940 OverClocked -> 3516MHz
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 2GB Crucial DDR2 800MHz @ 1066MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x Inno3D 9800GTX+ 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650M
      • Case:
      • Maplins Tri-Dial (ATX)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 206WTQ (1680x1050)
      • Internet:
      • 8Mbps TalkTalk

First of all, I would just like to summarise my attitude to the mouse:
    And the new macbook:

And now onto the subject of Display Ports:

The lack of provision for display port adapters is annoying, however I personally think that we should move totally to HDMI and Display Port as the only connectivity means.

I say this becasue HDMI carries HD video with surround sound audio, or Display port can be converted to carry video only along any sort of cable you like e.g. Cat5e, VGA, DVI etc.

Also, with the power available from even a mid range graphics card they could comfortably drive 6 monitors each if you just wanted more desktop real estate for working. However, because we still focuson VGA and DVI, you struggle to fit more than 2 ports in each expansion slot. Wheras you can fit a whole load more Display Ports.

I know a couple of web designers who end up having to run 2 or more low - mid range graphics cards in SLI or CrossFire to provide enough ports for their multitude of moitors - needed so that they can have one for the final view of a webpage, the page of code, the folders of files, sometimes a back end admin page etc.

Laptops are obviously slightly different to Desktops in that you are not neccessarily looking to connect so many external monitors, however I do still think that Display Port is the way forward for the reasons stated above. Even if all it does is free up some space on the sides of the laptop to allow for a cleaner look or more USB ports, its all good!

Display Port: The Way Forward

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought the available bandwidth on display port was still rather limiting, not enough for two high res monitors? Or do you mean you can fit more display ports in?
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • laywill's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Crosshair II Formula
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II 940 OverClocked -> 3516MHz
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 2GB Crucial DDR2 800MHz @ 1066MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x Inno3D 9800GTX+ 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650M
      • Case:
      • Maplins Tri-Dial (ATX)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 206WTQ (1680x1050)
      • Internet:
      • 8Mbps TalkTalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    I thought the available bandwidth on display port was still rather limiting, not enough for two high res monitors? Or do you mean you can fit more display ports in?
    I don't know much about the bandwidth of display port - but as far as I am aware it is basically the same signal as DVI / HDMI video but with a smaller connector.

Also, you can indeed fit a whole load more Display Ports on the back of a card than you can fit other connectors in the same space.

I hope that clears any problems up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information