Thread: News - Canonical pulls Kubuntu funding plug 7 years on

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Canonical pulls Kubuntu funding plug 7 years on

Popular alternative KDE Ubuntu desktop distribution has funding pulled.
    Read more.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Re: News - Canonical pulls Kubuntu funding plug 7 years on

Surprised this hasn't been more popular. When I last tried Ubuntu I couldn't bear the default GUI, and now I read that they've forced Unity on users? Following that though, it almost would've been odd for Canonical to carry on funding Kubuntu.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Surprised this hasn't been more popular. When I last tried Ubuntu I couldn't bear the default GUI, and now I read that they've forced Unity on users? Following that though, it almost would've been odd for Canonical to carry on funding Kubuntu.
    I agree and yes they have forced Unity onto others, though they are promising some key functional changes and improved performance in the upcoming 12.04 LTE release.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    I agree and yes they have forced Unity onto others, though they are promising some key functional changes and improved performance in the upcoming 12.04 LTE release.
    The folks over at Linux Format (and elsewhere) are of the opinion that Unity's been a godsend for Mint, because since insisting on Unity (still an ironic name consider it's so divisive) there's been an upswing in the number of Mint users.

Said it before, Unity on netbooks is quite usable. Unity on proper desktops just gets in the way. Choice would have been nice.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    The folks over at Linux Format (and elsewhere) are of the opinion that Unity's been a godsend for Mint, because since insisting on Unity (still an ironic name consider it's so divisive) there's been an upswing in the number of Mint users.

Said it before, Unity on netbooks is quite usable. Unity on proper desktops just gets in the way. Choice would have been nice.
    I've found on desktops things are never where I want with it, also, that driver performance with my machine (Phenom X6 II 1090T, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA 480GTX OC) is terrible, until recently I got constant freezing and the desktop remains sluggish. I actually got better performance from Ubuntu 11.10 through a VM on-top of Windows, which is more confusing because the integration in VM is also called Unity.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    I've found on desktops things are never where I want with it, also, that driver performance with my machine (Phenom X6 II 1090T, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA 480GTX OC) is terrible, until recently I got constant freezing and the desktop remains sluggish. I actually got better performance from Ubuntu 11.10 through a VM on-top of Windows, which is more confusing because the integration in VM is also called Unity.
    Hmm, that could be due to the "advanced" mode of Unity - I've seen (and heard on a couple of podcasts) that folks with "lesser" hardware - typically laptops - have had a much nicer time with Unity because it's fallen back to the "Unity2D" mode which seems to be better optimised.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Hmm, that could be due to the "advanced" mode of Unity - I've seen (and heard on a couple of podcasts) that folks with "lesser" hardware - typically laptops - have had a much nicer time with Unity because it's fallen back to the "Unity2D" mode which seems to be better optimised.
    Indeed, if I turned off advanced effects it ran as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner. KDE4 was a complete disaster for users and only served to swell the numbers of GNOME2 users and other DEs and WMs. And it's still hopelessly buggy and incomplete all these years on. But now Unity/GNOME3 are making all the same mistakes the KDE developers did with KDE4.

These idiots are destroying the utility of Linux for both Professional and Casual desktop users alike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner. KDE4 was a complete disaster for users and only served to swell the numbers of GNOME2 users and other DEs and WMs. And it's still hopelessly buggy and incomplete all these years on. But now Unity/GNOME3 are making all the same mistakes the KDE developers did with KDE4.These idiots are destroying the utility of Linux for both Professional and Casual desktop users alike.
    Hmm, I think you're maybe being a little unfair on KDE - although I'm a big Gnome fan, last time I used it (last years Suse release) it seemed okay. If I remember rightly though the justification for going to KDE4 was that previous KDE development was getting to the point where the codebase was unmaintainable.

Totally agree with the comments on Unity and especially Gnome3 - in the case of the latter I still think that delivering incremental GUI changes would have been better, rather than the "big bang" approach they took. I think Mint have got the right idea with their compatibility layers.

As to Unity - as far as I'm concerned the ONLY justification for Unity is one of Canonical wanting to "own" the desktop for commercial reasons. With my rose-tinted specs, they would have been far better ploughing some money into Gnome3 with the idea of making the Ubuntu version the best-of-breed. Failing that, they could have at least made a token gesture to standardisation and allowed Gnome3 as an install option (i.e. Gnome3 instead of Unity).

Actually, I'm coming to like the way Windows7 does things - initially I was a little hostile, but after having to use it for work I can see what Microsoft were trying to get to. In which case maybe Gnome3 might not be such a royal pain-in-the-***.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Hmm, I think you're maybe being a little unfair on KDE
    I don't. KDE4 still hasn't delivered anything which outclasses KDE3.5, it hasn't solved any new problems, and it's over 10 times larger to boot. End result? Slow pile of buggy buzzword laden crap which has wasted years and hundreds of thousands of developer hours, hemorrhaging most of their users, losing the enterprise confidence vote. All to get, nowhere.

If I remember rightly though the justification for going to KDE4 was that previous KDE development was getting to the point where the codebase was unmaintainable.
    That was the claim, but it was hollow and empty. Trinity, a tiny KDE3.5 maintenance project is still keeping it alive, and they don't have anywhere near the resources of the main KDE project, and as such, making improvements is going to be difficult for them.

This is the problem when designers get in the position of 'benevolent' dictator. Grand ideas, no freaking clue.
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner. KDE4 was a complete disaster for users and only served to swell the numbers of GNOME2 users and other DEs and WMs. And it's still hopelessly buggy and incomplete all these years on. But now Unity/GNOME3 are making all the same mistakes the KDE developers did with KDE4.

These idiots are destroying the utility of Linux for both Professional and Casual desktop users alike.
    QFT. I'#m still struggling to like Gnome 3, in either standard or legacy mode. I hope either G3 devs listen to the feedback, or G2 forks off on its own, although that will be messy.

The drive seems to be for something that is tablet friendly - which is fine and dandy - unless you are one of the many desktop users!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I hope either G3 devs listen to the feedback, or G2 forks off on its own, although that will be messy.
    Unfortunately it seems that the G3 devs have been explicitly ignoring user feedback from the very start.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    The drive seems to be for something that is tablet friendly - which is fine and dandy - unless you are one of the many desktop users!
    Yeah, I've no problem with developing tablet shells for tablets, it's when those shells hopelessly contaminate completely different and more important usage scenarios like the desktop when they go too far.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Unfortunately it seems that the G3 devs have been explicitly ignoring user feedback from the very start.
    They've not been ignoring feedback - merely that such feedback has been going into their copy of Evolution and they've not figured out how to launch it! (As you can probably tell, I don't like Evolution that much)
    Yeah, I've no problem with developing tablet shells for tablets, it's when those shells hopelessly contaminate completely different and more important usage scenarios like the desktop when they go too far.
    Agree totally. Actually, what gets me is that Unity AND Gnome3 both claim big improvements for tablet users. And how many Linux tablets are there? ... Answer: one - and that flippin' runs KDE!

At the risk of getting yelled at, I'm going to suggest that Microsoft got it right (*up until now) by doing a desktop GUI and then "tabletizing" it, as opposed to delivering a tablet UI that usable (barely?) on the desktop. That proviso in the first line was because MS seem to be intent on delivering tablet-friendly Metro for Windows8 - thereby following the herd over the cliff. And yes, I've heard the argument that "Metro isn't just for tablets - it's also good for touchscreen PC's" - but I'll argue that there's not a lot of those either.

Thread Information