Thread: Reviews - Corsair Force F100 SSD - SandForce-powered performance

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Reviews - Corsair Force F100 SSD - SandForce-powered performance

Corsair attempts to woo the enterprise manager and hardcore enthusiast with the Force solid-state drive.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • borandi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 D0 (2.66Ghz) @ 4.1Ghz
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 3x1GB DDR3-1333Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung PB22-J 64GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x5850 in CF
      • PSU:
      • 800W
      • Case:
      • Verre V770
      • Operating System:
      • Windoze XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19"WS
      • Internet:
      • 8MB/448kbps up

Re: Reviews - Corsair Force F100 SSD - SandForce-powered performance

As the name suggests, it has a 100GB capacity that formats down to some 93GB in Windows.
    Surely:

As the name suggests, it has a 100GB capacity that formats to 93GiB in Windows.

Base 2 vs Base 10? Windows 7 I believe does make the distinction between GB and GiB.

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Thanks

a 100GB capacity that formats down to some 93GB in Windows.
    What do you mean by "formats down"? Corsair quotes the capacity of the drive in GB figures (10^9 * 100) whereas Windows in GiB (2^30 * 93) figures. Either way, the drive provides you with about 1 billion bytes of user addressable space. Formatting takes away space in the hundreds if not dozens of MB and nowhere near a gigabyte let alone 7!

Also I have no idea why this drive would be good for the enterprise space. It can't go in a (enterprise) server/SAN because of the lack of a SAS interface. The drive performs poorly in cases where compressed data is worked on because the SF controller relies on on-the-fly deduplication in order to achieve higher IOPS. AFAIK crystal mark's test data are random (non compressible) which would explain the poor performance. I have to assume that the drive performance would suffer with encrypted data which are normally completely random (assume because the incomplete, purely benchmark queen review didn't analyze or test for this). Encryption is becoming more and more prevalent in the enterprise.

So that's 2 scenarios that this drive just can't cut it in an enterprise (one client and one server side). You can't just say enterprise and be done with it, you need to test in an enterprise scenario context, i.e. can you actually tap into this performance, in say a server that a small to medium enterprise is likely to use, with a sata interface. Are there any downsides to using a consumer level half-duplex interface drive in an enterprise? Would this enterprise get support if they use a SATA drive (either from the manufacturer or their subcontractors)? I'm not being funny, these are genuine questions that I don't know the answer of but a review looking at a product's enterprise credentials should at least attempt to answer.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

I haven't read the review but this uses the 1200 controller (right ?) and so was never intended for the enterprise class, mainly, because its not as durable for enterprise as the 1500 drives although that still remains to be proven as well I guess.

Other than the fact its been brought down too 93G(i)B it was already brought down too 100GB from 128GB so the SF controller would work properly
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Sickorz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage II
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb DDR3 Corsair Domminator
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb OCZ Vertex SSD +1Tb F3+2Tb WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • POV 570GTX Beast Edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 900w 90%+
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-P80B Full Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" BenQ XL2420T 120Hz +Nvidia 3D Kit
      • Internet:
      • 24Mb ADSL

I agree this looks much more like an enthusiast drive rather then enterprise, although there are more tempting drives around for the enthusiast in this price range. The Crucial drive has more future proofing with sata6 and beats the corsair in many tests.. Not to forget OCZ new helpings on the horizon, looking forward to see some vertex 2 benches vs the competition!

Thanks

It seems as if Corsair is using an SF-1500-like firmware on the F100.
    If the version you are running is 3.01, then by Anand's account, you are running an SF-1500 firmware (http://www.anandtech.com/show/3661/u...es-are-equal/2).
    One thing I find puzzling though, is the difference in the 4K Random write performance of the C300 on Hexus vs Anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/show/3681/o...200-reviewed/6 - BTW, to Sickorz, that's a review of the Vertex 2 if you are interested).

Thread Information