Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Apple wins legal case against HTC... or does it?

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Apple wins legal case against HTC... or does it?

HTC calls ruling a "win"?
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

Re: News - Apple wins legal case against HTC... or does it?

Nokia, Samsung, Blackberry and others highlighted mobile numbers in text messages before Apple started doing it on their devices. Literally sent a number from someone, it would be highlighted in blue, move the cursor onto it (usually by just scrolling down the message) and click it then you had the option to add to contacts or call.

How Apple are getting away with this is beyond me, you would think they were the very first phone manufacturer ever enforcing origional patents from years before the iPhone was even a thought.

Apple are REALLY starting to become a nuisance in the technology industry, yeah they are trying to be market leaders which I understand, who doesnt. Trouble is they are going about it in such a way that is bad for the consumer unless you are part of Cult of Mac where Apple cant do anything wrong regardless.

Apple REALLY need knocking down a peg or two and putting in their place, only way this will happen is if there is some sort of coalition between technology manufacturers and software developers. They need to get together and get this sorted for the sake of the consumer.

3. Received thanks from:

[GSV]Trig (20-12-2011),CAT-THE-FIFTH (20-12-2011),crossy (20-12-2011),DavidM (20-12-2011),Hicks12 (20-12-2011),MaddAussie (20-12-2011),miniyazz (20-12-2011),Steve A (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    • MaddAussie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix Z370G
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700k (5.1Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 500G 960 EVO NMVE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1070
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide A1r 240
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell HD + Samsung HD

Agree totally with Ferral

Isn't salad what food eats??

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Ferral View Post
    Nokia, Samsung, Blackberry and others highlighted mobile numbers in text messages before Apple started doing it on their devices. Literally sent a number from someone, it would be highlighted in blue, move the cursor onto it (usually by just scrolling down the message) and click it then you had the option to add to contacts or call.
    Like you I'm sure I remember Nokia doing something similar - actually if memory serves me rightly my old Nokia 7110 had this ability - although in that case it underlined (b/w screen) the text that could be "added to contacts".

Problem I've got is that IF this really did exist as "prior art" then why the heck didn't HTC pull it up as evidence that the patent in question was the usual USPTO p.o.s. ?
    Apple REALLY need knocking down a peg or two and putting in their place, only way this will happen is if there is some sort of coalition between technology manufacturers and software developers. They need to get together and get this sorted for the sake of the consumer.
    So agree, motto seems to be "litigation instead of innovation" at Apple HQ these days. And again, if, for example, the Android and Windows phone folks got together for a mutual "see what you've got that infringes my patents and we'll do a deal" sit-down, then we'd have Apple complaining to the FTC that there was an illegal cartel being setup.

Personally speaking I'd like some of the current anti-Apple law suits to succeed - they (Apple) are in dire need of some "hoist by our own petard" type lessons. I've yet to see a single patent that they're using that's anything more than trivial and/or obvious.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • Steve A's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene IV
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 2600K (4.3Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair 1600
      • Storage:
      • 240Gb SSD + 6TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA - GTX680
      • PSU:
      • 750W BeQuiet Pro GOLD
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus 3D Monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100Mb BT Fibre

How Apple are getting away with this is beyond me, you would think they were the very first phone manufacturer ever enforcing origional patents from years before the iPhone was even a thought.

Apple are REALLY starting to become a nuisance in the technology industry, yeah they are trying to be market leaders which I understand, who doesnt. Trouble is they are going about it in such a way that is bad for the consumer unless you are part of Cult of Mac where Apple cant do anything wrong regardless.

Apple REALLY need to get a life ...

Apple are REALLY starting to bore me now .........

Infact

ZZZzzzZZZZZzzzzZZZZ

Wake me up when the iPhone 12s is out (probably by the summer)

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

i think this is a perfect example of apple being taken down a peg or two. Along with that EU ruling that Apple and Samsung both have to sort their poo out, feels like we might finally going back to the days when apple tried to sue Microsoft for 'look and feel' and got batted back. You just cant do it!

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

So basically only 1 patent out of 10 was confirmed... Why dont the courts just sort it out and say, Right Apple you have filed 199,000,000 Patents in 2 years yet only 2 of them have passed so can you stop waiting our FJSEIJFEFUI TIME.

It is a win for HTC and im glad HTC have looked at it like that, the fact such a tiny patent (even if i believe everyones done it before...) passed means its easy to fix and the whole "Apple wonz!!!!" will last for approximately 5 minutes . I just hope HTC decide to fire back with some more interesting patents as im sure the same as nokia that they did all this tech way back, maybe they can get MS to help them from the old days of WM 6!.

It really is peeing me off though seeing this, its good to be competitive but its absolutely terrible to be constricting the market and forcing everyone to do something that the market wont like, for instance every touchscreen apparently looks like an iphone yet its more the fact they look like the LG prada but regardless its a generic form factor, its the optimal factor and Apple didnt come up with it so you cant really sue people for coming to the conclusion that there is no real room for improvement.

Atleast there is one significant patent left in the courts, Motorola 3g looks like it could cripple Apple and i hope it passes and that Google decides to either ban the whole of Apples shipments for good or takes the massive royalty and puts down the rules that Apple cant do X Y Z in terms of patent whoring or something .
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks
    • GaryRW's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35C DS3R
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • DDR2 4gb
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW

I had an idea this morning of a anti-alcohol pill/spray. Just go out for xmas lunch or parties, drink as much as you want at the end, pop a pill and 15 minutes later hey - you can drive. Can I file a patent and hope that someone else actually works out how to make the thing?

The impression I get is that Apple, and pretty much every other large company, are filing patents for anything and everything they can think of (in terms as vague as possible) all looooong before they have a working product using it. Then, years later, they have a look over what they came up with years earlier to see whether anyone else has done something vaguely in line with what they came up with.

I understood the reasoning behind the patent system was to protect the time and effort needed to bring a worthwhile product to market, without then immediately having lots of competitors stealing your idea. But we seem to have moved on, and I don't accept the premise that Apple wouldn't spend time implementing this (fairly obvious) feature even if they knew others would be able to copy them afterwards.

With things like software UI, I just can't see that patents should apply - Most of this stuff is evolutionary in nature after all. Even if they did, I would say that the tech is moving so fast that any patent for things like that should be massively time limited - a years or 2 (5 years absolute tops imo) should be more than enough to give e.g. Apple a competitive advantage by being the only ones implementing a specific UI development or software feature.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    At least there is one significant patent left in the courts, Motorola 3g looks like it could cripple Apple and i hope it passes and that Google decides to either ban the whole of Apples shipments for good or takes the massive royalty and puts down the rules that Apple cant do X Y Z in terms of patent whoring or something .
    Oooh, now there's a nice thought - iPhone/iPads being banned - would have thought the prospect of that would really pucker some sphincters in Cupertino!

Speaking as someone who owns three Android devices (phone, tablet and printer) I'd be happier if Google traded the threat of the Motorola patents for a "don't sue Android" pledge from Apple. Let's be honest - if the "iWhatever" products are just so gol' darn' superior as the fans would have us believe, then the big A has no need to sue the "lesser" companies - the market will decide.

Said it before, and I'll repeat myself. There's one bigger difference between Apple and Microsoft's approach - Microsoft basically say "you're violating our patents, here's how much it costs to license them and what compensation we're looking for" whereas Apple's appears to be "we've got a patent on that, stop doing it now and pay compensation". Much as I've slagged off Microsoft in the past, at least their approach appears more practical and customer-friendly.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • kopite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Memory Vengeance Black
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Crucial m4 for main drive. 3.5 TB of storage space over western Digital Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition
      • PSU:
      • 750W ANTEC TRUEPOWER
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1 x 27 inch dell Monitor 1 x 20 inch Dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin media 150MB

I just read this over at The inquirer http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ent-apps-calls

WTF!?!?!?!?

Surely the ITC are taking the piss now letting apple patent things that have been in the market for years. Im sure my old t610 allowed me to use other apps whilst on a call??!!?

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Agreed Crossy, it would be great to just put a stop to it (kinda what my post was meant to end at ). And yeah MS are actually using patents in a way i agree with, if someones violating it then just get a royalty and let them use it, its competition friendly as much as patents can be and everyones kind of a winner.

MS is sensible and are looking at the bigger picture, what happens when people begin to hate MS (more than normal ) then how will they survive, well they will survive via the other platforms taking over with royalties. Apple will be screwed as soon as the Istuff stops being a FAD .

edit: Wow kopite... wtf indeed! I knew ITC were biased to American companies (Apple 100% over anything else it seems) but this is just to far... im sorry but i believe WM 6.1 and even earlier supported all this? I know for a fact my HD2 did on 6.5 and that was in 09, apple didnt do "multitasking" until 2010 atleast with IOS 4.0, multitasking being a vague word for apple .

Ugh why do we have such a corrupt and idiotic Patent system, why cant America just PEE OFF for once. The EU is terrible but atleast it wouldnt have gone that far or id have hoped it wouldnt.
    Last edited by Hicks12; 20-12-2011 at 04:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kopite View Post
    I just read this over at The inquirer http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ent-apps-calls

WTF!?!?!?!?

Surely the ITC are taking the piss now letting apple patent things that have been in the market for years. Im sure my old t610 allowed me to use other apps whilst on a call??!!?
    Hopefully it'll be one of the 90% that fail in the next case.

I think regarding the highlighting of information, it'll be a case of how it's accomplished and the inner detail of the patent that will have allowed it to stand... still though.

14. Received thanks from:

miniyazz (20-12-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kopite View Post

WTF!?!?!?!?

My Sony J5 (yes, not SE!) allowed it.

Just a waste of every ones time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Big American company granted patents easily in the US. Not really rocket science TBH!

Thanks

american company but most of their production workers arent in US and like most large corporations most of their taxes wont be collected by US either...

the only winners here are the lawyers!

Thanks

don't know why everyones blaming apple here, apple has been the victim of patent trolling for years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information