Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: News - Battlefield 4 unveiling teased for 27th March

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Battlefield 4 unveiling teased for 27th March

Meanwhile EA’s CEO of six years standing, John Riccitiello, resigns.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Kirano's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P67A-GD53 (B3)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Storage:
      • 1Tb Samsung F1, 500Gb Samsung F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 6970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Operating System:
      • Windows XP, Windows 7 Pro (64bit), Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 27" 1920x1080p, Dell 22inch 1920X1080
      • Internet:
      • Generally okay, occasionally rubbish!

Re: News - Battlefield 4 unveiling teased for 27th March

Now, I'm excited about this... I genuinely am... There's one slight snag though...

I was invited to the BF3 closed Alpha and played a lot of the beta too! When it came to final release... I was fine. I had one or two dropss from servers and such but generally had a smooth gameplay experience.

My friends who I regularly game with however... well, they didn't have such a smooth time of it. On launch, the game was basically broken for them - couldn't access any servers and then when they could they'd randomnly cut them out etc. Together we've played some 300hrs of BFBC2 together. Of BF3? Less than 50. If that. And there was the whole Premium Edition thing....

I'll be interested to see what they're going to do with BF4 and how they're going to make it interesting so soon after the release of BF3 (it was only a year and a half ago - they've only just released the last DLC!) to entice BF3 players away... Frankly, I think the only *really* viable option is to make it a different kind of Battlefield i.e. you could be interested in this AND BF3. Otherwise, I don't see how they're going to make it a convincing sell given that there's still a lot of play time to be had in BF3.

Unless they view us like COD players now who'll just lap up every new game that comes out, regardless of how small the iterative enhancements are and how soon the previous installment was... In which case, count me out...

*commence flame war.... now*

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

I encountered lots of stability issues when BF3 first came out too. I know there are plenty of other games released with some major bugs, but it did feel as if the paying customers were being treated as beta testers. The fact that I pre-ordered the game & got the 'Back to Karkand' add-on free, only to find it included in the Premium bundle as really annoying too. With BF4 I'll be leaving it 6 months before buying it; hopefully by then it will be stable enough to be playable, & the price might have dropped a bit too.

Thanks
    • Kirano's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P67A-GD53 (B3)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Storage:
      • 1Tb Samsung F1, 500Gb Samsung F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 6970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Operating System:
      • Windows XP, Windows 7 Pro (64bit), Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 27" 1920x1080p, Dell 22inch 1920X1080
      • Internet:
      • Generally okay, occasionally rubbish!

Want to know what's really strange about it? The alpha build was fantastic. And the Beta. Admittedly the alpha was only the one map but I never had a problem connecting to servers. The same with the beta. It was like they accidently released BF3 a few versions *before* the alpha! That said, I imagine that server load makes all the difference when it comes to this kind of thing...

Given how little I've played it and that you can get the Premium Edition (base game + all add-ons) now for the same price that I preordered BF3 for (about £25-28 iirc), I do regret preordering it! So I'm with you - wait for 6 months, let the problems get ironed out and the price to drop and then I'll probably buy the edition that comes with the complete set...

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Kirano View Post
    Now, I'm excited about this... I genuinely am... There's one slight snag though... And there was the whole Premium Edition thing....

I'll be interested to see what they're going to do with BF4 and how they're going to make it interesting so soon after the release of BF3 (it was only a year and a half ago - they've only just released the last DLC!) to entice BF3 players away... Frankly, I think the only *really* viable option is to make it a different kind of Battlefield i.e. you could be interested in this AND BF3. Otherwise, I don't see how they're going to make it a convincing sell given that there's still a lot of play time to be had in BF3.

Unless they view us like COD players now who'll just lap up every new game that comes out, regardless of how small the iterative enhancements are and how soon the previous installment was... In which case, count me out...
    I want to be excited by this - after all it'd be nice after being a little disappointed with last years CoD installment, (I still think BOps1 had a better storyline). Hopefully they're not going to do a Bops2 and throw it into some near-future setting. I also can't see much in the way of improvements possible for the campaign junkie - think that folks (like me) who do that are in for more and more disappointment, as the SP "campaigns" become nothing but extended training missions for the MP play that EA etc want you to do so they can sting you for all that lovely DLC! (yes, I'm being very cynical)

MP on the other hand surely has plenty of scope for improvements - even if it's something as "minor" as larger teams on each side. I'd love to see some feed in from something like Assassin's Creed - so special ops style missions and even perhaps ones with NPC's involved (e.g. terrorist hunt). Just no zombie hunts!

As to the "Premium" thing - I find the whole thing a bit distasteful - "buy our game and then pay the same price again for all the stuff you'd wished it'd had in the first place". And I'm not joking about the price - got a mail from EA this morning saying BF3Premium is £39.99 - which is perhaps even more than I paid for BF3 on launch day!

Still, could be worse, BF5 with the "ammo vending machines" that you need real money to use?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbobgod1969 View Post
    I encountered lots of stability issues when BF3 first came out too.
    Strangely enough, the PC version was pretty darned stable for me, and it was the XBox version that had all kind of glitches. I'll not be repeating that mistake - if/when I go for BF4 I'll be limiting that one to purely the PC.

Given that Saints Row IV looks to be hitting the shops around the same time, I'd better get saving now...
    Last edited by crossy; 19-03-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Deftee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Formula V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 3770K (@Stock for the time being)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (1866)
      • Storage:
      • 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 + 1TB WD Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970 4G
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone FT02 BR-W
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG23AH + BenQ XL2420T
      • Internet:
      • 100MB~ Virgin Media

I don't know if I can get excited for this anymore. I was so excited for BF3, everytime the previews appeared, the BF music gave me those little shivers but when the game landed I just didn't get on with it. I got roughly 50 hours out of it before it died off for me.

Please prove me wrong and give me those shivers again!

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    As to the "Premium" thing - I find the whole thing a bit distasteful - "buy our game and then pay the same price again for all the stuff you'd wished it'd had in the first place". And I'm not joking about the price - got a mail from EA this morning saying BF3Premium is £39.99 - which is perhaps even more than I paid for BF3 on launch day!
    I actually payed the £50 (or whatever it was) upfront for premium, on top of the £25 (or whatever it was) i had paid for the game and i don't feel the slightest bit ripped off to be honest. The game itself was worth the cost of a normal game and each of the DLC packs has cost the equivalent of about £10 (if you divvy it up that way) and i have easily had that much play out of them. On top of that there is the little perks like additional weapons, priority queuing into servers (which is largely pointless as most people have it anyway but does come in handy on occasion) and a different knife that allows for a larger variety of stealth 'dogtag' kills.
    Whilst the sales on Origin are not as good as the steam sales, there was recently the full BF3 Premium version available as single purchase for under £30 recently which is a MASSIVE amount of mulitplayer gaming for the price... seriously massive!
    Each different part of BF3 (in MP, which is all i really care about for this kind of game) is almost the equivalent of what you would get from a COD multiplayer, except they are all integrated into the same interface. To me this is a huge advantage and gives the game a lot of vitality, i think they need to build BF4 into the same battlelog interface so you keep the same friends and same interface and when you search for servers, you search for them in and amongst the existing BF3 ones. If they decide to go against this and try and make people start from scratch, i will be very disappointed and will probably find something new.

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Still, could be worse, BF5 with the "ammo vending machines" that you need real money to use?
    and this is where i will hang up my mouse and keyboard and take up a new hobby

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Perhaps BF4 will just be BF3 with a working server browser....
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Perhaps BF4 will just be BF3 with a working server browser....
    .... it works perfectly fine?! It was buggy at first but now i would argue it works better than any other server browser for any other game i have used for years.

Registered+
    Thanks

Some interesting changes

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Based on the server issues EA are having with Simcity , I hold little faith in any online game they will publish in the future.

Also John Riccitiello's news might have something to do with the Simcity server news. That made international news , massive dent in EA's pretty poor reputation.

Show Jumper ! Word..
    Thanks
    • Andi-C's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus GENE V
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k under a H110i (4.6)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (4x4gb) Corsair 1800 DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 256gb - Sandisk ultra 1T
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Gaming 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet Dark power Pro 850W
      • Case:
      • Corsair D350
      • Operating System:
      • Window 10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • SG2716 (2560 x 1440) 144hz
      • Internet:
      • Zen ADSL2+

TIME LINE.
    BF2 June 21, 2005
    BF3 October 25, 2011
    BF4 October XX, 2013 ?

I'd say EA are looking to milk us like MW does (or did) !
    There was 6 years between BF2 & BF3, there will be 2 years between BF3 & BF4 (admittedly one more year than the MW series).

I had no problem with paying for Premium, I've wasted more money on games that are let for the side or in my Steam account doing nothing.

Yes BF3 has/had issues but what game doesn't ? Look at Black ops, it was a mess - Sim City, a server joke. the list goes on...EA have sort to fix the issues in a timely manor unlike some other developers !

I'll continue to play BF3 & will have an eye on BF4 but I will have the other eye on Arma III !

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Quote Originally Posted by Andi-C View Post
    TIME LINE.
    BF2 June 21, 2005
    BF3 October 25, 2011
    BF4 October XX, 2013 ?

I'd say EA are looking to milk us like MW does (or did) !
    There was 6 years between BF2 & BF3, there will be 2 years between BF3 & BF4 (admittedly one more year than the MW series).
    You've missed Battlefield Bad Company 2 (assuming we are talking PC launches)

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

I enjoyed BF3's single player but found it relatively short. I didn't play multiplayer because I refuse to use PunkBuster and won't play BF4 if it requires PunkBuster. So I will wait and see what their choice is with regards to anti-cheat software before I even consider getting it.

I hope the resignation of EA's CEO allows them to make changes that improves the way they treat their customers because their current business practise is not beneficial for us.

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster0101 View Post
    You've missed Battlefield Bad Company 2 (assuming we are talking PC launches)
    He also missed Battlefield 2142, my favourite of all the Battlefield games, which was out in 2006.

So a full list of major Battlefield PC releases reveals a relatively steady release cycle over the last 10 years.

2002 - BF1942
    2004 - BF Vietnam
    2005 - BF2
    2006 - BF2142
    2010 - BF BC2
    2011 - BF3

If anything the anomaly in that list is Battlefield Bad Company 2 and that is mainly because of the popularity of BF2 + BF2142 and also because they began making Battlefield for consoles in that time. So they were making Battlefield games for PC regularly for years before the gap happened.

So far I have played all the PC versions of Battlefield including the Play4Free and Heroes versions but I doubt I'll play another because I've decided not to accept the terms and conditions required to use PunkBuster.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

So you bought BF3 for the campaign?
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information