Thread: News - Facebook advertising value is thrown into doubt

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Facebook advertising value is thrown into doubt

BBC finds most “likes” not really interested in your product.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Facebook advertising value is thrown into doubt

i think GM had it right when they pulled out of a facebook advertising contract.... it just doesnt work as they hype it to be

Thanks

I think it shows that any advert will get a load of worthless likes no matter what it is for with a higher percentage from the younger generation of less developed countries (language barrier maybe?).

Take everything on face value, the BBC will spin anything into a story if it suits them. Impartial my a***.

Thanks

Did anyone ever consider the possibility that American and British teenagers, for whom English is a first language, read these ads and realized that they are bogus, but Egyptian and Philippine teens, for whom English is at best a 2nd language, thought they were real?

This report is so mind-boggingly moronic that I am inclined to believe it is a joke.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

There is also the argument that kids in those countries use Facbook differently to those in the UK/US. Are we more likely to Like something we genuinely like? DO they just click every like button they see? Perhaps it's a status thing to get as high a like count as you possibly can.

It could be down to the level of maturity in the use of Facebook in those countries. By maturity, I mean the length of time most users have been exposed to FB, rather than the actual mental age of the users.

Thanks

With all of these ridiculous "contests" all over the web where you have to "like" a company on facebook in order to be entered to win is just absurd! Generating a bunch of "likes" via bribery is not advertising; and just creates a bunch of phoney "likes". Furthermore, this type fo "contest" discriminates against non-facebook users if there is not alternative entry method. Companies then "advertise" how many "likes" they have "received". Yeah, right, they aren't kidding anyone but themselves. They think they have made entering a contest "idiot-proof". But what have they actually received but a bunch of "sheep" and "me too! idiots" responding that likely have no interest in or use for the prize being offered.

Here's a concept -- try making your contest open to EVERYONE (not just the facebook sheep) and you just might be surprised at the level of response from ACTUAL USERS (or potential users) OF YOUR PRODUCT OR SERVICE you receive! Your advertising dollars are being totally wasted otherwise.

Thread Information