Thread: News - Linus Torvalds has only one thing to say to NVIDIA, "F**K YOU"

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Linus Torvalds has only one thing to say to NVIDIA, "F**K YOU"

Declares his anger at a lack of NVIDIA support for Linux.
    Read more.

NSFW !!!!!
    Last edited by g8ina; 18-06-2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: SWEARING WARNING !

Thanks

Re: News - Linus Torvalds has only one thing to say to NVIDIA, "F**K YOU"

I'm sure that on an individual level there are people in both NVIDIA and the Linux developer community that are in contact and get along, and that Linus isn't aiming his... finger... at any contributing individual from NVIDIA. Nah, he's going for the higher-ups

Also, nobody should ever hire him to do PR, hilarious as that would be. Can you imagine the team that he and Ballmer would make?
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Super Nerd
    Thanks

This has always been a problem with Linux gaining mass acceptance, many evangelists are at best dull and at worst childish and prone to nerd-rage outbursts they should be ashamed of. Not the first such moment from Torvalds... you don't get this type of thing so much from MS/Apple and it ruins hard work the likes of Canonical and Red Hat do to make Linux mainstream and acceptable rather than something for mainstream-haters to protest with.

Thanks

I disagree. NVIDIA can take it on the chin. He didn't make it personal. There's a PR win to be had in this somewhere.

I've watched a video of Linus stand in front of a room full of hundreds of Google employees, wherein he tells them he doesn't trust them because they're all stupid. Being controversial seems to work in his favour.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    • teppic's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VI Gene
      • CPU:
      • i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16b Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 7970 DirectCU II
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 760w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 + Linux
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 50mbps

Linus Torvalds has always been direct, nobody is really bothered by it. You can't compare it really to CEOs of huge corporations because Linux itself is not a commercial product, and its direction isn't controlled by any one company. As for acceptance, the world pretty much runs on Linux now, even though it's generally not seen.

Registered+
    Thanks

I guess he could fluff it up and say something like "I am disappointed with Nvidia" or something meager along those lines but I think it just shows he's genuinely angry with their behaviour and he feels he can express it as he chooses. If he had said the former they probably wouldn't have even taken any notice but with the attention his comments have gotten on the internet I don't think there's any risk of that happening now. Whether it will have a beneficial outcome is not so certain!

Thanks
    • MrNeil's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z490 VISION G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 10700KF
      • Memory:
      • 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz
      • Storage:
      • x2 Kingston 240GB HyperX SSDWD + 480gig evo 500GB Caviar Blue Hard
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 Red Dragon
      • PSU:
      • 850W EVGA SuperNOVA G2,
      • Case:
      • NZXT H440 STEEL Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Window 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC G2770PF 144Hz and a HP 27hq
      • Internet:
      • TalkyTalk 76mb

Priceless !!!
    I never tried Linux but never really have the time to try it out .
    It show's the guy is human and also passionate about Linux
    A 5 star nexus rating i think

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Well nVidia has recently joined the Linux Foundation. So they're pretty much guaranteed to consider his criticism and respond.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teppic View Post
    Linus Torvalds has always been direct, nobody is really bothered by it. You can't compare it really to CEOs of huge corporations because Linux itself is not a commercial product, and its direction isn't controlled by any one company. As for acceptance, the world pretty much runs on Linux now, even though it's generally not seen.
    Accepted for certain workloads in the commodity datacentre and on appliances where the user is generally unaware of the underlying OS beyond the simple UI. Still not accepted as a general purpose or business desktop OS, Linux is very much still a "geek toy" on the desktop and it's far from pervasive even among those who have the technical ability to install/use it. Also not entirely accepted in high end workloads where a certain seriousness prevails and UNIX variants still have their niche. Big companies go to Red Hat for their Linux partly because that corporate sensible-ness and stability is essential, they can't be dealing with mouthy tirades.

Torvalds is a clever guy and has done a lot for computing but he needs to control his mouth and behave better so that people take him as seriously as his work deserves. He is far from unique in the Linux community too, a lot of people are put off Linux by the rude forum users and nerdy/beardy image.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    This has always been a problem with Linux gaining mass acceptance, many evangelists are at best dull and at worst childish and prone to nerd-rage outbursts they should be ashamed of.
    ... oh you mean Richard Stallman? (Although hearing him being "interviewed" by Brian Lunduke was a hoot - seeing as the term "nerd-rage" seems to fit Mr Lunduke well)
    Not the first such moment from Torvalds...
    No, the guy has a "talent" for blowing a fuse - wasn't it last month that the Gnome developers got a "Tovalds Trashing"? Therein lies the problem - if you get the reputation of being a whiny git, then people are going to stop listening to you. So maybe Linus needs to start picking his targets with more discrimination.
    you don't get this type of thing so much from MS/Apple and it ruins hard work the likes of Canonical and Red Hat do to make Linux mainstream and acceptable rather than something for mainstream-haters to protest with.
    MS? Erm - with Steve "Chair Missile" Ballmer and Apple with Steve "We're Going Thermonuclear Against Android" Jobs (I know he's RIP). So yes, both of those companies do "trash talk" with the best of them.

Linux IS mainstream - heck, I'm sure I saw some boxed sets in PCW last time I was in - although carefully hidden behind the OSX kits. Then again, there's a lot of servers out there with it on - some of which are keeping me in beer n' beans at the moment.

Getting back to the article Linus HAS got a point (imho). The last NVidia-based system I had to build was fine, up until the point that the NVidia driver set went in. After that it became a bit more complex to look after - with a couple of unexplained BSODs that I'm going to point the figure of blame towards the Geforce driver. And, remember that he's a bit of a celebrity, so his "outburst" will get column inches - even if that's unpleasant for NVidia. And (cliché coming) at the end of the day, if we - the Linux community - ends up with better support from NVidia then Linus has done his job.

Remember that NVidia wants to be a player in Android - also Linux - so they can't really decide not to support Linux in some form or another. They're a good company but putting a little more effort into Linux support wouldn't go amiss. Heck, if they were to do a spectacular job then perhaps that might kickstart the Linux gaming market ... with NVidia being the graphics platform of choice!

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    ... oh you mean Richard Stallman? (Although hearing him being "interviewed" by Brian Lunduke was a hoot - seeing as the term "nerd-rage" seems to fit Mr Lunduke well)

No, the guy has a "talent" for blowing a fuse - wasn't it last month that the Gnome developers got a "Tovalds Trashing"? Therein lies the problem - if you get the reputation of being a whiny git, then people are going to stop listening to you. So maybe Linus needs to start picking his targets with more discrimination.

MS? Erm - with Steve "Chair Missile" Ballmer and Apple with Steve "We're Going Thermonuclear Against Android" Jobs (I know he's RIP). So yes, both of those companies do "trash talk" with the best of them.
    Stallman is one of the better ones, but the key points are my qualifiers "MANY" and "SO MUCH", the bad evangelists spoil to the work of the rest, Ballmer and Jobs have been roundly blasted for their counter-productive outbursts as well which are arguably fewer in number and less severe than Torvalds who seems to not care a jot.

Linux IS mainstream - heck, I'm sure I saw some boxed sets in PCW last time I was in - although carefully hidden behind the OSX kits. Then again, there's a lot of servers out there with it on - some of which are keeping me in beer n' beans at the moment.
    Our definition of mainstream clearly differs, I would argue mainstream means used by a significant % of the market, true in servers, somewhat true in HPC, true in embedded... not true for Linux on the desktop. Torvalds being a child continues the impression that Linux is a toy for petulant geeks to rebel against Windows... not helpful.

Heck, if they were to do a spectacular job then perhaps that might kickstart the Linux gaming market ... with NVidia being the graphics platform of choice!
    Last thing the gaming industry needs is ANOTHER platform to support, there is already too much developer work to support 3 consoles, PC, maybe Mac and make mobile versions and handheld spinoffs.

Thanks

Is my memory completely off or has it been so long? I seem to remember people saying how much ahead nVidia over ATI/AMD when it comes to Linux support.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    Is my memory completely off or has it been so long? I seem to remember people saying how much ahead nVidia over ATI/AMD when it comes to Linux support.
    People are thinking of a totally different topic to the one Linus is bitching about.

See http://forums.hexus.net/software/246...ml#post2498269

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Bitching seems appropriate.. Can't say I'm impressed by this sort of thing and I rather doubt many others are either.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Our definition of mainstream clearly differs, I would argue mainstream means used by a significant % of the market, true in servers, somewhat true in HPC, true in embedded... not true for Linux on the desktop. Torvalds being a child continues the impression that Linux is a toy for petulant geeks to rebel against Windows... not helpful.
    I was referring to the computer industry as a whole - rather than (narrowly?) focussing merely on the desktop market. So yes, our definitions of "mainstream" are at odds -with me arguing that any OS that has widespread acceptance amongst industry leaders (e.g. IBM, HP, Oracle, MS, etc) should rightly be regarded as "mainstream".

I disagree with you, but fair enough - live and let live.
    Last thing the gaming industry needs is ANOTHER platform to support, there is already too much developer work to support 3 consoles, PC, maybe Mac and make mobile versions and handheld spinoffs.
    Erm, I didn't necessarily say that I was looking for support from EA, Activision et al. No, what I'm hoping for is a more "coherent" experience with the lead being taken by smaller, more nimble and more innovative players. Ideally what I'd like is to be able to buy a package and know that it'll work easily with Fedora, Mint, Ubuntu etc - all the major distros. Steam for Linux would be great.

I doubt very much that the "big budget" players will support Linux (Android excepted) since - to use your definition (since it's appropriate) - Linux is not mainstream and therefore not worth any real investment.

I'm going to agree with you though that Linus' continual bitching is NOT helpful. The only good thing that can be said is that since Linux is so "niche" to the man in the street, Linus' name carries no real recognition. Hence while us techno-literati may worry about the damage he's doing, in reality he's like a toddler throwing a tantrum in a shopping centre - most folks will tut and pass by without giving a second thought.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thread Information