Thread: News - Sony splits TV business into three following major losses

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Sony splits TV business into three following major losses

Sony plans new strategy for dwindling TV business.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: News - Sony splits TV business into three following major losses

People want TVs with a good picture quality. It's hard to distinguish Sony with the likes of LG and Samsung who have upped thier game in recent years. The key differentiator is that Sony doesn't like it when you want to play your own films via a thumb drive. This may of changed, but when I bought my TV 2 years ago, it was Samsung which won me over with their DLNA support.

Sony needs to adopt standards instead of trying to strangle them.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by billybear View Post
    People want TVs with a good picture quality. It's hard to distinguish Sony with the likes of LG and Samsung who have upped thier game in recent years. The key differentiator is that Sony doesn't like it when you want to play your own films via a thumb drive. This may of changed, but when I bought my TV 2 years ago, it was Samsung which won me over with their DLNA support.
    Sony needs to adopt standards instead of trying to strangle them.
    I'm going to disagree on both counts - in last year's What HiFi awards Sony did very well - matching Samsung for the number of entries and securing the overall winner (with the 40EX503). Okay, this year, Sony didn't manage a single entry, but then again Panasonic seem to have had it "sewn up".

We chose a 40EX503 after comparing the picture quality - the LG's had off kilter colours, and the Samsung's seem to lack a bit of definition. That said, I've got an LG monitor (which was a buying mistake) and it seems to be okay on the colours, but it's incredible how quickly it loses sharpness as viewing angle increases - the 5 year old Viewsonic that it replaced was markedly better.

As to DLNA - the '503 ticks that box fine - no real problems streaming photos, music and some videos to the TV from either flash drive or NAS box. The "some videos" qualification is because the tv seems to lack support for MP4's etc - which is strange because the home theatre kit we got in the package does these very well.

The units later than ours apparently can also be controlled via a smartphone/tablet app - again, the home theatre kit can do this, and I had a fine old time messing around with the settings from my Android tablet.

I'm a bit surprised that Sony are suffering poor sales - they certainly seemed to have a good "presence" - e.g. most of the tech departments in Marks & Spencers we'd been into have pushed Sony and Samsung gear, and usually it's the Sony at the front display.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

OilSheikh

Their TV's are expensie compared to Samsung or LG .. seriously .. what did they expect?

And, why are they buying LCD screens from Samsung ? Can't they make their own or get a dedicated manufacturer than buying from a rival ?

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    Their TV's are expensie compared to Samsung or LG .. seriously .. what did they expect?
    You're forgetting Sony logic, why cut the price and compete when you can change strategies and impress investors with your business acumen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

Panasonic are also losing vast sums of money on their TV Business - they will be shutting/selling quite a few plants and outsourcing most of their flat panels ...

Seems that the Japanese firms just can't compete on price with the Korean competitors who have pretty much caught up with them in terms of quality.

Registered+
    Thanks

I think price-wise they're still pretty decent if you go to the right place. My parents bought a 48" LED aabout a year ago and turned out Sony was the best quality and pretty much the cheapest if bought from Amazon, I'd probably consider getting a Sony too since you know it's going to be good quality (not saying other brands aren't but I do like Sony), maybe I'm just stuck in the past though.

Thread Information