Thread: News - Danamics LMX breathes new life into liquid-metal CPU coolers

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Danamics LMX breathes new life into liquid-metal CPU coolers

Successor to last year's pricey LM10 promises to make liquid-metal cooling more affordable.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Main's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock 939 Dual sata-2
      • CPU:
      • A64 X2 4200 @ 2.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2Gb Corsair XMS DDR400 2-3-3-6
      • Storage:
      • Various discs all over the place
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Antec NeoHE 550W
      • Case:
      • Antec P160
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 RC
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ FP241W
      • Internet:
      • BT "up to 8mbit" @ ~7mbit

Re: News - Danamics LMX breathes new life into liquid-metal CPU coolers

Danamics mk2 eh, it certainly looks more refined than the first one.

You aiming to get one into the lab? It would certainly be interesting to see if it does any better than the Corsair H50, and that wasn't even around when they first tried to bring their liquid metal cooler to the market.

Registered+
    Thanks

If I remember right the reason these didn't sell isn't solely down to the ludicrous pricetag but more to do with the performance, while Danamics claimed it was more efficient than 'water cooling' all real world reviews showed performed reasonably close to Thermalrights Ultra120 and other air-coolers that cost less than half as much, demonstrating that heatpipe technology is a far cheaper and more elegant solution.

I don't believe the liquid metal cooling technology is ever going to be either as efficient or cost effective in a stand alone format as conventional coolers, maybe a chassis incorporating it to cool the major components but not a HSF.
    Last edited by JCBeastie; 27-10-2009 at 02:16 AM.
    Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you're bound to get pissed off!

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by JCBeastie View Post
    I don't believe the liquid metal cooling technology is ever going to be either as efficient or cost effective in a stand alone format as conventional coolers, maybe a chassis incorporating it to cool the major components but not a HSF.
    I wouldn't say it is that cut and dry. This is only the second iteration of the product, I would expect performance to increase with each release. Regular heat pipe coolers have been around for years now, with many design improvements and changes along the way, increasing performance at the same time. I would expect the same from liquid metal solutions, especially if other manufacturers introduce their own variations.

If only Dynamics have products like this then obviously their competitors don't see the technology having any traction.... or they have it tied up very tightly with patents.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    I wouldn't say it is that cut and dry. This is only the second iteration of the product, I would expect performance to increase with each release. Regular heat pipe coolers have been around for years now, with many design improvements and changes along the way, increasing performance at the same time. I would expect the same from liquid metal solutions, especially if other manufacturers introduce their own variations.

If only Dynamics have products like this then obviously their competitors don't see the technology having any traction.... or they have it tied up very tightly with patents.
    I'm not just making arbitrary proclimations, the issue is that the form-factor is ultimately limited by surface area, it doesn't matter if the liquid metal is more efficient at moving heat from the CPU at the end of the day it's still aluminium/copper fins that are dumping that heat into the air, and that'll happen at the same rate as an equivalent heatpipe tower which is cheaper to manufacture. Exactly the same reason why tower type water-cooler units failed.
    Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you're bound to get pissed off!

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

I'm not just making arbitrary proclimations, the issue is that the form-factor is ultimately limited by surface area, it doesn't matter if the liquid metal is more efficient at moving heat from the CPU at the end of the day it's still aluminium/copper fins that are dumping that heat into the air, and that'll happen at the same rate as an equivalent heatpipe tower which is cheaper to manufacture. Exactly the same reason why tower type water-cooler units failed.
    That's actually a really good point, something I hadn't considered either

If that is the case, then however clever this technology is, it is ultimately pointless.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Isn't that assuming that the fins are already disipatting heat as fast as they possibly can?

I have no idea if modern heatsinks are pushing the fins to their limits or not.....if they aren't, then getting the heat to them faster would be advantageous.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Main's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock 939 Dual sata-2
      • CPU:
      • A64 X2 4200 @ 2.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2Gb Corsair XMS DDR400 2-3-3-6
      • Storage:
      • Various discs all over the place
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Antec NeoHE 550W
      • Case:
      • Antec P160
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 RC
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ FP241W
      • Internet:
      • BT "up to 8mbit" @ ~7mbit

I'm not just making arbitrary proclimations,
    Sorry, but you are
    the issue is that the form-factor is ultimately limited by surface area, it doesn't matter if the liquid metal is more efficient at moving heat from the CPU at the end of the day it's still aluminium/copper fins that are dumping that heat into the air,
    Ummmm, no, it does matter. It matters a great deal. Surface area is only one part of heat transfer.

If the means of shifting heat from the chip to the fin-stack is good enough then you can do a better job with the same, or even with less surface area. The Sapphire 3870 Atomic/Toxic, with it's single-slot vapour-chamber cooler which beats larger coolers for performance is an example of that. If you can do better with less area, you have the possibility of making a cheaper cooler because you use less metal, even if the core technology is more expensive. In fact vapour chambers are being used on the 5770's stock heatsink. That's high-end novelty to stock cooler in a few years, not bad for a new technology.

Another problem is you're assuming the technology isn't going to mature. Heatpipes were nothing but a gimick when they first appeared on PC coolers. I know this because I had one of the first ones, and it was crap. Liquid metal cooling may not have had a successful application in the PC cooling market yet but that doesn't mean there isn't potential for it to be. It's quite possible there are already solutions to similar problems out there in obscure industrial/military applications that aren't far from what we have here. Danamics could easily be a commercial venture for a company that makes such things.

Heatpipes themselves also have operating limitations, in that the amount of heat they can shift is dictated by the temperature heat source and heat sink ends are at. Both this cooler and water coolers use a pump to move the heat transfer medium at a rate independent of the operating temperature and so performance can be increased simply by improving the pump. In fact, performance increases were seen in reviews of the original Danamics cooler when more power was supplied to the pump. I wouldn't be suprised if this new cooler beat everything out there, but if it did, yes it would still be a case of whether the performance would be worth the cost.
    ...and that'll happen at the same rate as an equivalent heatpipe tower which is cheaper to manufacture.
    Yeah, but the rate at which a cooler shifts heat is not what is used to measure a cooler's performance because that rate is fixed by the chip being cooled. If a chip produces 150W at full load, then, assuming all that heat is dumped by the cooler, any cooler attached to it, regardless of design, will dump that amount of heat (assuming the operating temperature is below the chip's thermal cut off). The performance is judged by the temperature the chip must run at for the cooler to do its job.
    Exactly the same reason why tower type water-cooler units failed.
    If they failed because a cheaper cooler can shift the same heat load, then everybody would be using stock coolers because they're cheapest.......

But yeah, I get what you meant to say, that combined water coolers failed becasue they didn't give enough perfromance to justify the price, and that could quite easily happen here. Again.

Thanks

Would also like to see a review.HEXUS @ some point. Hexus' reviews are typically excellent, so I'll be looking forward to it...

Baius
    Tech: NAS | D2 | L1 | N1 | T2 | U1 | P3

0iD@TWDJT: P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
    S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

Thanks

Well , already the LM10 kept my 125w 9850 Phenom at 27ºC under heavy load. Never seen more then 34ºc with it at all - so the new one sounds promising anyway

Thread Information