Thread: News - AMD's Leslie Sobon blasts Intel's marketing

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - AMD's Leslie Sobon blasts Intel's marketing

AMD's VP of product marketing says Intel still markets "like it's 1995" and confuses customers with techno babble about processors.
    Read more.

Now with added Ruffus Dog Tattysnuc's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Tattysnuc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus 570X Strix F
      • CPU:
      • 3900X @ Stock
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb Rysen C18 Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x 1TB nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2080 ti under Bykski water
      • PSU:
      • eVGA 850W
      • Case:
      • TT Core 5
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Lg 43"
      • Internet:
      • Utility Warehouse

Re: News - AMD's Leslie Sobon blasts Intel's marketing

Quote Originally Posted by HEXUS View Post
    All very well saying this, but at least Intel actually market their products. I don't remember EVER seeing an AMD advert on the TV or listening to one on the radio.

Come to think of it, I haven't bought an AMD processor since the very excellent 4200 X2 came out - why? with their 2 or 3 socket changes (754, 939, AM, AM2, AM3 etc etc) later I still wouldn't be comfortable blowing 300-400 GBP on a new rig base and feel confident that the boards do everyhting I want.

How about actually doing something positive AMD? Like coming up with a BETTER naming convention and advertising campaign. I seem to remember that it was AMD that first moved to model numbers and not frequency related model numbers. Thye just took your idea and ran with it...

I do agree with her in part though. The core range with it's crossover between i5 and i7 is somewhat daft.

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

The thing I've found that is confusing customers the most at the moment is the i5 and i7 range on LGA1156.

I've had numerous requests for people to use LGA1366 CPU on a LGA1156 motherboard and the other way around because they've seen that the i7 860 is LGA1156 and expect the i7 920 to fit when it doesn't.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Tattysnuc View Post
    All very well saying this, but at least Intel actually market their products. I don't remember EVER seeing an AMD advert on the TV or listening to one on the radio.

Come to think of it, I haven't bought an AMD processor since the very excellent 4200 X2 came out - why? with their 2 or 3 socket changes (754, 939, AM, AM2, AM3 etc etc) later I still wouldn't be comfortable blowing 300-400 GBP on a new rig base and feel confident that the boards do everyhting I want.

How about actually doing something positive AMD? Like coming up with a BETTER naming convention and advertising campaign. I seem to remember that it was AMD that first moved to model numbers and not frequency related model numbers. Thye just took your idea and ran with it...

I do agree with her in part though. The core range with it's crossover between i5 and i7 is somewhat daft.
    Intel have had 4 sockets in the last 5 years - socket 478,socket 775,socket 1156 and socket 1366. Also,earlier socket 775 motherboards were not compatible with the 65nm Core2 processors and this was again repeated with the 45nm Core2 processors too.

OTH,most AM2 motherboards will take AM2 and AM2+ processors and AM2+ motherboards will take AM2,AM2+ and AM3 processors.

Thanks

How many consumers are actually swayed by Intel advertising and in what way?

Intel adverts come across like shampoo ads to me - a collection of buzz words and brand names in a glossy set, that may trigger an 'I recognize that' response from punters catching a glimpse a sticker on a PC case, browsing around a PC store.

This probably works as Joe Public is more interested in buying an OEM box that handles facebook and itunes instead wondering about the internals.

Marketing is in its own world.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    OTH,most AM2 motherboards will take AM2 and AM2+ processors and AM2+ motherboards will take AM2,AM2+ and AM3 processors.
    Strictly speaking, all AM2 motherboards will take AM3 processors: but I doubt many non-AM2+ motherboards will get BIOS updates to recognise the new processors. What effect that will have is debatable, but I believe a couple of Hexusites have had issues with high-end Phenom II X4s running @ 800MHz constantly due to lack of BIOS support on a Gigabyte mobo.

AMD don't have the marketing budget Intel do, and frankly Intel's over-emphasis on processors in marketing has caused more headaches for consumers than it's solved: I can't count the number of times friends and customers of mine have complained about their computer being too slow, and it turning out to be because they had a 3GHz P4 with 256MB RAM. I fully agree with AMD that a) we need to change how computers are marketed, and b) that most retail staff don't have the technical knowledge to sell an unknowledgable consumer the right computer.

As to the i5 / i7 / 1156 / 1366 debate, I thought AMD had demonstrated back in about 2003 that trying to support two different sockets simultaneously didn't work - I can't understand why Intel are so desperate to make the same mistake

Registered+
    Thanks
    • SuGaR847's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 6GB OCZ Core i7 @ 1333 MHz
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25-M G2 160 GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Tagan PipeRock 900W
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster Cosmos Pure
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS VH226H

You wouldn't believe how many people are buying the new Intel mobile processors just for the "i7" preceding the model number. Intel's branding is confusing for a reason...

Thanks

lol shes not bitter at all

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

It's not even just the branding, the entire Intel processor line-up is horribly convoluted. Tried hunting for a laptop with VT-x support lately? Honestly, it's not pretty. One thing I like about AMD is whatever feature is current tech is in their current CPUs.

And let's not go near that i3/i5/i7 mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • itslate's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB... 4X 1GB Sticks
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Hitatchi, and 250GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia Geforce 8600GTS
      • PSU:
      • 700W X-Power
      • Case:
      • Steel generic case
      • Monitor(s):
      • DUAL VIEW - 22" widescreen lcds
      • Internet:
      • Wifi broadband & EOP 200mbps

On a mainstream retail level, there are an overwhelming number of customers looking specifically for Intel simply because they know of nothing else. AMD is a fading whisper of the past that sometimes pops it's old school head up, in the "20% or so" PC's or laptops that feature AMD platforms.

Now even though some customers want the flash and sparkly Intel sticker on their computer, they don't have the faintest idea what the difference is between a Celeron, Pentium, Core 2, or I5 or i7. It's all the same to the average mainstream retail customer, and a little confusing for them.

But the Intel sticker still prevails no matter what's inside, aslong as it's Intel, the majority of customers seem to feel happy sticking with what they "think they know".

On the Netbook front, if people pay £200-£300 for a netbook surely they should expect basic performance. I'm not trying to be sarcastic about this, but netbook's are built with basic tasks in mind. It doesn't take a computer whizz kid to figure out that £200 for a computer is not gonna get you very far.

Registered+
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: News - AMD's Leslie Sobon blasts Intel's marketing

Vision makes life easier for techsupport for family like many of use are, heck you can just tell your aunt to buy a Vision based laptop if she is only web surfing and listening to music or a Vision Ultimate if she needs (HD) video editing and heavy duty things, if she is a hardcore gamer (unlike many aunts) you should tell her she should get a Vision Black

if she wants to do something in between tell her to get Vision Premium

it will save you time to research the laptop specs, compare benchmarks etc, heck you will KNOW exacly what you aunt got, like you only need to bring ATI Catalyst to update video drivers if she has a problem and so on

btw all Vision uses ATi Radeon HD 3200 or faster graphics so you know you can game at 3 times the speed compared to Intel latest Intergrated Craptstics GMA X4500? and you will also know that the graphics can decode Blu-Ray fully in hardware with no problems

lets hope the OEMs wont **** this up as they did with a 4870 X2 or was it 4870 Crossfire laptop that had 1 year outdated drivers that was the OEMs restricted driver policy FAULT for not putting out a a DRIVER... on THEIR website

so AMD
    Last edited by wiak; 06-11-2009 at 11:31 AM.
    nwgat.wordpress.com

Thread Information