Thread: News - HP CEO Meg Whitman says firm will again offer a smartphone

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - HP CEO Meg Whitman says firm will again offer a smartphone

Is it the HP Bender, running Android Ice Cream Sandwich?
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Malphas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 750
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Dominator 16GB (4x4GB)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB and a bunch of hard drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 660
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-6B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 (64 bit)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW
      • Internet:
      • 24Mbps ADSL

Re: News - HP CEO Meg Whitman says firm will again offer a smartphone

The problem is trying to sell a combined hardware and software smartphone simply isn't going to work unless you happen to be Apple. They could just sell phones running Android, which would require no effort and would be an almost guaranteed success, but then you're basically in a commodity market, and the margins are becoming absolutely razor thin as Chinese players like Huawei and ZTE are muscling further in all the time. The real money is in controlling the software stack and taking a cut from app sales, but HP are hardly qualified to get into that game, even Microsoft are going to have a hard time pushing WinPho so I'd rate HP's chances of having a successful operating system as slim to none.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Re: News - HP CEO Meg Whitman says firm will again offer a smartphone

Meg Whitman, CEO of Hewlett-Packard admitted the company is “working on” a new smartphone product with which to succeed in the market.
    Dumb idea. Strike that - I meant ... REALLY dumb idea.
    Incidentally an HP smartphone has recently appeared in benchmark results, codenamed “Bender”
    Sorry, it's got to be said ... if they think I'm buying that then they can kiss my shiny metal ass (one for all the Futurama fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malphas View Post
    The problem is trying to sell a combined hardware and software smartphone simply isn't going to work unless you happen to be Apple. They could just sell phones running Android, which would require no effort and would be an almost guaranteed success, but then you're basically in a commodity market, and the margins are becoming absolutely razor thin as Chinese players like Huawei and ZTE are muscling further in all the time. The real money is in controlling the software stack and taking a cut from app sales, but HP are hardly qualified to get into that game, even Microsoft are going to have a hard time pushing WinPho so I'd rate HP's chances of having a successful operating system as slim to none.
    Kind of agree here - I can't really see an "HP angle" in this - after all Samsung have got the design angle sewn up. Only real USP I can see for Bender (hee hee hee!) is if it's OS is somehow extended to fit more easily into a corporate environment - so it prints to wireless printers (HP ones of course), has one-step integration into Exchange, etc, etc. Smartphones are a bad idea, tablet on the other hand, not so much...

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thread Information