Thread: News - Quantic Dream demonstrates realistic new engine at GDC

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Quantic Dream demonstrates realistic new engine at GDC

Demonstration featuring advanced, in-house Mo-Cap.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Re: News - Quantic Dream demonstrates realistic new engine at GDC

Whilst a marked improvement over the Heavy Rain game and most certainly an impressive feat, this writer still believes actual facial expression feels less emotive than in Quantic's earlier tech demo 'The Casting' and hopes that either with time or new hardware, the firm can recreate some of fluidity of expression we saw back in 2006, tightened up and ready for an interactive game.
    Ideal "justification" for getting a PS4?

Maybe I'm just out of touch, but I thought this demo (Kara) was pretty darned impressive for a real-time render. Really reminiscent of a bit from iRobot. Wouldn't mind seeing a demo in a less "clinical" setting - even try redoing "The Casting" and then at least you could do a side-by-side comparison?

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Ideal "justification" for getting a PS4?

Maybe I'm just out of touch, but I thought this demo (Kara) was pretty darned impressive for a real-time render. Really reminiscent of a bit from iRobot. Wouldn't mind seeing a demo in a less "clinical" setting - even try redoing "The Casting" and then at least you could do a side-by-side comparison?
    I'm certainly not saying it wasn't impressive, I was very wow'd by the Kara demo. Only I thought the face still felt a little tight and under-sensitive. As you say, a side-by-side recreation would be helpful.

Registered+
    Thanks

Kara is awesome. "The Casting" was truly impressive, but there is little point in developing this technology only to bung it into such an attrocious game as "Heavy Rain".

Registered+
    Thanks

I find it difficult to differentiate between what are just graphical improvements and what are animation improvements. The newer tech generally looks more fluid and natural to my eyes and I'm tempted to say that subtle expressions and muscles movements are much more apparent too, but it might well be the better visuals fooling me...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZSTom View Post
    I find it difficult to differentiate between what are just graphical improvements and what are animation improvements. The newer tech generally looks more fluid and natural to my eyes and I'm tempted to say that subtle expressions and muscles movements are much more apparent too, but it might well be the better visuals fooling me...
    The original demo was certainly sloppy with some of the muscles moving more than they should, however I think the most subtle of movements aren't captured by the new demo. Having said this, perhaps it's that the expression overdrive as such in the first demo was key. Perhaps it's less realistic but sometimes the extra emphasis can better communicate an emotion than you'd typically expect someone to do in the real situation, in the same way you can pull off expressions in say a cartoon that aren't possible in reality.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    The original demo was certainly sloppy with some of the muscles moving more than they should, however I think the most subtle of movements aren't captured by the new demo. Having said this, perhaps it's that the expression overdrive as such in the first demo was key. Perhaps it's less realistic but sometimes the extra emphasis can better communicate an emotion than you'd typically expect someone to do in the real situation, in the same way you can pull off expressions in say a cartoon that aren't possible in reality.
    Yes, I see what you mean. The earlier demo definitely shows stronger expressions compared to Kara's subtler ones. Like you say, the latter is more realistic (and preferable for a movie/cutscene, perhaps) but I guess in general gameplay you won't be watching a character's face so closely and the subtler, more-realistic muscle movements would be lost on you.

Ravens Nest

Quote Originally Posted by BongoJoe View Post
    Kara is awesome. "The Casting" was truly impressive, but there is little point in developing this technology only to bung it into such an attrocious game as "Heavy Rain".
    Whats so attrocious about heavy rain? its one of the best games i have ever played.
    The only flaws i could see was it a little hard to control at times and it could have been longer, i personally think it could be made into a great film.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

It's worth mentioning that David Cage has made it very clear that this demo is now over a year old and the main reason for it's release is, as he puts it "fan service" and that the engine they're working with now is three iterations more evolved. I think we're going to be seeing something new from Quantic Dream a little sooner than people might think, I for one am rather looking forward to it

Thread Information