Thread: News - Game-friendly Sony Ericsson/PlayStation phone rumoured

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Game-friendly Sony Ericsson/PlayStation phone rumoured

Android set to become gaming os of choice with PlayStation hardware and 3D games tipped for smartphones.
    Read more.

Technojunkie
    Thanks

Re: News - Game-friendly Sony Ericsson/PlayStation phone rumoured

Great news for android, they have the hardware, just need the major game developers on board.

Say what you will about the iphone, it does have the best mobile games,
    but there's no reason they couldn't all exist on android.
    Chrome & Firefox addons for BBC News
    Follow me @twitter

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Oooh, I really don't like the idea of a "dedicated" phone/games machine - didn't Nokia try that already with the N-Gage which was, to be honest, less than successful!

Far better, imho, to encourage the big studios - PopCap etc to develop for 'droid. As to Sony, well how about making phones with great screens and long battery lives as surely that's the best way to get a "game phone". And if they want joysticks etc why not a separate dock/jacket/cradle that you can put an existing phone into?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerr View Post
    Say what you will about the iphone, it does have the best mobile games, but there's no reason they couldn't all exist on android.
    Hmm, according to the gen on the developer sites that was one of the reasons that the Apple Stasi were nixing all other development tools other than ObjectiveC - in an effort to stop cross-platform developments.
    But you're right - when we start seeing stuff coming out on the GMP at the same time (or shortly after) it hits iTunes then I'll know that Android has "arrived".

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Oooh, I really don't like the idea of a "dedicated" phone/games machine - didn't Nokia try that already with the N-Gage which was, to be honest, less than successful!
    I think it would be nice to see an android phone that can provide enough battery power to be a serious contender as a smart phone ( 1 day serious use between charges is not brilliant ) before we think about them being contenders for serious portable game platforms.

Great for a quick gaming bash here and there, but not for long periods. The samsung galaxy S drains battery power quickly when running modern 3d graphics bench tests.

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband

And the iphones dont? they are even worse for battery life. You cant play a game more than an hour before your on red with your battery.

Iphones are just as bad yet no one moans about it because its an "apple" product. Same reason why its ok for your signal to drop if you hold the phone incorrectly LOL

Registered+
    Thanks

It won't succeed because this phone does not have a dedicated gpu. I doubt it will be powerful to sustain the required fps.

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Quote Originally Posted by Astridax93 View Post
    It won't succeed because this phone does not have a dedicated gpu. I doubt it will be powerful to sustain the required fps.
    Lets face it, Sony don't make good phones anymore. None of their current Android phones are any good compared to the current market.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

true, but it didn't do anything well. "Side talking" anyone? That was obviously design by committee. Nokia also didn't have a decent game distribution platform to use, the Android Marketplace solves that problem.

Where is your source for this? Who's to say it won't have a decent GPU, I know SE haven't exactly been on the ball when it comes to handsets recently, but if they are stupid enough to launch a gaming centric phone without a decent GPU then they deserve to loose all market share.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster0101 View Post
    Lets face it, Sony don't make good phones anymore. None of their current Android phones are any good compared to the current market.
    If that's the case, then care to explain why - according to http://channel.hexus.net/content/ite...m=25895&page=2 - that SonyEricsson are fifth in terms of market share, beating both Motorola and Apple.

Okay, they might not float your boat, but there's obviously a lot of folks out there (me included) for which the SE phones are fine. Of course, I reserve the right to diss them just as quickly if they don't deliver on the 2.1 and 2.2 upgrades in a reasonable timeframe. Plus I'm no Sony fanboi - I'll readily admit that the HTC's and Nexus One's get the updates quicker and run faster/smoother, and that the Galaxy S has the best screen. That said I liked the design of my X10 best, it had the best quoted battery life, and the camera's good - which suits me.

Kudos to SE for daring to think different, but personally I'd prefer to see a phone with an (optional) big battery, (optional) game controller plugin and graphics accelerator. Especially if it turns up around the time my contract expires...

Bob

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • danroyle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • N/A
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 4720HQ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD +1tb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce Gtx960m
      • PSU:
      • N/A
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • WINDOWS 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15.6" IPS
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

If that's the case, then care to explain why - according to http://channel.hexus.net/content/ite...m=25895&page=2 - that SonyEricsson are fifth in terms of market share, beating both Motorola and Apple.

Okay, they might not float your boat, but there's obviously a lot of folks out there (me included) for which the SE phones are fine. Of course, I reserve the right to diss them just as quickly if they don't deliver on the 2.1 and 2.2 upgrades in a reasonable timeframe. Plus I'm no Sony fanboi - I'll readily admit that the HTC's and Nexus One's get the updates quicker and run faster/smoother, and that the Galaxy S has the best screen. That said I liked the design of my X10 best, it had the best quoted battery life, and the camera's good - which suits me.

Kudos to SE for daring to think different, but personally I'd prefer to see a phone with an (optional) big battery, (optional) game controller plugin and graphics accelerator. Especially if it turns up around the time my contract expires...

Bob
    sorry to junp in thread with a different question but whats the battery like on your X10 cos mine wont hit 2 full days before it needs charge about 30 hours max with minimal use. Other than that i have to agreee sony phones aren't totally awful i know loads of people that use them,

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by danroyle View Post
    sorry to junp in thread with a different question but whats the battery like on your X10 cos mine wont hit 2 full days before it needs charge about 30 hours max with minimal use.
    That's the weird thing - when I first got the phone, the battery life was pretty poor - as in noticeably worse than the Nokia N95 it replaced. But recently, the battery life's gone way up. I can certainly get two days now, doing the odd mail check and using Twitter mainly over WiFi. So what's changed? Well, I turned off Bluetooth and GPS (except when I need them of course), I use WiFi when I'm in the house (but that's more to do with not wanting to use up my valuable data allowance). I make good use of Advanced Task Killer, and I applied the firmware update that Three sent out recently (R2BA020).
    As as example, the phone's sitting here - it was last charged nearly two days ago and it's claiming that there's 21% battery left. In the meantime, I've done a couple of tweets and done some mail over 3G. The battery wasn't full when it came off charge - I put the phone on a car charger because I was using CoPilot then Google Maps and I know that satnav apps really do the battery in otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by danroyle View Post
    Other than that i have to agreee sony phones aren't totally awful i know loads of people that use them,
    Hmm, I've kind of grown into my X10 - at first I found it real annoying in parts, now I flick around with the best of them. The only thing that I really miss about my old N95 is MP3 ringtones - with the N95 I could have one for each contact ( ) whereas the X10 only allows one MP3 ringtone, although you can set a contact to use one of the (not that good) bundled ringtones.
    I've even had a quick look on Market Place to see if there's an app which'd let me do this.

Second thing I'm going to change soon is to strip out some of the 'crap' that's on there - like the Moxier apps (which seem to suck a bit of juice and launch in the background when they feel like) - but I don't want to do that until I've figured out a way to back them off (in case I need them in future).

Registered+
    Thanks

Where is your source for this? Who's to say it won't have a decent GPU, I know SE haven't exactly been on the ball when it comes to handsets recently, but if they are stupid enough to launch a gaming centric phone without a decent GPU then they deserve to loose all market share.
    The fact that it is using the Snapdragon 1ghz cpu. Probably not one the newer ones either, this means it probably won't have a dedicated gpu.

The Samsung Galaxy S however has a dedicated gpu, this beats the snapdragon htc desire by a long way. One gets 29fps on Neocore benchmark, the other gets 59fps.
    Last edited by Astridax93; 23-08-2010 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Corrected some very bad grammar mistakes. That is what you get when you are playing a game while typing :).

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

The fact that it is using the Snapdragon 1ghz cpu. Probably not one the newer ones either, this means it probably won't have a dedicated gpu.

The Samsung Galaxy S however has a dedicated gpu, this beats the snapdragon htc desire by a long way. One gets 29fps on Neocore benchmark, the other gets 59fps.
    I still don't agree that just because it is using a Snapdragon this rumoured handset won't also have dedicated 3D graphics hardware. There needs to be a spec sheet or source saying this, not just conjecture.

Thread Information