Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reviews - Nokia Lumia 620

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Reviews - Nokia Lumia 620

Meet the best smartphone available for under £150.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Reviews - Nokia Lumia 620

Looks like they're going in the right direction in their budget smartphones, but will consumers bite?

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Good review!

From the sound of it, this'd be a great little device to migrate someone to who'd either got one of those dirt cheap Samsung Android smartphones (Galaxy Ace, Mini, Mini 2, etc) or a dumbphone. And I like the comment about the plastic backs not being flimsy ... see Samsung, plastic battery cases don't have to be crappy! (The one on the S3 is shocking)

Shame about the lack of wireless charging - seems like a wasted opportunity to sell some accessories.

One question though - I'm assuming that being a smartphone this'd need a basic (250MB/month?) internet connection, but I've seldom seen a PAYG tariff that included any amount of data. Has that changed?

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Some PAYG tarrifs have offers along the lines of Top up £10 per month and get 100meg free!

At the end of the day I find when I'm abroad in some contries I use little data, only really using it for email (push email) which depending on the mail service you use can be very little. I used about 8meg on an Exchange server in 2 weeks, its all compressed, and I have it only download the first part of emails, not attachments. I bought a 20meg pack in Vietnam last time, along with an unlimited data sim (I was worried about network coverage, and for $2 a 20meg packup sim I thought was a fair deal). I was using a now old Omnia 7, running 7.8. I used it a lot more heavily when I had WiFi.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Good review!

From the sound of it, this'd be a great little device to migrate someone to who'd either got one of those dirt cheap Samsung Android smartphones (Galaxy Ace, Mini, Mini 2, etc) or a dumbphone. And I like the comment about the plastic backs not being flimsy ... see Samsung, plastic battery cases don't have to be crappy! (The one on the S3 is shocking)

Shame about the lack of wireless charging - seems like a wasted opportunity to sell some accessories.

One question though - I'm assuming that being a smartphone this'd need a basic (250MB/month?) internet connection, but I've seldom seen a PAYG tariff that included any amount of data. Has that changed?
    everytime you top up on three they give you 150mb which lasts 90 days, including £5 top ups.

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

This handset is going to do well.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

One question though - I'm assuming that being a smartphone this'd need a basic (250MB/month?) internet connection, but I've seldom seen a PAYG tariff that included any amount of data.
    Buy phone on PAYG.
    Throw away PAYG SIM.
    Get cheap SIM-only monthly package.
    ????????????
    PROFIT

8. Received thanks from:

McEwin (28-02-2013)

Registered+
    Thanks

Good review. I've been looking for a reasonably priced smartphone to buy someone in the family. The Nexus 4 was top of my list but it's nice to see competition in the budget end.
    Good review!

GiffGaff have 1GB/month for £10 which includes unlimited texts and 250 minutes.
    An extra £2 will bag you unlimited usage as well.

Runs on the o2 network.

Team HEXUS.net
    Thanks

I bought one of these for £120 the other week, getting Carphone Warehouse to match an O2 price. The handset arrived SIM-free.

I've got it teamed with a T-mobile SIM - Full Monty - that offers unlimited everything (within reason) for £16p/m.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Good review!
    Why anyone over the age of 18 still uses PAYG with a smartphone I don't understand, there are SIM-only rolling or 12 month deals (go check the 3 website) offering a few hundred mins/texts and reasonable data for <£10 pcm. I'm paying T-Mobile £13pcm for 300 any net + 300 sam net (so given most of my talk is to the Mrs effectively 600 mins), 300 texts and 750MB and I didn't even try hard to do better. Good thing about that T-Mobile plan is even if I go over the data they just downrate me at peak times, not the end of the world.

PAYG is for old folk with dumb phones to ring the AA, the bankrupt and super-skint and kids.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    Why anyone over the age of 18 still uses PAYG with a smartphone I don't understand, there are SIM-only rolling or 12 month deals (go check the 3 website) offering a few hundred mins/texts and reasonable data for <£10 pcm. I'm paying T-Mobile £13pcm for 300 any net + 300 sam net (so given most of my talk is to the Mrs effectively 600 mins), 300 texts and 750MB and I didn't even try hard to do better. Good thing about that T-Mobile plan is even if I go over the data they just downrate me at peak times, not the end of the world.

PAYG is for old folk with dumb phones to ring the AA, the bankrupt and super-skint and kids.
    I get 250 any uk network minutes, unlimited same network minutes, unlimited uk texts and unlimited internet for £12 PAYG. Maybe you should try hard to do better.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    PAYG is for old folk with dumb phones to ring the AA, the bankrupt and super-skint and kids. ...
    And my missus - unfortunately.

She's got an old Three dumbphone - so if Three would be happy to "migrate" her to the Essential Internet 200 (which'd be "unlimited" for her, and <£7) then presumably - like Tarinder - could persuade the local CPW to sell me an unlocked Nokia 620.

If nothing else, it'd maybe stop her complaining about me and the kids "tapping away" on our smartphones when we're out and about.

Thanks for the thought.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks

Brilliant review -
    bought one a few weeks ago, its perfect, and for 150 quid! good quality phone with Windows 8, means you always have your PC close to hand

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Good review - and you make the most important point about smartphones...

Quote Originally Posted by hexus
    Nokia's own Lumia 920 is a vastly superior beast as far as internal components are concerned - but specification needn't rule the day. It's the experience that counts, and in that regard the budget Lumia 620 delivers
    This is very true - and it's something that so many people miss..probably because of how manufacturers market their devices. When people get bored of the "iOS is better than Android" debate, they often switch to the hardware, moaning that the latest Android device is 10x faster than the new iPhone, or that Windows Mobile doesn't support 8 core CPUs.

The specification is completely irrelevant when comparing cross platform - the important thing is the user experience. Nokia do a good job here - my girlfriends lumia 710 doesn't feel any slower than my old HTC titan (both were WP7 devices) - the main differences were the camera, screen size and screen quality. CPU/Memory wise there was a difference in spec..but nothing noticeable when actually using the device.

Good on them for it - maybe if the trend continues people will realise that the specs are not the number one important thing and that there isn't a direct relationship between specifications and user experience - or at least that it's not as linear as people think...

Super Nerd
    Thanks

And my missus - unfortunately.
    Haha... there are a few younger people with dumbphones, not just the old folks... maybe I should have said technophobes! She's not got the keypad tones still turned on has she?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Tucker
    I get 250 any uk network minutes, unlimited same network minutes, unlimited uk texts and unlimited internet for £12 PAYG. Maybe you should try hard to do better.
    Yeah you're right I could, but I'm lazy and I pretty much needed to be on T-Mobile. Point is I didn't try hard and got a bundle that offered decent data (+WiFi also) at PAYG prices. Most of the general PAYG deals make you top up £10-15 a month to get any allowances, so the total spend is as much or higher than contract and inconvenient in that you have to remember to top up. When you can get the same thing on a rolling or 12 monther I don't see why you'd PAYG unless you're excluded from contracts.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Buy phone on PAYG.
    Throw away PAYG SIM.
    Get cheap SIM-only monthly package.
    ????????????
    PROFIT
    Sell the sim.......
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

18. Received thanks from:

scaryjim (28-02-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information