Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Pirate Bay to be blocked in the UK

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Pirate Bay to be blocked in the UK

Court rules ISPs must stop access to the file sharing site.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Re: News - Pirate Bay to be blocked in the UK

I posted on the BBC comments about:

a) How it's completely pointless for stopping the vast majoirty from accessing with the website due to the extremely easy practise of setting a proxy service.

b) How the music industry needs to take a look at Steam's service and how they can adapt a unified digital content distribution system to their own industry, given how commercially successful it's been.

Two people replied with negative feedback regarding the steam service, both with valid points, but completely failing to realise it's been a huge commerical success in spite of these limitations, which only emphasises it's success. These were that it's increasingly unuseful for people on slow connections as game installs get bigger, and how you can't re-sell. The first point isn't really relevant to the music industry, and the second is a compromise we're learnt to accept for the other benefits digital ownership brings.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

There are services that kind of achieve that already; ITunes and Spotify.

The problem with trying to use a model like that is, i expect music to be DRM free so that i can put it on any device of my choice and access it music from a music player of my choice, then you get the issue when certain services end up getting exclusive releases so you end up having to effectively have multiple programs to play your music.
    In general i think the music industry has adapted as best it can and the reality of the situation is that real money is now made from live shows.

The video industry is where the real problem lies, at the moment sky have a monopoly on releases and their pricing is just ludicrous. Until there is more flexibility and competition people are going to continue to pirate TV shows and films.

Trying to blame ISPs for other people pirating on their network is barmy, do we blame the people who maintain the roads for the fact that smugglers and criminals use it to transport illegal materials?
    The stranglehold that large private companies seem to be gaining on the legal system and the rules is getting so out of hand now. The internet gave us freedom and now these [cencored]'s are scraping it away.

4. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • d032sh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5b-e
      • CPU:
      • E4300 @ 3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ Platinum
      • Storage:
      • ~4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7

Quote Originally Posted by cptwhite_uk View Post
    I posted on the BBC comments about:

a) How it's completely pointless for stopping the vast majoirty from accessing with the website due to the extremely easy practise of setting a proxy service.

b) How the music industry needs to take a look at Steam's service and how they can adapt a unified digital content distribution system to their own industry, given how commercially successful it's been.

Two people replied with negative feedback regarding the steam service, both with valid points, but completely failing to realise it's been a huge commerical success in spite of these limitations, which only emphasises it's success. These were that it's increasingly unuseful for people on slow connections as game installs get bigger, and how you can't re-sell. The first point isn't really relevant to the music industry, and the second is a compromise we're learnt to accept for the other benefits digital ownership brings.
    To me the biggest advantage of Steam is that you can log in to your account and download your purchases anywhere, you don't have to always have everything installed. This coupled with the DRM is the major reason I have never even been tempted to buy anything from iTunes, the amount of people I know who've had a hard-drive crash and then battled with Apple to be able to re-download songs they have purchased has put me right off. Not to mention the fact that you have to break the law anyway by removing their DRM to make them work on any non-iDevices, is it any wonder people just take the easier option and pirate in the first place.

The whole setup seems to be to make their customers feel like criminals while making them feel they should be thankful for it... and confusingly they seem to lap it up.

Steam treats their customers like adults for the most part, well priced content and a fair distribution system... I'd take that over the ability to resell content any day.

Thanks
    • Scainer's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI GD65 Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 4770k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair (2400) DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung EVO 120GB & 240GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Gaming r9 290
      • PSU:
      • XFX 750w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG W2361V & Asus VG236
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60Mb

The fight isn't against the tech savvy, its against joe public. The average man does so cos its easy.
    The theory is if you remove the easy option the majority will not be able to do it in the first place.
    The ignorance of this is that if you remove one another will take its place.

The biggest point in the article is about Google. They are evil and the most unethical facilitator of copyright theft (not to mention identity theft).

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

I have to agree that sky have a large part to play in my illicit activities....

If only they would let me pay for what I watch - rather then making me subsidise everyone elses viewing - they would get some subs from me.

The problem is, so many subscribe and pay for what they are not watching, it causes over-valuation of the rights......and then it seems to be an endless loop of sky bidding huge amount for rights and forcing more people to subscribe to watch something (saw it recently with F1).

My last bill from sky was for £88 for the month. That was the last straw from me and it's been nearly a year since I left them.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

8. Received thanks from:

Arthran (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

For the reasons pointed out above, I don't think iTunes is musical equivalent to Steam, by rights it should be, but for many reasons it isn't; It's clunky interface, apple centric attitude to using it, not supporting high end file formats natively (flac), DRM issues, and many other issues.

Spotify is a subscription based service, so it's not directly comparable to Steam, you aren't buying the rights to an owned digital copy indefinitely.

They need to have a single system, which maybe even integrates the fractured download systems in place by the major players, and allows access from any connected device - TV, PC, Phone, Hifi - so you can access your content anywhere.

Something like what Audiogalaxy does for your local music collection, but on an internet wide scale.

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

I think the UK Government department that is behind this are probably so arrogant that they think they have solved the problem with this court ruling.

Services like Steam, Netflix or Lovefilm are all great ideas in practise to solve these piracy issues.

Sources of media that you can watch/view/listen or download at a simple monthly cost. Problem with Netflix/Lovefilm is they are not up to date with latest releases for streaming films/tv shows.

Imagine if you could watch any TV show/film for a simple monthly fee ( that wasn't excessive )

Imagine if you could stream audio, albums, songs in this same way

What ....

Really.......

That would reduce the need to even bother downloading illegal media....

No.....

Can't be that simple.......

It is?........

11. Received thanks from:

Noxvayl (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

I wonder if they just ignored this: http://www.techspot.com/news/48032-f...l-falling.html

As the article mentions I fear this will become a reason to implement worse measures to "safeguard" the entertainment industry. They will continue to completely ignore the reality of the situation and nobody is going to benefit as a result.

I wish more governments would do what Switzerland did and actually study the situation to obtain unbiased information about what is actually happening rather than the skewed bull***t being pedalled by the entertainment industry.

I eagerly await the launch of NimbleTV, if they have decent prices they will turn the industry on it's head, especially the terrible sports rights in this country.

13. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

The problem with netflix, lovefilm etc is that they cannot get the latest shows because sky bids so much for them that it is not financially viable to outbid.

Until a ton of people stop paying sky subs, the situation will not change. For me at least, Sky monopoly has forced me to stream football and download TV series....as I am not willing to pay £88/month to watch a handful of football games and a few TV series (with the ability to watch them in HD and in 2 rooms).
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by cptwhite_uk View Post
    For the reasons pointed out above, I don't think iTunes is musical equivalent to Steam, by rights it should be, but for many reasons it isn't; It's clunky interface, apple centric attitude to using it, not supporting high end file formats natively (flac), DRM issues, and many other issues.

Spotify is a subscription based service, so it's not directly comparable to Steam, you aren't buying the rights to an owned digital copy indefinitely.

They need to have a single system, which maybe even integrates the fractured download systems in place by the major players, and allows access from any connected device - TV, PC, Phone, Hifi - so you can access your content anywhere.

Something like what Audiogalaxy does for your local music collection, but on an internet wide scale.
    But steam isnt the only service anymore is it, look at EA releasing their games on origin, if you want to play and EA game now you need to use origin. There would be no way to create a single service for music because there is no way you could get all of the companies to agree on licences and terms.

DRM free is THE only way for customers to get what they need with music and video.

Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    DRM free is THE only way for customers to get what they need with music and video.
    At least until all MP3 players are "online"

Thanks
    • Scainer's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI GD65 Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 4770k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair (2400) DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung EVO 120GB & 240GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Gaming r9 290
      • PSU:
      • XFX 750w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG W2361V & Asus VG236
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60Mb

I thought the pirate bay stopped being a tracker, and became nothing more than a torrent search engine like google.
    The MPAA track activities on TPB, ISOh##t and Min##ova, so should be avoided anyway.
    TPB have replied saying they would sort something out.
    Most likely they will just setup a host on another URL just as newzbin did.

Thanks

Read about this. As usual, people will find ways around this, and judging from the comments in this thread, the workarounds are not at all too complex.

Thanks
    • DannyM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-2400
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 - PC-12800
      • Storage:
      • 120GB A-Data SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB Nvidia ASUS 560Ti DirectuII
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 620W HX Modular PSU
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" Dell UltraSharp U2311H
      • Internet:
      • 50Mb Virgin Media Cable Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    TPB now provide Magent links, which I think are harder to track?
    Magnet links stop the requirement of torrent files, but both torrent files and magnet links still require tracker information. If the tracker is the piratebay then both will be of no use after the ban.

20. Received thanks from:

Thanks

Piratebay will always find ways around these stupid bans - the only way they will be shut down is for the FBI to forcefully arrest them ... and I don't think the Swedes are going to roll over and take it in the jacksie like megaupload did ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information