Thread: News - Google branded touch enabled Chromebook coming Q1 2013

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Google branded touch enabled Chromebook coming Q1 2013

Big G tentatively orders 200,000 units from Compal Electronics and Wintek.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Google branded touch enabled Chromebook coming Q1 2013

Hope this comes with a high DPI display and Samsung's 28nm quad-core Exynos 5450.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Have to say (since I'm currently trialling the open-source Chromium OS on a VM) I don't really see the benefit of a touch-screen. Chrome OS simply isn't built for it. It'd have the same issue as running a Win 7 laptop with a touch screen - you have to reach over the keyboard, and the touch target areas are too small.

Now, if this was actually a touchscreen laptop running a modded version of Android, and Google had decided to push Android as an entry-level laptop OS, that would be less surprising - I'm also running an ICS x86 VM and it works surprisingly well with a keyboard & mouse (although certainly not perfectly). But then I'd expect this to be a convertible device to get the proper benefit from having a bridging OS, and it doesn't sound like that's the case.

One for the face, I think...

Thanks
    • CampGareth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ?
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 3740QM @ 2.7-4.1GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB corsair/samsung 1600MHz SODIMM
      • Storage:
      • 1x240GB Intel 335 SSD, 1x250GB samsung 5400rpm HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Dual GTX680Ms in sli
      • PSU:
      • 300W brick
      • Case:
      • Clevo P370EM
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Crossover 2720MDP 2560x1440 IPS, Cibox 22" 1680x1050 TN, internal 17.3" 1080p LG matte
      • Internet:
      • Ask4 50/6 fibre

Well now I'm curious. I was gonna buy an ARM Samsung Chromebook in January anyway to replace my 5 year old thinkpad for mobile usage, and I was probably gonna make Android the main OS on that Chromebook with Ubuntu as a secondary. Considering that usage the touchscreen version would make perfect sense, assuming it also uses an ARM processor and maybe has a longer battery life, more like 9-12 hours as the Samsung Chromebook is capable of with modifications to use the spare space.

I'll be interested to see what happens here.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sykobee View Post
    Hope this comes with a high DPI display and Samsung's 28nm quad-core Exynos 5450.
    High DPI agreed but after reading Anandtech's review of the recent XE303 Exynos based Chromebook I think they really need to occupy a level above tablets in the performance stakes. No point in pitching Chromebooks to compete with tablets like the Nexus 10 as they won't compare favourably, same performance but heavier and without Android apps doesn't sound like a marketing winner to me.

Cheaper Intel/AMD CPUs in the ~10-20W range (i.e. not Atom) seem about right for this class of device to me, the niche seems to be "Mobile Internet Terminal" and so a Chromebook has to be unlimited web, its no good if things are slow or badly supported (which Anandtech did say some things were - see bottom of http://www.anandtech.com/show/6422/s...s-cortex-a15/5). Needs to be like an Ultrabook but made slimmer/thinner/cheaper by using a small SSD, no Windows install etc

Caveat, I've not used a Chromebook for daily driving but I know a tablet often frustrates me with it's limitations whilst a Ultrabook sized laptop gets things done but is a bit too heavy and expensive for what I need on the move - there is a middle ground and a Chromebook could be it.
    Last edited by kingpotnoodle; 27-11-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: More info/links.

Thread Information