Thread: Reviews - Windows 8 - Part One: The Rebirth

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Reviews - Windows 8 - Part One: The Rebirth

Microsoft's reimagined and reinvented operating system under the microscope.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • dfour's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair 8 Hero wifi
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700x
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Dark pro @3600
      • Storage:
      • sabrent and wd nvme + 3 TB storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Vega 64 Strix water cooled
      • PSU:
      • Fractal design Ion+ 760p
      • Case:
      • Lian Li 011D custom water cooled
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC agon 32" + Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Zen Fibre @72 meg

Re: Reviews - Windows 8 - Part One: The Rebirth

Look forward to reading the second part and that might make me decide if its worth bothering with on a gaming desktop.

Keep it up Hexus

Registered+
    Thanks
    • chates's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T-SE
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 6GB Corsair XMS 3
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Vertex 2 + HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Hyper 620W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus 24" LED

Very interesting, also looking forwards to part 2. I've generally been of the opinion that there is no point upgrading my PC as I don't have a touch screen, but I would like to know what the experience is like without one

Thanks

I like Windows 7 on my main pc. Touch is a complete waste of time on that machine because my arms are not long enough to touch the screen! If it works sensibly without touch I may give it a go on my main machine.

I will be installing it on my HTPC though. Tiles make more sense on a screen 8 ft away then a standard desktop. The fact the WMC has not been upgraded, there is no Blu-ray support does rather worsen the idea. When XBMC get proper native blu - ray support and the TV back end becomes mature, W8 goes on the HTPC as well

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

The Modern UI adorning the Windows 8 Start screen is so different that many users will initially feel lost, and a thorough demonstration - or better still, a video detailing the new interface - should be here to help newcomers get accustomed to navigating Windows 8.
    I really hope that the comment above gets back to someone in the Windows development team at Microsoft. That was the experience of one of my relatives who got "dropped in the deep end" (his words) of Windows 8 this weekend, having been a happy Windows 7 user previously. More information for folks transitioning (especially if the upgrade packs are going to be popular this Christmas) would be highly desirable.

I might have a Windows 7 -> 8 migration to do at Christmas, so I'm hoping that the User Migration Assistant that I used to go from XP to 7 is still available for the 7 to 8 jump. That really did make the process of moving a user from older OS to a new one a no-brainer.

Can't help thinking though, that if touch is such a big part of the whole Windows8/MUI "experience" then there's surely scope for the manufacturers of touch screen monitors to do some kind of discount deal on the Windows8 software upgrade with their products to drive demand.
    I'll echo the statements of the folks above - good article and I look forward to part 2.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

My wife who uses a computer all day as part of her job (Customer Services using a PC as a data entry/query tool in the local council) has given Windows 8 the thumbs down. She said it would make her job harder and be more complicated and time consuming to use.

She also pointed out that because of the nature of her job she has to have several programs running AND on screen at the same time and be able to cut and past between them very quickly. She said the 'App' environment would be useless to her and all the others at work.

Bearing in mind that it takes her system 20 minutes to boot, login (separately) to about a dozen bespoke packages and be ready to start working her IT department wouldn't have a clue how to get Windows 8 up and running in any sort of useful manner. As they insist that the whole council all use one OS hten they will be sticking with Windows 7 for a very long time! (They only upgraded from XP to Windows 7 a couple of months ago after lots of problems!).

She said Windows 8 looks OK for on a tablet or phone but looks stupid on a desktop PC, especially as there are hardly any touch enabled ones around and no one has the money to waste on new monitors just for a gimmick. Her view was that Microsoft should have released 2 products "Windows 8 Touch" and "Windows 8 Desktop" and each of those should have come in 2 'flavours'... "Standard" and "Pro". Windows 8 Touch should also come with both x86 and ARM on the same disc so you could just choose which to install.

The economic climate is all wrong for launching such a major change of paradigm.

We won't be getting Windows 8 and will wait to see what Windows 9 is like... hopefully more like what she suggested:

Windows 9 Touch (x86/ARM on single disk)
    Standard [Retail version: £39.99, upgrade version £19.99 - both on disk!]
    Pro [Retail version: £49.99, upgrade version £25.99 - both on disk!]
    Windows 9 Desktop (x32/x64 on single disk)
    Standard [Retail version: £39.99, upgrade version £19.99 - both on disk!]
    Pro [Retail version: £49.99, upgrade version £25.99 - both on disk!]

Thus you go into a shop/online and choose Tablet or PC, then Upgrade or Retail, then Standard or Pro. Simple clear steps, well priced.

Thanks
    • ladcrooks's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GIGABYTE EX58-UDR3
      • CPU:
      • i7920 @ 3.4ghz - NOCTUA SE1366 NH-U12P
      • Memory:
      • Patriot Viper 6GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD 7970 OC WindForce
      • PSU:
      • SEASONIC M12D 750W QUAD GFX
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-B10
      • Operating System:
      • win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32'' LGTV 1080p

So you tell me whose gonna touch their 30 inch screen? I believe you get an app to make any screen do this!

Cos I am not going to go down that route, imagine all that bloody cleaning, anyone thought of that? Ok to wipe ur silly android 7 inch screen on ur jumper sleeve!
    Toys, toys, toys, that's all they are to me, - just my view only!

Look and see in a few years time when spec savers will be the biggest company on the planet! Why? Because of all these silly gadgets kids want, oh and grown ups.
    My nephew was watching a film on something like 4'' screen! Blaaa! Blaaaa! All these poxy gadgets have taken over most of your tech sites! Oh the good ole days are gone.

Registered+
    Thanks

Great article, I'm looking forward to part 2.

I installed Windows 8 onto my laptop on Saturday and I'm very pleased with it.

I've had no driver issues and happily played a few games on it. Not bad considering the laptop is 4 years old.

I went through my list of activities for a new build PC and was happy to find a couple of them were unnecessary: no need to download Microsoft Security Essentials as it is incorporated into Windows Defender; Graphics driver up-to-date and working fine.

The new UI really suits my taste. It's refreshing to see a personalized and active screen when you log in. All the active tiles showing up-to-date news/sports/etc.

Programs and apps are easy to launch and the desktop is one click away.

Search is a dream, no more faffing around on the Start button.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tickleonthetum View Post
    She also pointed out that because of the nature of her job she has to have several programs running AND on screen at the same time and be able to cut and past between them very quickly. She said the 'App' environment would be useless to her and all the others at work.
    I don't presume to understand your wife's operating environment but, just to pick you up on the comment I have quoted, the desktop is still available. Everything you did on the Desktop in Windows 7 you can do in Windows 8.
    Apps themselves are less flexible (I mean the 'new' apps as MS is referring to legacy programs as apps too) but they too can be shown side by side etc.

OilSheikh

This app way of thinking is what will cause Microsoft to have bad sales for Windows 8. Mark my words!

Already looking forward to Windows 9 next year

Thanks
    • tribaljet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel HM65
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-2820QM
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Transcend DDR3-1600
      • Storage:
      • 1TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 3000 + Nvidia Geforce GT 555M
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64bits

Having been quite happy with Windows 7, Windows 8 presented itself as a lighter and higher performing Windows 7 that just happened to have a new UI slapped on top of it. Half an hour in, and Windows 8 now boots straight to Classic Desktop, Modern UI doesn't pop up for even a single second.

While there might be people looking forward to Modern UI without touch-enabled hardware (as odd as it might sound), the new UI is definitely geared towards such hardware, and it's definitely made to feel smooth while using. I personally have no interest in Modern UI, but the Windows 8 core is very solid and still customizable enough to become as usable as Windows 7.

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Fine for faddish touchscreen toys, rubbish for everything else.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    Fine for faddish touchscreen toys, rubbish for everything else.
    Please explain why it is rubbish for everything else?

I have been running Windows 8 since it was launched I am finding my way round easily, all my programs run on Windows 8 as they did on Vista.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff I View Post
    (wasabi: Fine for faddish touchscreen toys, rubbish for everything else.) Please explain why it is rubbish for everything else? I have been running Windows 8 since it was launched I am finding my way round easily, all my programs run on Windows 8 as they did on Vista.
    I think that what wasabi is getting at is the usual MUI complaint that for non-touchscreen users it's actually getting in the way - pretty but not necessarily productive. Actually my relative's experience so far (new Samsung all-in-one) is that there's really not anything that MUI is doing that gives him that "ooh, that's clever" feeling. Instead it's a case of frustration at "how do I do X".

Just finished using the MUI-like dashboard for the XBox, and while it was very usable there were some omissions. e.g you can play a game/dvd/etc but can't eject the disk using the touch/gesture UI, but you can with the controller based UI. I'm willing to bet that Windows8's implementation is similar.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Drum & Bass Till I Die deejayburnout's Avatar
    Thanks
    • deejayburnout's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 2600 at stock speeds ( for now)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x Corsair 8GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Gigabyte 128GB M.2 PCIe x2 NVMe SSD, 120GB Kingston SV200, 2 x 1TB WD Drive, 2 x 2TB WD Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix RX 580 8G Gaming OC Edition
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 750 Watt
      • Case:
      • NZXT Noctis 450
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM65-P Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 72mb Down 19mb up - Vodafone

Interesting read but i just don't like the new UI.

Was expecting higher spec pc required also.
    Better to Burn out than Fade Away
    Check out my Youtube channel - Crispy Crisperson

Technojunkie
    Thanks

Even if you just use the classic mode (almost identical to w7), I find it feels much faster than windows 7 - or XP
    -and I've been using XP on many PCs in favour of vista/7 in the past, win8 is faster.

Can you do everything in the tile interface ? No.

Do you even have to ? No - IMO win8 is a good performance upgrade for windows 7 even if you don't use the tile interface...
    Chrome & Firefox addons for BBC News
    Follow me @twitter

Thread Information