Thread: News - MW3 smashes billion-dollar Avatar record

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - MW3 smashes billion-dollar Avatar record

Latest Call Of Duty game smashes box office records in 16 day period.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Re: News - MW3 smashes billion-dollar Avatar record

With Call Of Duty making Activision so much money on a yearly basis, how long will it be before we get a twice yearly dose of the shooter, in one form or another?
    Oh ... my ... god ... ffs, please no. (and I count myself as a CoD fan)

I'm already pretty annoyed that Activision seem hell bent on milking this for all it's worth with "Elit3", how long before CoD MP is a monthly subscription? (Actually, maybe I should keep quiet - don't want to give them ideas!)

Getting back to the game - I'm glad, (and I'm one of the folks who pre-ordered), that it's done well - the story was actually quite good this time, certainly streets better than MW2. Although, I've got a slight preference for the story in BF3, and unlike a lot of folks I thought the one in BO was pretty reasonable as well - but it's "fashionable" to regard Treyarch's CoD's as badly flawed.

Now that the "MW" story arc has ended I wonder if the next instalment will do as well. Maybe I'm being catty, but I suspect that it won't and MW3 will be seen as the zenith in CoD's fortunes, (in both senses of the word).

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

I doubt it....as long as at least one of the new consoles are out next year, I foresee next years COD breaking all the records again....and increasing the number of formats they release it on!
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Steve A's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene IV
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 2600K (4.3Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair 1600
      • Storage:
      • 240Gb SSD + 6TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA - GTX680
      • PSU:
      • 750W BeQuiet Pro GOLD
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus 3D Monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100Mb BT Fibre

I actually got round to playing this yesterday, and the amount of people that were wallhacking was unreal, now i have been playing games like this since early teens and im long past that and i can tell easy enough how to spot them

You can easily spot from killcam ... tracking me though walls and then BANG as soon as i appear ... so obvious ... i know all games have there fair share of cheats but this was really bad, every other person i was getting kill off was tracking me through walls.

May be they should put more effort into stamping that out as it was a joke ....

I used to love the earlier COD series like most people but this is nothing new ... same crap different name.

for me BF3 is far superior in every way shape and form ....

I shall never tire... BEANFro Elite's Avatar
    Thanks
    • BEANFro Elite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus MAXIMUS IV EXTREME Rev.3.0
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Memory Vengeance 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240Gb RevoDrive 3 X2, 1x 1TB Maxter DiamondMax 11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire ATi HD5970 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1000W Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermater Cosmos Pure Black
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2209WA
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
    I used to love the earlier COD series like most people but this is nothing new ... same crap, SLIGHTLY different name.

for me BF3 is far superior in every way shape and form ....
    I think BF3 and CoD 8, yes EIGHT were both lacklustre, played both on my friend's PC, just dire; CoD's storytelling and pacing has been severely flushed down the toilet since CoD4, and yeah, I hear the cheating in CoD 8 is rampent, ironic considering their very reasons for not allowing dedicated servers and don't put it past either EA or Activision, EA will bring it in via that Origin nonsense and Activision via Elit3, eurgh! [ shudders ].

Forget DRM, Activision and EA are doing a VERY good job of sucking the fun and imagination out of the gaming industry on their own... ¬_¬
    Last edited by BEANFro Elite; 14-12-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Thanks

Haven't bought it yet, I kind of want to play campaign but I've been in a pattern of; play cod, wait for new one, experience disappointment, expect next will be worse but still buy it...
    It's a game that really doesn't deserve to do as well as it does, there are plenty of indie games (most of them probably) which are more fun to play, last longer and have fewer bugs at a fraction of the price. But I suppose MW meets the zero-intelligence requirement of many gamers.

Can't say I was massively impressed with BF3 although I do prefer it over CoD. It's a step backwards from BC2 in many ways, destruction for example. So much for this new, GPU-accelerated Frostbite 2 engine! Even the 7 walls in the game you can destroy just fall apart in the same way every single time. Yes, flattening buildings containing, or C4ing, M-coms was a PITA but this isn't the answer. Torches also seem to make the person holding them near-invincible. But there's little else more satisfying than mortaring a camping sniper.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    It's a game that really doesn't deserve to do as well as it does, there are plenty of indie games (most of them probably) which are more fun to play, last longer and have fewer bugs at a fraction of the price. But I suppose MW meets the zero-intelligence requirement of many gamers.

I so agree watercooled , apparently every ''new'' CoD released its nothing more than couple new textuers ( possibly some from the old series ) and maybe few (3?) new weapons, the same scripts, exactly same engine which is what, like 8 years old now?
    Campaign have been quiete fun though only if it didn't last, again, like 5 hrs.
    As they say; vote with your wallet and I'm so fed up with CoD series i will never buy any of it again.

As of indie games - Arma 2 it is

Out of the Loop
    Thanks
    • vrykyl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG X570 Strix-E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3900 @ 4.5ghz 1.28v (Noctua DH15)
      • Memory:
      • 32gb (2x16gb) Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz @ 3800mhz 1.35v
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Corsair MP600 NVME, 256gb Samsung Evo, 4tb WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC 10gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX 860w + White Braided Cables
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Limited Edition (Soundproofed)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 49" CRG9 Ultrawide 5120x1440 @ 120hz
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80mb fibre (80/20)

Sadly this guarantee's both Treyarch and Infinity Ward will continue to spoon out drivel with the COD name on it every year... I wouldnt mind quite so much (seeing as Ive long since given up buying them) IF they at least came up with a new game engine from time to time... but NOTHING has changed - even the textures are the same!

And COD Elite is one of the most disgusting inventions ever in gaming. Full stop.

Thanks

Aww but their margins are so tight - they even have to charge £5 more than everyone else to make every map pack, sorry, game so different and innovative. The tiny number of sales they make must hurt!

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
    I so agree watercooled , apparently every ''new'' CoD released its nothing more than couple new textuers ( possibly some from the old series ) and maybe few (3?) new weapons, the same scripts, exactly same engine which is what, like 8 years old now?
    Campaign have been quiete fun though only if it didn't last, again, like 5 hrs.
    As they say; vote with your wallet and I'm so fed up with CoD series i will never buy any of it again.
    As of indie games - Arma 2 it is
    Agree with the lack of variation - although I'll argue strongly about that "same scripts" jibe:
    CoD(1) - WW2/Europe - some slight linkage in story;
    CoD2 - WW2/Europe - distinct missions, no story thread, more a case of "simultaneous views" from different theatres;
    CoD3 - WW2/Europe - CoD2 with a lot more "story";
    CoD4 (MW1) - modern/global - definite story - arguably the best story-driven CoD, and the one most seem to think was the "best" in that regard;
    CoD5 (W@W) - WW2/global - back to the level of CoD3 story-wise. (Coincidentally it's this game that persuaded me to upgrade my PC, since it was dire on my rig then, even though Crysis ran fine);
    CoD6 (MW2) - modern/global - continuation of the story in MW1, some high points, but overall very disappointing;
    CoD7 (BO) - modern/global - very strong story thread (Treyarch finally "got" what folks had been complaining about), although personally I preferred MoH for it's game play;
    CoD8 (MW3) - modern/global - welcome return to a good story line for IW - maybe not as good as MW1, but certainly (imho) streets ahead of MW2 dismal showing.
    As for ArmA - I tried that last year and was very, very unimpressed - extremely buggy and too "simulation" for my tastes.
    The Campaign mode's story is very important to me because that's what I tend to play - not really being "into" the multiplayer that everyone either raves about or curses (with equal measure). I've been very impressed with BF3 actually - especially on the PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by vrykyl View Post
    And COD Elite is one of the most disgusting inventions ever in gaming. Full stop.
    "Squeeze them punters 'til they squeal" school of business methinks.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks

Hopefully the shocking reviews from MW3 will make them realise people are losing interest, although if they're still topping sales maybe not...

Thanks

I doubt they care in the slightest as long as they are raking in the cash...

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    (Hopefully the shocking reviews from MW3 will make them realise people are losing interest, although if they're still topping sales maybe not) I doubt they care in the slightest as long as they are raking in the cash...
    Agree with watercooled here - Activision couldn't give a stuff as long as the dinero keeps flooding in. Heck, I'm sure that they'd quite happily do a CoD branded version of Angry Birds if they thought they'd sell a couple of thousand copies.

As for "shocking reviews", I don't think I've seen any bad reviews of MW3 in the serious sites/mags, at worst they're pretty cool about it - "nothing new to see" etc. The blog sites, on the other hand, have been a bit more vicious - "wasted opportunity to move the series on" etc.

Personally I'd tend to agree with both views - yes, MW3 could have done something new, and all they've done is polish what they had before. And I'm quite sure that BF3 is the better game - certainly that'll be what I'd vote for in "game of the year" contests*.

(* unless the latest Assassin's Creed - which I've not fired up yet - turns out to be as good as some have said).

Thanks

You've combined two quotes there BTW.

I'm not sure I'd vote either as GoTY but out of the two it would be BF3, especially considering the new maps. Still not keen on the forcefield tac light though...

Thread Information