Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Virgin Media boosts XL broadband service to 30Mb

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Virgin Media boosts XL broadband service to 30Mb

Current 20Mb XL customers can upgrade for £30.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

Re: News - Virgin Media boosts XL broadband service to 30Mb

You state that both Virgin and BT packs are with Unlimited Data use? So does this mean there is no fair use policy? No cap? No throttling?

Only I've heard different so the above could be false advertising.
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Thanks

I can confirm that "unlimited" is indeed, complete rubbish.

They terminated my connection due to my using it too much, even after they asked me to use it between 9pm-9am for heavy downloading, which I complied with. After they wrote saying it would be disconnected in 10 days, I contacted them to find out why and they agreed I had complied with their "out of hours" usage and that I wouldn't be disconnected, followed by saying they would email their "internet security" team to inform them not to disconnect me and that I had complied. Then, 7 days later, they disconnected me.

I am currently looking at legal advice, especially after they used "fair usage" policy in their wording, yet when asked to supply this policy to enable me to comply (once verbally, once in writing), they failed to do so.

Currently I have no internet and it will take 28 days for me to get it back, as I'm waiting for a line to be installed - I am NOT impressed with the way Virgin treats its long-term customers!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sadmuppet View Post
    They terminated my connection due to my using it too much, even after they asked me to use it between 9pm-9am for heavy downloading, which I complied with. After they wrote saying it would be disconnected in 10 days, I contacted them to find out why and they agreed I had complied with their "out of hours" usage and that I wouldn't be disconnected, followed by saying they would email their "internet security" team to inform them not to disconnect me and that I had complied. Then, 7 days later, they disconnected me.
    how much were you downloading? Ive done a good 500GB-1TB a month for a long time without any problems.

Thanks

They never told me how much either. I do know that I had to download all my Steam games once, which is 300gb of downloads.

I neglected to mention that when I cancelled their services, they called back 2 days later asking why. When it was explained that they cut the 'net off without warning after they said they wouldn't, they insinuated that I downloaded movies which I then sold (down the market or similar).

I'm pretty sure the 3000+ DVD/BluRay collection I have, which grows weekly, might disprove that theory - although I'm more angered by the insinuation I'm a pirate making a profit!!!

I don't do Torrents etc - most of my traffic is due to remote access traffic and large data transfers (all legal!!) Anything else is iTunes purchases, Steam purchases etc.

Oh, for anyone interested, they classify 600mb as the size for a movie. One HD TV episode from iTunes when purchased is 3.5 times that size.

Given they want us to buy HD channels, maybe they should consider the internet can be used to access HD content and 600mb is no longer a yard stick for a movie!!

/end rant

:edit

I had the 50mb XXL connection for the record - Virgin don't throttle that connection, and I even made the suggestion of it (I could throttle it myself) and they said "It wouldn't make a difference". They have never said I downloaded too much, just that I used it too much during 9am-9pm, until I was disconnected, when it then turned into "using too much".
    Last edited by sadmuppet; 01-02-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by neonplanet40 View Post
    You state that both Virgin and BT packs are with Unlimited Data use? So does this mean there is no fair use policy? No cap? No throttling?
    Only I've heard different so the above could be false advertising.
    Be very careful here - there was some discussion on one of the net forum's I was reading, and a lawyer dived in to point out that while a capped service definitely isn't "unlimited data", one that has throttling is still okay. Remember that they're providing a headline speed, but aren't going to give you any guarantees that you'll actually get that - so if your fancy 10Mb service dives to 500Kb during peak times, then you're still getting unlimited data. It'll just take a lot longer to get it.

VM's throttling does seem to be applied in a patchy manner, some folks get dramatic slashing of their data rates, others (like me! ) seem to get a more gentle restriction, if any at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross1 View Post
    how much were you downloading? Ive done a good 500GB-1TB a month for a long time without any problems.
    You beat me to it - I telework using my "L" line and while I don't usually download that much I've seldom seen any evidence of throttling. Heck, last week alone I downloaded six DVD's worth of information (for work purposes!) in addition to the usual Internet TV, game playing, etc.

While the new XL service will offer 50 percent more bandwidth compared to the previous service it will cost £18.50 a month, down from the previous £20 when taken with a Virgin Media home phone
    Problem I've got with 'em is that you would think that they would want to "encourage" people to move up the scale, and hence get a bit more income. Last time I checked it'd cost me 2x the price difference stated on the website to move from L to XL - so where's the "reward" for customer loyalty? Not looking for a discount necessarily, would have just liked to be able to pay no more than the difference they were offering to new customers. And no, I stayed with "L" service as a result! (Which means I've not paid for an upgrade since I joined Blueyonder back in the late nineties.)
    Last edited by crossy; 01-02-2011 at 03:12 PM.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks

I think I'll stay with Be... (no problems yet, after a couple of years)
    -Casimir's Blake
    Psychedelic Tektoniks From The Berenices

Thanks
    • Roobubba's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55 GD60
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 860 @ 3.58GHz (Megahalems + Apache)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Patriot Viper DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 80GB Intel X25-M + bunch of HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 5870 + Earplugs.
      • PSU:
      • TAGAN 800W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V1110 (bit disappointing)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" LCD (TN)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MBit

Quote Originally Posted by sadmuppet View Post
    Oh, for anyone interested, they classify 600mb as the size for a movie. One HD TV episode from iTunes when purchased is 3.5 times that size.
    The sizes used for calculation are a music album at 60Mb, a TV show at 350Mb, a high quality movie at 1.1 GB (e.g. from LOVEFiLM) and an HD movie at 5 GB (e.g. HD movies from Xbox Live marketplace).
    That's from the virgin media website.

So I'm currently on XL (and have had no problems with it at all), but to upgrade to the 'new' XL looks like it'll cost 75 quid for the new superhub. Bah!

Roo

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Roobubba View Post

So I'm currently on XL (and have had no problems with it at all), but to upgrade to the 'new' XL looks like it'll cost 75 quid for the new superhub. Bah!

Roo
    A few forums have had people call up, existing customers can get the new superhub crap for around £30. Currently on 20mb myself but as I will be moving in the next few months I will probably go to the 10mb line until money has settled down and I know what I will be paying exactly every month and then I will look at 30mb lines if needed.
    Last edited by Grey M@a; 01-02-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roobubba View Post
    I quoted the person on the other end of the phone - I'd been disconnected at that point when they were arguing that 600mb was for a movie and I pointed out an episode of something like "The Walking Dead" on iTunes was about 2.1gb for a 45 minute TV show.

Still, it doesn't surprise me they didn't have the website info to hand.

Thanks

What I find most annoying is inconsistency with which they apply their rules - being a student and living in student part of town (Oh Hi 5-6 pcs per house) I heard some stories from several mates similar to yours, while there are others who dl like crazy and have no issues whatsoever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Molotov View Post
    What I find most annoying is inconsistency with which they apply their rules - being a student and living in student part of town (Oh Hi 5-6 pcs per house) I heard some stories from several mates similar to yours, while there are others who dl like crazy and have no issues whatsoever.
    virgin have recently clarified on their own forums that they don't measure downloads between 9pm and 9am, as that is off peak for them, and most of the traffic is from 9am to 9pm, and they classify anyone downloading more than 350gb between 9am and 9pm during a 28 day period as a heavy user, and will send them a letter asking them to move their downloading to the 9pm to 9am period

350gb is considered a lot by most ISP's on it's own, some would want to kick you off for that alone, even if all was after midnite and before 9pm. 350gb is the equivilent of 12.5gb a day, during daytime, so almost 3 dvdr's of stuff. it's not really unreasonably if you are using so much bandwidth to do it offpeak instead, just leave the pc on overnight or something

i remember reading somewhere about some guy moaning about virgin sending him a letter when he said that one afternoon alone he downloaded about 150gb when setting up a new pc

anyways, the reason why some people who download a lot don't get letters is cuz they download offpeak, the letters seem to be sent to those who leave their computers downloading during the daytime when they are at work so they have stuff ready when they get home, instead of just downloading it at night instead. at least virgin have clarified so people know what to do to avoid getting in trouble

has anyone on the 10mb/L service asked about upgrading to the 30mb? i'm paying £25 a month for that on it's own, so for about £5 more a month i can get 3x faster, plus a reasonably bigger limit before STM kicks in, plus a landline in case my internet dies and i need to use dialup because i've misplaced my 3g dongle and my wifi and all my neighbours eventually got round to securing their wifi

Registered+
    Thanks

Virgin Media have the worse customer service/support i've ever had the misfortune to experience so none of the what people say surprises me. My connection is throttled fairly quickly during peak times and that’s just my boys on their PS3. I'm leaving them as soon as this 12 month contract is over.

Thanks

sbarts your are lucky you never dealt with talk talk
    i had the "pleasure" of cooperating with them through work and I can't actually imagine how they treat customers considering the way they dealt with us which was pretty much internal cooperation

Thanks
    • stroberaver's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel E8400
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
      • Storage:
      • 1.6 TB combined between PC and NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce 8800GT 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Tagan T480-U01
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VP-171S
      • Internet:
      • Cable broadband 10meg

Quote Originally Posted by Virgin Media
    Unlike other fibre optic broadband services based on VDSL technology, such as BT Infinity, Virgin Media customers can expect to receive speeds close to the stated headline 30Mb speed, and aren't subject to the ‘speed lottery' that plagues broadband delivered over telephone wires.
    I calls bull****.

They're upping the headline speed, but it appears to me that their infrastructure is in a diabolical state. I went for 3 months with no internet due to overselling in my area, and it took weeks for them even to acknowledge it and start "planning" a resolution. Consumer advice, written complaints, ISPA complaints - they all failed to stop the excuses and the continuing lack of service. Only after a third ISPA complaint with the threat of referral to CISAS did they suddenly manage to move me to a different port on my chassis.

To be upgrading the 20meg service to 30meg when their network can't cope with existing traffic levels is outrageous and offensive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uni View Post
    virgin have recently clarified on their own forums that they don't measure downloads between 9pm and 9am, as that is off peak for them, and most of the traffic is from 9am to 9pm, and they classify anyone downloading more than 350gb between 9am and 9pm during a 28 day period as a heavy user, and will send them a letter asking them to move their downloading to the 9pm to 9am period
    Just to reiterate - they did do this. I did comply. They STILL disconnected me (and I turned my PC off at midnight or before when the data had finished downloading).

End of the day, it doesn't help me, but worth mentioning to others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information