Thread: News - Amazon Kindle Touch heading to the UK April 27th

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Amazon Kindle Touch heading to the UK April 27th

Along with the rest of Europe, five months since its release in the US.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Re: News - Amazon Kindle Touch heading to the UK April 27th

But still no fire and android app store. Why is it so hard for Amazon to launch either over in the UK. Its not like it needs translation...

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Good timing. I need another e-reader, and neither the current basic one nor the Kobo competitor ring my bell.

All that K-touch needs is to put the page-turn buttons back on the sides, and it'd suit me perfectly.

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

They can stick their touch where the sun don't shine!

Release the Fire already and stop leaving us out!

*Rant over*

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonplanet40 View Post
    They can stick their touch where the sun don't shine!

Release the Fire already and stop leaving us out!

*Rant over*
    Or, for people that want an e-reader not a tablet., they can "stick" the Fire, give us a decent-spec Kindle that doesn't add 3G (and the cost of it) on. Personally, given my preference, they can shove both the Touch and the Keyboard 3G. What I want is the non-3G Keyboard Kindle 3 .... the one they stopped doing.

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

I've got the kindle keyboard for about a year now. But I would like the Fire. So, yes, if you want just an e-reader then great but to be honest I don't see why anyone would need a touch screen e-reader. Silly novelty really. I love mine and can't honestly see any need for a touch screen ......
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Thanks

I want the touch, especially as my brother ran off with my Keyboard last time he visited, however, I'm just wondering how far off a Kindle with colour e-ink must be? If you remember the earlier report: http://hexus.net/mobile/news/e-reade...-readers-year/

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonplanet40 View Post
    I've got the kindle keyboard for about a year now. But I would like the Fire. So, yes, if you want just an e-reader then great but to be honest I don't see why anyone would need a touch screen e-reader. Silly novelty really. I love mine and can't honestly see any need for a touch screen ......
    Nor me.

I put tablets and e-readers into different categories, personally. Maybe at some point the tech will overlap. But right now, screen tech is such that what makes for a good tablet ruins it for me as an e-reader.

So for me, Fire as a tablet option? Maybe. Though the extent of tie-in and cloud-type dependence says no, for me. But as an e-reader, it's an utter non-starter.

I do agree, primarily, about touch-screens on an e-reader, though. Personally, I'd rather have the limited quality physical keyboard, but a touch KB will do at a pinch. I do want those damn side buttons back, though.

Thanks

I would have thought the more features an e-book had the worse, isn't it all just distracting?

Never used a kindle but I suppose a touch screen might make the experience feel a little less "fake"?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krazy_olie View Post
    I would have thought the more features an e-book had the worse, isn't it all just distracting?

Never used a kindle but I suppose a touch screen might make the experience feel a little less "fake"?
    For me, it's simple ergonomics.

I usually hold a Kindle one-handed. On the Kindle 3, there are two buttons on the side, right where your thumb rests. A slight twitch of the thumb and you get "next page". But you can move it a fraction and get "previous page". If the touch is implemented anything like it is on the Kobo touch, you either need to tap a blank part of the page (i.e. no words, or you get the dictionary lookup) or "swipe" the screen, to change pages.

So, it's a slight twitch to depress a perfectly located button, or moving your thumb right over to "swipe" the screen.

The touch screen might well be better in terms of selecting from menus, etc. The Kindle 3 is a bit clunky in that department. But for me, the whole point of an e-reader is the bit where you're reading, not where you picking what to read. That's one of the major differences (to me, anyway) between a tablet and an e-reader, is that the type of thing you want to do with it is different. A tablet is used for a variety of things, but an e-reader is really designed to do pretty much one thing, but to do it extremely well. Hence, why I think the current generation are a retrograde step from the Kindle 3 series. Not a huge retrograde step, but retrograde nonetheless.

Oh, and those page buttons? There was a pair on both sides, so it suits left and right-handed, or in my case, lets you switch hands when one gets tired.

Registered+
    Thanks

I think given the timing now, we wont see the Fire ever hit the UK. Maybe with these rumoured 10 inch range comes in, we'll see something.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krazy_olie View Post

The original reason I got my kindle keyboard was because it was minimal and to the point and agree that this is good. I avoided other touch offerings because screen quality was worse and panels smudged easily.

After using the keyboard, I discovered that provided there's no extra layer on the screen, smudging isn't a big issue on the kindle and since the touch uses infra-red, it's a non-issue. The shortcomings I found with the kindle were mostly in relation to PDF handling and positioning, the time it took to type in words and the slow speed of the web-browser, which I used often for online novels/docs.

The touch helps significantly with the typing experience, paired with the faster cortex-A8, which I've tested on the £89 model separately, the web browsing experience is much improved. Touch helps ease the process of fiddling with PDFs as they're being read but I'd like to see more progress here with some more responsive and smartphone like gestures.

Thread Information