• crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Re: News - ASUS, Dell, Lenovo, Samsung - Windows RT hardware pioneers

Microsoft links to the info page of the ASUS Tablet 600 for Windows RT as another great Windows RT hardware example.
    Looks like a slimmed-down Transformer, but running WinRT - I like! And there Metro/ModernUI makes total sense - should be very nice to use.

Hope that keyboard/dock has the usual Transformer USB, etc ports.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks

There are other OEMs out there who can produce decent stuff (yes better than even the mighty apple ) only the stagnant OEMs are getting worried. As long as they can innovate something as good or better than the surface then I don't see a problem. The asus 600 shown above looks like a good example of this, I only hope they don't force the EU users to buy it as a bundle packaged with the keyboard, like they did with the Transformer tablets - I'd like the choice please Asus, I don't want to be forced to pay the extra £100 for the keyboard dock if all I want is the tablet. That's the reason I didn't opt for the Asus tablets before.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by martian_aphid View Post
    The asus 600 shown above looks like a good example of this, I only hope they don't force the EU users to buy it as a bundle packaged with the keyboard, like they did with the Transformer tablets - I'd like the choice please Asus, I don't want to be forced to pay the extra £100 for the keyboard dock if all I want is the tablet. That's the reason I didn't opt for the Asus tablets before.
    The problem is that Asus apparently sold a LOT more of the Transformers in the "+keyboard dock bundle" which perhaps accounts for the chunk of keyboardless TF101's that have turned up at a lot of the discount shops.

Personally speaking I wouldn't buy a TF without the keyboard dock - the combo of a hardware keyboard, secondary battery, and a load of expansion ports strikes me as making it good value, and therefore really sensible to buy from day 1 as a bundle.

But I'll admit that it depends on what you want to use it for - if you're not planning to do a lot of typing then I guess the on-screen keyboard is good enough.

With the '600 I'd suggest that - even ignoring the ports and 2nd battery - the keyboard would be useful to use with that version of Office that the 'RT is supposed to come with.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Well, Am still waiting for a dockable Tablet with an AMD APU (Maybe am not looking in the wright place), otherwise, I wont be buying, and am sure there is plenty of people who feel the same (Why Intel, nvidia, TI & QUALCOMM Chips only). Why are these OEM`s/Microsoft working against AMD? I have no idea but AMD seems to be the only one being left out, for that reason they (OEM`s/MS) wont be getting My money and I hope its a big wet flop, LOL.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by heXuser View Post
    Well, Am still waiting for a dockable Tablet with an AMD APU (Maybe am not looking in the wright place), otherwise, I wont be buying, and am sure there is plenty of people who feel the same (Why Intel, nvidia, TI & QUALCOMM Chips only).
    Why? WinRT (and Android) are written to support ARM - from what I read Intel themselves ported Android (/Dalvik) to their new mobile chipset, so if AMD want "in" then they'd have to do the same.
    Personally speaking I don't have that kind of loyalty - as long as the processor delivers good->excellent power/performance I don't care who's label is on the outside. Heck, I've got a tablet (NVidia Tegra2) and phone (Samsung Exynos) and I don't remember saying "ooh, that's got an Exynos 4 - I'll buy that".
    If you absolutely must have that "AMD powered" sticker then forget WinRT and look for an Ultrabook type device instead - I'm very sure that AMD will be hitting that market!
    Quote Originally Posted by heXuser View Post
    Why are these OEM`s/Microsoft working against AMD? I have no idea but AMD seems to be the only one being left out, for that reason they (OEM`s/MS) wont be getting My money and I hope its a big wet flop, LOL.
    I don't think MS are "working against AMD" any more than Google are (no AMD-specific port of Android?). If AMD want to join the ARM license "party" then I'm sure they'd be welcomed.

Thread Information