Thread: News - ASUS Transformer Prime introduced and examined

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - ASUS Transformer Prime introduced and examined

Finally, an iPad 2-killer is born?
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - ASUS Transformer Prime introduced and examined

Lets hope the tegra 3 lives up to all its hype, if so I might finally buy a tablet

Thanks

stick MW3 on it will you

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Wish Asus would do a (limited time?) trade in deal for Transformer Mk1 - I'd be in there like a shot. Even if the cost to change was something crazy like £150.

Looks like a damned fine piece of kit - although the smaller battery and 50% reduction in USB ports is a retrograde step as far as I'm concerned. Got to say that a 32GB one with the keyboard dock would suit me fine - given it's still got the uSD slot I've no need for a 64GB variant.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • DannyM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-2400
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 - PC-12800
      • Storage:
      • 120GB A-Data SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB Nvidia ASUS 560Ti DirectuII
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 620W HX Modular PSU
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" Dell UltraSharp U2311H
      • Internet:
      • 50Mb Virgin Media Cable Broadband

I think I'll be getting this, if the prices are fair.

Thanks

See how long it is before Apple start with the lawyers...

Personally I have the Xoom 3g and one of the things that annoys me with it is where the power cable plugs in when charging, makes using the unit a pita with it in its folio and on charge at the same time as the folio doesnt allow me to flip it upside down and have it on charge, the Otterbox was fine as it can be rotated in the clam section and have the power cable stick out of what is then the top, hopefully Asus have put the power on one of the sides so it can be charged and docked at the same time..

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    See how long it is before Apple start with the lawyers...

Personally I have the Xoom 3g and one of the things that annoys me with it is where the power cable plugs in when charging, makes using the unit a pita with it in its folio and on charge at the same time as the folio doesnt allow me to flip it upside down and have it on charge, the Otterbox was fine as it can be rotated in the clam section and have the power cable stick out of what is then the top, hopefully Asus have put the power on one of the sides so it can be charged and docked at the same time..
    I'm pretty sure that the charging cable port is at the bottom (longest side that doesn't have the logo on it), same as on the non-Prime. For the Transformer this makes sense because the charging port is also where the keyboard docks in too. Of course you could always charge the dock separately and then when the tablet charge falls switch it into "netbook" mode in which case the keyboard dock's battery will also charge the tablet.

Biggest problem I've had with the Transformer tablet and charging is ... THAT THE DAMNED CABLE IS TOO SHORT! I can see why Asus had to go with a special connector, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. They should have taken a leaf out of Logitech's K800 keyboard - the supplied charging lead for that is about a metre long.

I know what you're getting at with the Apple comment - can't see them repeating their disagreement with Samsung and trying to sue on form factor - because only a complete idiot could mistake the Transformer for the lesser product! (Cue the arguments with the iPad2 owners ... <grin>)

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • MaddAussie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix Z370G
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700k (5.1Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 500G 960 EVO NMVE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1070
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide A1r 240
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell HD + Samsung HD

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the charging cable port is at the bottom (longest side that doesn't have the logo on it), same as on the non-Prime. For the Transformer this makes sense because the charging port is also where the keyboard docks in too. Of course you could always charge the dock separately and then when the tablet charge falls switch it into "netbook" mode in which case the keyboard dock's battery will also charge the tablet.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-3-0...m-length-48893

I got one of these, works a treat

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

I don't care how much I get flamed for these comments..what follows here is just my opinion, and I am not arguging over which platform/os is better..its purely my own view. Ahem.

The hardware looks great - pretty much perfect in many ways for a tablet.

The reason I won't be buying one, and crucially the reason it's definitely not an iPad 2 killer? It's running android, not iOS (or even WebOS).

The second most important reason that many people will be buying an iPad (after the fact it's "made by Apple") is that it's running iOS, and has all the apps and benefits that brings.

Beautiful hardware, just a shame about the software imo.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Wow....apple really do have a brainwashing app!

You do realise many apps for Android cannot be done on IOS due to apple limitations? There are no such limitations in the opposite direction. Exactly what apps can you not get on Android?

As for why people buy Apple......it's the "look at me" factor...the vast majority of apple owners probably haven't got a clue what IOS is if you asked them!
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Ahh yes but they dont need to know do they..

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Wow....apple really do have a brainwashing app!

You do realise many apps for Android cannot be done on IOS due to apple limitations? There are no such limitations in the opposite direction. Exactly what apps can you not get on Android?

As for why people buy Apple......it's the "look at me" factor...the vast majority of apple owners probably haven't got a clue what IOS is if you asked them!
    I didn't say that I thought that way - personally I don't like the android UI for the most part, and the lack of security and complete lack of polish that exists for the most part puts me off 100%. That is without mentioning the massive fragmentation of both the hardware and software market w/r to android devices, which is it's biggest limiting factor. HTC do a great job of fixing the UI issues with manilla/sense on their android phones, but I still wouldn't consider one as my primary device.

Nothing to do with "brainwashing" - its all a personal choice. I like iOS - it's great for me..not perfect, so I jumped to WP7..which is better on many levels, but still has some annoying issues. Im not going to go into the debate of which is better between droid/webos/ios/wp7..done it many times before and cba again,nothing has changed.

Simple point was that I don't think its an "iPad 2 killer", and certainly it won't be an iPad 2 killer when it comes to sales..and thats it.

If you personally prefer android or think this tablet is a better bit of kit - great, go buy and one and enjoy it

Thanks

Massive fragmentation never harmed the PC version of Windows, in fact having fragmentation is the best option for the consumer. Yes there are limitations and frustrations, but you have the choice as a consumer to make those decisions as to which phone you buy. In Apples eyes one size fits all, but everyone is different, some want a bigger screen, some want a smaller screen, people like to buy something different than what you have bought before.

Apple have stuck with the same phone design since its inception and I am surprised users haven't become bored with its looks already.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Exactly what apps can you not get on Android?

A vast amount of music production applications, e.g. NanoStudio, BeatMaker, FruityLoops.

Which is a shame because - if Google sort out audio latency issues - a tablet like this running a slimline mobile / tablet OS - that isn't OS X or Windows - could provide a highly stable, fast and reliable audio production environment.
    -Casimir's Blake
    Psychedelic Tektoniks From The Berenices

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    I didn't say that I thought that way - personally I don't like the android UI for the most part, and the lack of security and complete lack of polish that exists for the most part puts me off 100%. That is without mentioning the massive fragmentation of both the hardware and software market w/r to android devices, which is it's biggest limiting factor. HTC do a great job of fixing the UI issues with manilla/sense on their android phones, but I still wouldn't consider one as my primary device. Nothing to do with "brainwashing" - its all a personal choice. I like iOS - it's great for me
    With the greatest respect () I think you're doing Android a disservice here - looking at your sig kit list I was tempted to mark you as "Apple fanboy", but I suspect that would be doing you a massive disservice - and rude to boot, so I'll not do that.

You seem to be lumping phones and tablets together - no, you can't really do that. The "Android UI" that tablet's run is a horse of a different colour to the myriad of ones that exist on the phones. (Disclaimer: I'm talking about proper tablets running the "tablet edition" of the OS - not the el cheapo gear that's running Android for phones). The Honeycomb UI is just as usable as iOS - it's got some obvious flaws, but then again so has iOS.

Lack of security? Presumably you mean the switch to allow 3rd party repositories. That's off by default, (so you can only use Google Market Place), and switching it on gets you a large warning message. If you have no reason to use non GMP stuff (and I don't) then leave it be and you're just as secure as in Steve/Tim's "walled garden".

Fragmentation? If you're talking about the entire Android environment then I'll agree - but that's inevitable given the breadth of people doing it. If you're talking about tablets, then I'll disagree - there's not a lot of difference (if you ignore the budget knockoffs - and even then these seem to follow a limited number of configurations).

You'll possibly dismiss these comments as the ravings of an Android fanboy - perhaps true, although I'm quite willing to praise the iPad2 where it richly deserves it. Wouldn't buy one myself though, because I'd find it limited and annoying - preferring the Transformer because, to quote a celebrity, "it's great for me"

Thanks

Just an update on this post guys. Some new information Igor Stanek, Senior Product PR Manager Notebooks/Tegra.

He has very graciously let us know some more details about the Tegra 3.

It will be clocked at 1.4GHz single-core mode and 1.3Ghz in multi-core mode.

It will support hardware acceleration of H.264 High-Profile 40Mbps, VC1-AP and DivX 5/6.

The NEON vector unit will be present on each core (so a total of four at any one time).

All in all if you perform the same task on the Tegra 3 as the Tegra 2, the chip will generally use less power, but if you max it out it'll consume more but offer 5x the performance of the Tegra 2 - much as we expected.

Thought some of this information may be interesting and have updated the post.

Cheers

17. Received thanks from:

crossy (12-11-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information