Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Windows 8 hosts won't block Doubleclick ads or Facebook

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Windows 8 hosts won't block Doubleclick ads or Facebook

Windows Defender is defending advertisers.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Windows 8 hosts won't block Doubleclick ads or Facebook

Interesting that it still allows Bing to be blocked...

Thanks

Windows 8 hosts won't block Doubleclick ads or Facebook
    That's a real sensationalist headline. It will block them fine, you just need to change a setting to allow it.

The hosts file should have been locked down a long time ago, given redirects are put into it by any malware not written by an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Registered+
    Thanks

Nice of Microsoft to give the user control over their browsing requirements

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Even if you edit your hosts file and write protect it, once you open a web browser it will be restored to unblock the above sites. While you can get around this by turning off Windows Defender ... Windows Defender protects your hosts file to stop malware changing it. Malware often changes the hosts file to redirect your browsing to dodgy websites and to lock you out of from helpful antivirus vendor sites.

A user at GHacks.net has suggested that Windows 8 users who want to keep Windows Defender yet be able to edit the hosts file can actually exclude the file from “protection”.
    Am I the only one who reads the above and comes to the conclusion that Windows Defender is "broken"? Preventing malware changing the host file seems like a darn good idea, but couldn't they have implemented some form of check-in/check-out system so you - as an informed user - could make your edits in peace and have WD accept them as genuine "yes I really mean that!"?

My suspicious mind also has a problem with the fact that advertisers seem to figure prominently amongst the list of "do not touch" sites...

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Am I the only one who reads the above and comes to the conclusion that Windows Defender is "broken"? Preventing malware changing the host file seems like a darn good idea, but couldn't they have implemented some form of check-in/check-out system so you - as an informed user - could make your edits in peace and have WD accept them as genuine "yes I really mean that!"?

My suspicious mind also has a problem with the fact that advertisers seem to figure prominently amongst the list of "do not touch" sites...
    99% of users don't know what a hosts file is. Anyone that does will known how to add an exclusion or Google it to find out. If an option did pop up, you'd just get most users hitting "yes".

The advertisement servers are being added as some of the less harmful malware adds in redirects to different ad servers to get the writers more money. Given that most pages also have ads, you can use it as a way to check for updates of the malware.

Anything that gets high traffic ultimately is probably on the list. I doubt there is a sinister motive here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks

Ad companies' scripts are served up on millions of websites. If you hijack the hosts entry for it you can inject code onto a lot of sites the user visits on that machine.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Sounds like it's actually doing as intended and probably as it should for the vast majority of users - i.e. monitoring the hosts file and removing redirects which would be highly likely to impact your web experience or be used to replace common pages with malware replacements.

If you're a virus writer and you want to make sure the zombie is checking in then you could DNS spoof the most common ad provider URLs to send ads in pages to your command and control server, simples.

If anything Defender is not doing ENOUGH (given the number of entries untouched above) - for 99% of users the hosts file should be devoid of custom entries and Defender should enforce this but possibly allow setting of any hosts entries via a secure mechanism buried in it's own UI and do what some anti-spam tools do and add entries to localhost for known bad/dangerous URLs. Oh and add a nice friendly comment to the file letting power users know what's going on...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Numenor's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Wolfdale E8400
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 320GB Spinpoint F1 + 1TB Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor HD4870 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Home Premium 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 37" 1080p TV
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited

Dangerous ground, this. Surely with UAC there should be a mechanism by which Windows Defender can know that a change has been intentionally made by the user. Maybe even a way of identifying that the entry is pointing to 127.0.0.1 and is therefore highly unlikely to have been done by malware.

Thanks

A lot of security software monitors the hosts file, often warning the user if anything changes it. Upon reading the headline it does sound quite worrying, but it's nothing new; as others have said, it should be doing more really.

Just because it points to 127.0.0.1 doesn't mean it's legit, in theory the malware could host its own web server locally, especially if the writers knew localhost entries remain untouched.

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

I use SpybotSD to monitor my Hosts file. Im not a massive fan of Windows Defender as to get a new version seems to require a new operating system.

Home/Small Business routers have the ability to block websites/IP's, but none of them that I'm aware of allow you to upload a list, instead you have to sit there forever entering in new sites to block. It would be really really handy to be able to upload a text file to your router to block sites, then you dont need to worry about individual PC's host files because all of them will be blocked (while this doesnt help with portable equipment, for small businesses or just multiple desktops at home this would be useful). Routers with space limitations could utilise USB/SD memory for large text files/database.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Numenor's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Wolfdale E8400
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 320GB Spinpoint F1 + 1TB Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor HD4870 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Home Premium 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 37" 1080p TV
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited

Good point, watercooled. It may be a necessary evil then. I'm sure other methods of blocking such sites will fill in the gap left by this change.

Thanks
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 32 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 20 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 Fighter 10GB OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Core View 21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGFA
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable

Quote Originally Posted by AGTDenton View Post
    I use SpybotSD to monitor my Hosts file. Im not a massive fan of Windows Defender as to get a new version seems to require a new operating system.

Home/Small Business routers have the ability to block websites/IP's, but none of them that I'm aware of allow you to upload a list, instead you have to sit there forever entering in new sites to block. It would be really really handy to be able to upload a text file to your router to block sites, then you dont need to worry about individual PC's host files because all of them will be blocked (while this doesnt help with portable equipment, for small businesses or just multiple desktops at home this would be useful). Routers with space limitations could utilise USB/SD memory for large text files/database.
    Use OpenDNS and you can block the sites at the dns level

Registered+
    Thanks

Abp.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    If anything Defender is not doing ENOUGH (given the number of entries untouched above) - for 99% of users the hosts file should be devoid of custom entries and Defender should enforce this but possibly allow setting of any hosts entries via a secure mechanism buried in it's own UI and do what some anti-spam tools do and add entries to localhost for known bad/dangerous URLs. Oh and add a nice friendly comment to the file letting power users know what's going on...
    That's pretty much what I was getting at when I said:
    couldn't they have implemented some form of check-in/check-out system so you - as an informed user - could make your edits in peace and have WD accept them as genuine "yes I really mean that!"?
    Maybe someone needs to log an improvement request with the 'Defender team?

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    Just because it points to 127.0.0.1 doesn't mean it's legit, in theory the malware could host its own web server locally, especially if the writers knew localhost entries remain untouched.
    One more reason to use 0.0.0.0 "black hole" redirects instead of 127.0.0.1 loop-back address on systems that support this. It's also a lot faster (since that address doesn't exist) and uses less resources as it won't try to establish a connection to localhost firing all kinds of network aware events and running locally installed software. Many users are running web servers and/or update services listening on specific ports and 127.0.0.1 redirects would try to establish a connection with these services. Too many connections to localhost without specifying a port number can create all kinds of problems, including extremely long log files and random system crashes if certain advanced SYN Flood or DDoS detectors are installed and block incoming ports on a network loop-back address as a result of too many requests. Do try however, if your system supports 0.0.0.0 redirects before using them with all DNS targets you'd like to block with specific redirects in your HOST file! Cheers!
    Last edited by howdee; 20-08-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information